Cows---Cows-- more Cows!!!

DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #5897
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,798
And cowboys and cowgirls

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #5898
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

These horses running on the road were just awesome.

The climbing in here was extremely rutted, rocky and difficult.
I do remember Dave on the BMW800GS wondering if he should bail out here---not knowing his riding ability I wondered what he'd do.
He soldiered on and I found out real quick he was a better rider than I was as he ate this stuff up.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #5899
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Smith creek

to Twin creek roads. It was a little dusty.

and rutted. Did I mention it was rutted? LDF took a little tumble.

In the photos you've seen of us coming up this hill, now you understand why Francine was dragging her feet.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #5900
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Those washed out tracks reminds me of the ones we encountered in Nevada on the TAT. Only there both ruts were two feet deep, in both tracks, and you had to side hill it left, right or ride the center. Then the rain-washed gully would cross the center or side and you had to clinch it real tight and ride across to a new line. Dicey! Especially down a steep hill...

Terrific ride report; I'm so jealous....
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #5901
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
The climbing in here was extremely rutted, rocky and difficult.
I do remember Dave on the BMW800GS wondering if he should bail out here---not knowing his riding ability I wondered what he'd do.
He soldiered on and I found out real quick he was a better rider than I was as he ate this stuff up.
Yeah, ate this stuff up. I wouldn't exactly use those words, in fact I was thinking the highway to Burgess Juction was looking pretty good.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #5902
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Continuing,

I'll see if I can squeeze out a couple posts before work.

Needless to say, we were having a ball.

hill climbs, water crossings,

and great weather.

It flattened out a bit, and for some reason I was out front -- (Dave probably stopped for photos, Dingweeds probably saw an antelope, and BigDog probably stopped for an old man coffee break ). We had a left turn onto a small road that just didn't look right. It wasn't gated or locked, but it wasn't a road, just a space between two fences about 6ft. apart.

I turned around and caught the group at the bigger road, and we quickly figured out a go-around that took us down by the Burlington Northern line.

Turns out the other end of that "road" came out smack in the middle of a ranch complex. May have been a public right-of-way, but I don't think we missed much, and didn't add more than a couple of miles.

I think that may have been the only reroute of the day.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 12-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #5903
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On the go-around

we were treated to a couple BN locomotives.

and we certainly didn't lose time on these kinds of roads.

at least until we ran into these guys. (I don't think they were wild -- see the brand)

We were surrounded,

they just kept coming.

Dingweeds approved.

I don't know if I was the only one who noticed they came out of the XX ranch... which begs for some innuendo about being hung like a horse. But I will refrain.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:41 AM   #5904
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back on our route

we had a quick run up CR-144,

that actually popped us back into Montana, clipping into the Crow Reservation for a few miles.

We were getting to the one turn off that I was really depending on. Marble Quarry road. If it was gated or closed, we were in for a long backtrack or go-around. But first, we had one more gauntlet to run.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #5905
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Saturday chores

They really did give us a wide berth. They didn't exactly smell like roses either.

The Country Road definitely had some traffic. This guy was hauling the mail.

or would be, if you know, someone were to mail a cow.

The road started to deteriorate a bit,

and we hit some deep sand patches, which made me quite nervous, 'cause Marble Quarry road was supposed to be the little trail that split off this "big" road.

Score! Now lets see what kind of trouble we can get into.

After work, the hellclimb.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #5906
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,230

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #5907
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

More Day 8---Sept. 15th, 2012

After we turned off the main dirt road------Red Canyon Creek Rd. we turned SW into Halfway Canyon towards Salt Ridge.
As the Doc said----we were so glad there was no gate or private sign.

We had no idea if we could get thru on Marble Canyon road-------not a road per se------a rough jeep trail at best.

We rode across the rutted up cattle path for miles and started a gentle climb.

I think Dave's bike got a little "wonky" here.

Dr. Rock stopped to take a picture early on in the climb out of the valley.
I was leading and it got really tough-------I mean really tough and I hoped I never got stopped as I thought I'd never get going again.
I kept the WR250R pulling up the hill in first gear almost coming to a stop many times.

I was the first to get to the summit and it was pretty warm---more from the physical exertion than anything.
Like I said it was a very tough climb and a lot of luck had to be with you to make it unscathed------I wasn't good----I was lucky. I think everybody struggled on this climb.

I waited up there a long time before finally Scott almost gets to me. What's behind him was a steep brutal loose rock climb.
Unless I've forgotten---this might have been the hardest rocky steep climb we did on this trip.
I never got a pic one of it------if I had stopped I might have had to go back down and start again.

Francine comes up-------but no bike.
Dr. Rock had to help ride her bike a bit-----I wish I'd let him ride mine------I was exhausted.

We sat here in the shade----had a snack----lot's of water and felt so good at what we had just conqered.

You go girl-------as they say !!!!!
Like I said-------we have never heard of anybody riding thru here. I'm sure they have--but very few.
You can see the valley we climbed out of------I think we are at about 7,000 ft. altitude here.

I'm thinkin' this pic needs a caption---not sure what---but it needs one.

I just checked my topo mapping software and we had climbed about 2,500 ft. out of that valley to the top of the hill---but kept climbing
and when we reached the summit, we had climbed 4,500 ft. approx.

Here's a topo map of the climb we made---this is just to the top of the "Hillclimb"---not all the way to the summit.

I'm going to quit here till Dr. Rock catches up----I bet he's got a great video of that climb.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 06:22 AM
Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #5908
bsheet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
This looks like an awsome route. Great report!
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #5909
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Welcome back!

Really nice to be back on "track"...rollin' along with this RR.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #5910
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The "gentle"

part of the climb... before it got steep. And man, what a view! Nothing for 360.

and aside from the lack of proximity to any flavor of fast-food outlet... it was a perfectly good road.

It doesn't look so steep, but you can hear it if you listen to the engine.

Someday, there will be a white rim trail over there. (That's where we'd come from... I think we were back in WY again.)

Have a good look at Dave's right rear blinker. The steep part's coming up.