Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #5941
bsheet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Greats pictures and vidieo's ! This route looks absolutely awsome, particularly this day's section. This one goes in the bucket list for sure.
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #5942
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
We consistently get 45mpg, +/- 3mpg on the drz's. Even slip clutch.

Posting from the field; please excuse brevity & misspellings.

My KLX400R got mid 50's commuting to work ~45 miles a day IF I rode sanely, 48-50 if not.

The R model is the offroad version which had a little higher compression and a pumper carb. The S version Doc and LDF ride have neither.

The XLR I ride now get 40 on a an easy day with less giddy-up than the KLX.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #5943
dustyrider
dirt is just better

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
My KLX400R got mid 50's commuting to work ~45 miles a day IF I rode sanely, 48-50 if not.

The R model is the offroad version which had a little higher compression and a pumper carb. The S version Doc and LDF ride have neither.

The XLR I ride now get 40 on a an easy day with less giddy-up than the KLX.
Interesting. Thanks, Taco250.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #5944
SoosCreek
Angle of Repose...

Oddometer: 121
What were they thinking?

Given what you saw in the video and pictures from the morning ride before I joined the gang in Burgess Junction, I can only imagine what they were thinking as I showed up on the 1200GS... Big bike, short heavyset guy, etc. Can he handle this? or How long before he crashes? or, Does he have MediJet Insurance?

I had read all the previous Mobius' and had been able to follow the first week of Mobius 10 with the reports from the other riders (Tony, etc.). So I had an inkling what was in store, but if I had seen the morning hill climb, I might have just said "hello" and continued on riding the easier stuff.

But I am sure glad I got to ride with the Mobius gang for a few days. That afternoon ride with the Woodchuck Pass was really something, mostly just an ATV trail in some spots. I am glad Doc got it on video.... and in HD!

BTW, the 1200GS gets around 50-55 mpg with good gas and normal roads....

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #5945
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Thanks, Doc. 45 mpg blasting around the landscape trying to keep up with Francine is good. When the DRZ's wear out, if they ever wear out, have you thought of going to a smaller bike, or are you going to replace them with a newer DRZ? They seem nearly ideally suited to back country travel.
The DRZ's will never wear out... more on that later. If I had to buy new bikes, and set them up from scratch, I'd go with the WR250R's like Dingweeds and Big Dog are riding. Given that we already have pretty well set up DRZ's, the WR's aren't so much better, and the DRZ's not so bad that we'd upgrade.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #5946
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Well,

it doesn't look like the world is gonna end, so I might as well continue with this ride report.

The rest of the day's ride was a little easier,

but no less spectacular.

Note in the video how LDF is whipping her steering back and forth. That's probably what damaged her steering bearings. More on that later too.

Trees were just starting to turn colors in patches,

There were a couple of steep spots, but nothing too bad.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 12-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #5947
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were in and out

of smokey haze. Every once in awhile we'd get a nice view of the whole Bighorn range to the horizon.

As we dropped through the conifer layer, the shade was nice,

This was a nice stand of birch trees, we'd been looking for a stretch through the turning aspens 'cause it was so peaceful and relaxing. Serenity now.

By 4pm, we'd gotten to the Cloud Peak wilderness, and we were starting to scout out a place to throw down for the night. Remember, it's saturday and hunting season. Bow hunting, anyway.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #5948
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We'd spotted

a couple campgrounds that we thought would be a good stopping point. Wasn't much further, and we sure were enjoying the ride.

This was Battle Creek road.
The fire ban in Wyoming was only Stage I, so we could legally have a campfire in a designated ring. We were all looking forward to it.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #5949
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Past some

vibrant foliage,

with the shadows getting longer,

We pulled into Medicine Lodge Lake Campground.

and started setting up camp. We still had a few hours of daylight to cook, eat, and gather firewood.

It was like a camping gear convention... everyone was showing off their stoves and knives and saws, and flashlights.

Total geek fest. But man, what a great campsite,

fantastic company, and perfect weather. This day was the whole package, I tell you what.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #5950
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I'm sitting here

looking at the photos, and realize that there's no need for text... they really just speak for themselves. It was a great evening.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #5951
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Old 12-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #5952
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Each day we had no idea of where we'd end up-------but earlier saw Medicine Lodge Lake Campfround in the gps and maps and
hoped to find it and camp there-----------I was running way out front and found the campground and scoped out an extra big camp spot
and ran back out to the dirt road to bring everybody into the spot. We had the entire campground to ourselves.
And the best part-------we could legally have a campfire.

I had been very eager to demonstrate my new wood saw----the "Sven Saw".
Yeh----keep going Steve---your gettin' the hang of it.

Don't stop yet-----your gettin' the hang of it.

Ok--get out of the way I'll show you how this works.
We had a hoot cuttin firewood and took turns with the saw.
Everyone was amazed how quick and easy it would cut thru an 8" log.

The sun went down as it always does--what a beautiful place.
The camping was posted free---as the season had ended for most folks.
One of my little secrets is too travel after it's cooled off for the summer.
Most people go hide in their houses and you've got the best places all to your self.

It got cool that night---but all was well with a wood campfire.
A little warmer than "Campfire Substitute".

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #5953
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Appetizers and cocktails

Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #5954
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post

I'm guessing that screaming land owner lady earlier in the RR doesn't agree

The 1 st thing I thought of when I saw that photo Doc. Great stuff.

I agree that this is a very cool quote. However, Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce trail didn't come through the Bighorn Mtns. The Bearpaw battle field is up near Havre where he made this speech is about 300 miles away. Sitting Bull roamed around between the Bighorns and the Black Hills, and defeated Custer at the Little Bighorn Battlefield just north of Sheridan. You'll have to come out and we can go up to the Bearpaw battle field.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #5955
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sunset supper