Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #46
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,521
Finally, forward progress

LDF tearing it up:

Rest area:

Fresh:

It's little scenes like the above that set me thinking on a trip like this. The next half hour, 20 miles, 4 or 5 songs on the iPod... mostly thinking about mortality. Then see something else, and the internal dialog changes subjects. It's a way of interacting with the environment and surroundings that doesn't happen when stationary, doesn't happen when moving in an airplane, or interstate. Sometimes I'd save the thought, and later at dinner I'd remember and Francine and I would discuss it.

I'm not sure how helmet intercoms might change this dynamic. I kind of like it how it is. Instant gratification vs. instant Karma.

"Instant Karma's gonna get you,
Gonna knock you right on the head,
You better get yourself together,
Pretty soon you're gonna be dead..."
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #47
Nichelob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Nichelob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #48
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More heavy equipment

for heavy equipment's sake.

Flooding had damaged a drainage pipe, they were tearing it out. We could have ridden around if they had let us. But they wouldn't. Not even when I told them we had ridden all the way from New York City, and now we would have to turn around and go back.

A quick check with the GPS showed an alternate road that took us only a mile or two out of our way.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-02-2008 at 01:44 PM
Old 06-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #49
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Spring floods

This part of Arkansas had been slammed all spring with rain, and had some of the worst flooding in years. We started to see evidence of it. The White river at Clarendon is where CNN and the other networks were broadcasting reports out of. I think this is it:

Old 06-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #50
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Lost

In NYC, for some reason people are always asking us for directions. Maybe it's our wholesome non-threatening midwestern approachability.

But out here?

It's gotten a little overcast & windy.

There's no one out here...

We approach this guy in a pick-up who sticks his arm out and waves frantically:

"Does this road connect to CR-317?" (or something, I don't remember exactly).

I turn off my music, and start scrolling around the GPS. He's got a thousand questions: Are you really from New York? Did you ride all the way from there? What are you doing out here? Do you have GPS on those bikes? etc,

So while answering his questions, I figure out that he can take a second road that we passed and cut off a couple of miles and get to the highway quicker. I explain the directions and he says... "I was just on the phone with my daughter and told her I was lost out here... wait 'till I tell her I got directions from a couple from New York City!... and I was born not far from here!"

He really got a kick out of that. I wonder what cell service he was getting, though.

Probably whatever company has their towers way up on Mount Pleasant:

Old 06-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #51
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Shelter from the wind

When the wind picks up in the flatlands, and you need a rest, it's not enough to just stop. You have to stop and get out of the wind. I can't explain it any better than that. It's just exhausting, and you need to get out of it, away from it to rest.

This was just a prelude to what we would experience on the other side of the Ozarks.

See that tree-line in the distance? We agreed to take a break there.

As we were stopped by the side of the road, we saw this van, tucked in the trees. Shelter from the wind is not really an issue if you're in a closed vehicle, is it? This guy was just hiding... What was he doing in there? It was creepy as hell. What was that about?

Old 06-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #52
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

Oddometer: 300
Great RR

Keep it coming! I love my blue DRZ-S. Nice to see others enjoying theirs and sharing their experiances.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #53
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Long day

We pushed on to Beebe, AR. The forecast was for rain, so we got a room at a motel. The desk clerk recommended a all-you-can-eat fried catfish restaurant, and we got there only a half-hour before closing.

That's the only evidence. It was delicious. As was the bread pudding, made with real 'nilla wafers:

My God we were hungry .

The chef:

And sure enough, as predicted, rain started just as we were getting into bed.

The day's stats:

Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #54
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Oddometer: 493
Great RR. As a fellow DRZ owner and general Noob to all this I'm loving it! Got a couple buddies doing the TAT in July and wish I could go with, but work & finances will not let me get away...maybe one day. Glad to see it can be manageable on a DRZ! Keep it coming...

1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633
M-F 9:30-5:30pm EST

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
03 GSXR1000 (Silver) "The Beast"
wickedthunder.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #55
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
I love this idea....I'm anxious to see how the transitions between the different legs of the trip go....

Keep it coming!!!

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #56
woodworkernyc
dirty

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
We pushed on to Beebe, AR. The forecast was for rain, so we got a room at a motel. The desk clerk recommended a all-you-can-eat fried catfish restaurant, and we got there only a half-hour before closing.

That's the only evidence. It was delicious. As was the bread pudding, made with real 'nilla wafers:
My God we were hungry
Reminds me of my favorite plate:

Interested to know how the MT-21 is holding up at this point - how many miles of tar to get down to TN?

Great report - keep it coming!!
woodworkernyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #57
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Ozarks day 1

Just a great day of riding .

But first, I had to make a phone call. I had been keeping track of maintenance and figuring when would be a good day to stop and take care of stuff. On the list so far was LDF's sprockets & chain needed replacing, a new front tire for me, a new spare front tube, oil changes, and air filter cleaning.

I figured we could ride through the weekend, and with luck, get to Liberal, KS by monday. I called ahead to Milhon Cycle, and made sure that they had a front knobby for my bike that they would hang on to.

They did and we would pick up a front spare tube there as well. A calculated risk, but I figured if we got another front flat, plan A would be to patch it, plan B to run the spare rear tube in the front, plan C, leave the bike with the flat and the other bike gets ridden god knows how far to fetch a new tube.

[BTW, has anyone ever tried temporarily running the largest width 21" bicycle tube as a front tube on a moto? I wonder if that would work, as you could pick up one of those in almost any hardware store. ]

We'll call that plan W.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #58
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkernyc
Interested to know how the MT-21 is holding up at this point - how many miles of tar to get down to TN?

Great report - keep it coming!!
Tar NYC to TN: 185 + 444 + 358 = 987 miles

That took Bobby's half worn D606 and finished it.

New rear MT-21's mounted in TN, ~2400 miles to Albuquerque, they're about cooked...

Mine are worse than LDF's... I have a heavier ass & wrist than she does, I guess . I picked up a new front for her in Alb which I couldn't mount as I need a bmf wrench to loosen her front axle bolt.

I'm hoping to get over the CO sections and into Moab where we'll be due for another maintenance day and change the rears there. I'll be contacting Fred @ Arrowhead a few weeks before we leave. They'll be toast for sure by then.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #59
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

LDF misses a turn

This hardly ever happened. I caught one on film.

I am in so much trouble.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-22-2008 at 04:17 PM
Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #60
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Small town livin'