Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #6061
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
M10, Day 10 stats

Not bad for a late start:

The Day 10 .GPX file can be downloaded from here.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #6062
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

The Big Dog gets permission to camp in the town park again. So we bypass the fancy hotel in town,
Amazing what a big smile and flashing my big blue eyes will get you

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #6063
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Dr. Rock, how do you determine whether to continue on a road marked "No Trespassing"? I've seen and traveled many county roads, open to the public, which were marked as posted or no trespassing, but what that really means is don't get off the road. The sign poster's intent is to discourage travel but they can't prohibit it. We have a road like that on my extended family ranch. The road was originally private, but an easement was granted to the county so that they would maintain it, and also provide "public access" so various owners wouldn't be landlocked. This tactic increases the value of the property substantially. Personally I go by guess and by gosh, trying to figure whether the road is public or not. If it's heavily traveled it's generally a good indication that it's a county road but not always. Sounds like you have to make the same guess. It's particularly disturbing to have a nice thru road in a National Forest suddenly be blocked because it comes to a piece of private land within the overall boundary.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #6064
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

And then it was playtime

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #6065
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

BigDogs Camp Chair

I unloaded my camping chair----and got comfy.

Everybody wanted to use my chair---Geeezz-----get you own chair.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #6066
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

You nailed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Dr. Rock, how do you determine whether to continue on a road marked "No Trespassing"? I've seen and traveled many county roads, open to the public, which were marked as posted or no trespassing, but what that really means is don't get off the road. The sign poster's intent is to discourage travel but they can't prohibit it. We have a road like that on my extended family ranch. The road was originally private, but an easement was granted to the county so that they would maintain it, and also provide "public access" so various owners wouldn't be landlocked. This tactic increases the value of the property substantially. Personally I go by guess and by gosh, trying to figure whether the road is public or not. If it's heavily traveled it's generally a good indication that it's a county road but not always. Sounds like you have to make the same guess. It's particularly disturbing to have a nice thru road in a National Forest suddenly be blocked because it comes to a piece of private land within the overall boundary.
This was my great frustration on this trip -- hence the M10 sub-title "Hazed & Confused"
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #6067
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Got to commend you for taking the big Beemer on those rutted dirt roads. You're a braver man than I.
Good lord, if you can't take a GS1200 on rutted dirt roads what the hell IS it for??
Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #6068
SoosCreek
Angle of Repose...

Oddometer: 120
My contribution to Day 10....

Pictures from the road....

Dave and Francine always set up to prepare dinner, with appetizers. It was really nice and thoughtful.

Everyone was always being productive and moving things along for meals or in getting ready to go. My kind of people!

Mark on his "portable" chair...

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #6069
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post

Those little horsies in the back need better suspension. I'd start with stiffer springs.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #6070
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
Good lord, if you can't take a GS1200 on rutted dirt roads what the hell IS it for??

Compared to the DRZ's and Big Dog's WR, it's a freeway cruiser. Compared to a harley, its a dirt bike. So what's it for?? I don't have a big enought wallet to find out.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #6071
SoosCreek
Angle of Repose...

Oddometer: 120
The 12GS is for....

a number of things or reasons:

1) longer trips with lots of gravel or asphalt mixed with some somewhat technical dirt sections. (ME)

2) bigger guys with long legs in the dirt! See the Getting dirty with Wans, he rides the KTM 990 with a passenger like it was a 250!

3) short legged guys like me who need the 31-21 inch or lower seat height. (ME) Seems the smaller the bike, the higher the seat height.

4) Trips to Alaska...(ME)

I just need a shorter bike. Falling off a higher 250 is not much different than falling off the 12GS. See later video!

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #6072
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoosCreek View Post
a number of things or reasons:

1) longer trips with lots of gravel or asphalt mixed with some somewhat technical dirt sections. (ME)

2) bigger guys with long legs in the dirt! See the Getting dirty with Wans, he rides the KTM 990 with a passenger like it was a 250!

3) short legged guys like me who need the 31-21 inch or lower seat height. (ME) Seems the smaller the bike, the higher the seat height.

4) Trips to Alaska...(ME)

I just need a shorter bike. Falling off a higher 250 is not much different than falling off the 12GS. See later video!
-----------
I know. That was my point. That if a 1200GS isn't intended for a road just like that, well what the hell is it for? That's exactly what that bike is fairly well suited for, right? It's not really suited for riding through technical singletrack (though guys like Jimmy Lewis can), but it shouldn't be a pavement queen either. Seems like what you were doing with it was it's Raisin of Entry (Raison d'être)! (Personally I find 'em too heavy. Nice bikes, a buddy has one and I've ridden it some, but too big for my tastes. My KLR's no lightweight, but it feels like it when I get off his GSA!).

Good for you! Finally a 1200GS doing what it's spodabe for!

(OK, sorry for the minor thread hijack, wasn't intended. Back to Mobius!)

ADW screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 12:48 PM
ADW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #6073
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Today Dave departed our crew . Something about work, I guess? Since we were in the metropolis of Casper, we knocked out a few errands, then hit pavement to Glenrock to pick up our route. The day's route carried us south into Medicine Bow NF, cutting across it twice, where we eventually met some posted gates but the go-arounds weren't too bad, enjoyable even.

Dave's Mobius graduation ceremony:

Again, thanks, it was an honor to ride with you all, very enjoyable. -David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #6074
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
GREAT pics and video everybody!!! .........another GREAT day riding!!!

The Cut-Across was Fun too!!!!!

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #6075
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,028
Love the playground video! It's a good reminder of how much fun and laughter can be found in simple things.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote