Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #6196
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
We found where

all the water was coming from.

Here's the only place on the whole ride that the trials tire failed to shine:

Wet mud + grass.

Not many tires would shed this stuff. But we got through, just a little wheel spin. No biggie.

It looked like we'd be heading down from this point, so we took a break. The topo lines were packed pretty tight.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #6197
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Let the downhill begin!

This gives some sense of the steepness:

In all likelihood, Francine could have ridden down this, but it wasn't worth the risk, this close to the end of the ride, and with her steering bearing half disintegrated.

So I got to ride down twice!

But just this little section:

Further on, she did it all herself.

Back into the deciduous strata.

Uh oh, Scott's stopped again.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #6198
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Yeah,

I spoke too soon. This was another short stretch I rode both bikes. I rode Blueberry down, then Scott came down,

while Francine hiked down, and I hiked up,

Whew, the air's kinda thin up here.

-30% grade!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #6199
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

17 miles!

This was great! We were just soaking in a perfect riding day.

We stopped here to take our Christmas card photo. Usually we have too set up a tripod, but Scott did the honors this year.

(previously posted)

We got one of Santa himself:

Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #6200
jeickerman
Full of it.

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
We got one of Santa himself:

Excellent!

John
jeickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #6201
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We had a few miles

of graded dirt, then it was back on the rutted two-track: This is the road LESS taken.

NF 202:

Almost as good as Dunn Ridge?

Climbing again,

I seem to remember someone fell somewhere around here...

Yeah, that was the place.

Aren't we due for a meltdown? There's usually one per Mobius, and it usually comes when we push a bit too hard on one of the last days when we really don't need to. Especially at altitude, or after a crash. Now that I think about it, we've got all the prerequisites going on here.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #6202
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The meltdown episode

Like traveling up the Congo in that book by Conrad, we descend into exhaustion, frustration, and finally succumb to petty conflicts, petulance and stubbornness. We are not nice. We fight. We will laugh about it later.

Some production notes: This is a 12 minute video. My finger didn't quite find the off-button on the goggle cam, and for whatever reason, I didn't see the blinking green light, probably I was concentrating on riding. I have an uncanny knack for leaving the video running going into these meltdowns. I assure you it is not intentional. Subconscious, I can't deny.

The first 9 minutes is the build-up to the meltdown. The riding is tough. Skip past it if you like. Bottom line, LDF is getting tired, and doesn't have confidence in Blueberry on account of the steering bearing dying to ride aggressively. Yet she soldiers on. Endeavors to persevere. Riding conservatively takes WAY more energy. Y'all know that.

She takes a little rest. Then, at 10 minutes, she gets hung up on a rock. I pull up and hold her bike steady so she can dismount and I can ride through the 50 yards of rock garden baby-heads 'till things clear up. What she does next, well, let's just say it doesn't fail to crack us up even though we've watched it numerous times.

At 11 minutes I unceremoniously call a time-out, and hang my helmet by its strap on my handlebars, camera still running. That's why the world starts spinning. Consider it artistic. Poor Scott. What a Saint.

Enjoy.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #6203
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
DRRambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #6204
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Notice any similarities?

M8 pre-meltdown:

M10 pre-meltdown:

Uncanny, no? Deja vu all over again.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #6205
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Anyway,

How they got that trailer up there is beyond me.

Turns out we killed the battery getting restarted, but the stator was also dying, and the battery not fully charging. It took a good couple of bump starts, with me having to coast back down the hill a ways before we could keep Blueberry running.

Just like the sand-dunes episode, we'd come up the hard way, and got to leave the easy way.

That's how they'd gotten the trailer in, from this direction. Not easy, just easier.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #6206
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The second half

of the day consisted of MUCH easier riding. Some paved, even. Check out how dry the reservoir is:

Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #6207
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At Silverthorne

we gassed up. This is Scott, who if you recall nearly got arrested by a WY State Trooper for riding without a headlight, cleaning off LDF's license plate so she won't get pulled over.

We found a sandwich shop, and had a late lunch, and bought some groceries. Scott called his wife Julie, who was staying in Denver and started making plans for a rendezvous.

We were on pavement,

down through Breckenridge. No real dirt alternative as far as I could tell.

Breckenridge was pretty much as expected, though I had no idea they have a subway.

White guy dreadlocks. Never a good sign.

At least someone has the right idea, though.

Got snow?

Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #6208
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next section

was Boreas pass -- easy peasy, even a cave man could do it in a passenger car.

Former railroad grade? Looks to be.

Lotsa leaf peepers out,

Healthy people,

I guess we're leaf peepers too. Another dry reservoir:

"Mountain nymphs"
Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #6209
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
David on that 29degree slope

DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #6210
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Another steep spot!!