Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #6256
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

What a reception!

I think Doc really likes the craft beer he gets out west. Do they have such things in NYC?

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #6257
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,083

Great ride and photos !!
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #6258
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
I think Doc really likes the craft beer he gets out west. Do they have such things in NYC?
They do but the water they use makes you talk funny.

joenuclear screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 07:58 PM Reason: clarity
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #6259
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
M10, Day 15: Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012

THIS was our day off.

Chores, sort gear,

clean up, hose down.

(note below the patented heat shield / pringles can / scouring pad mess on each bikes rear plastic )

McDope was ever gracious in helping us out, giving us the run of the place, and making us feel at home,

even though he had some heavy stuff going on behind the scenes.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #6260
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As mentioned,

Blueberry was starting to come apart at the seams. Steering bearing, charging system, etc.

I'd MacGuyvered so many kludges and fixes on the trail, and neglected all but the most routine maintenance, that it was all starting to catch up with her, and Honeybee wasn't far behind.

At one point I had the idea that with the bikes being in Denver, I might have the opportunity to get them over to Sisneros for some overhaul love, but Dingweeds had an even better offer.

He and Julie would be driving the pickup truck down to Tucson, and volunteered to haul them down there and schlep them to a mechanic friend who himself rides a drz,

to a crack suspension guy, and to do any other odds and ends himself ,

so we brainstormed about all the stuff we should get done (and sketched out some preliminary plans for M11)

It's been an extensive list. Valves, swing arm, steering, and wheel bearings, resprung front and rear, scott's dampers, replaced radiator fans on Honeybee, plus all the routine stuff -- oil changes, new shoes, etc. As a bonus, Dingweeds even sorted out all the melted plastic and replaced our patented heat shield / pringles can / scouring pad mess.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #6261
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Tires:

Fronts: Maxxis Desert IT here with nearly 8000miles of mostly dirt. I love these puppies.

Rear MT-43's with 2500 miles:

Dave had a nearly new MT-43 on his WR for reference, so we measured the tread on his:

and on mine:

about 40% worn. Blueberry's is the line in between. Maybe 30% gone. I loved the MT-43's. The only issue is that their wear is inconvenient. There's not enough tread left for another 2 weeks of hard riding, but they definitely have some more to give. I'd say they're good for 3500 miles the way we ride. So we're back to MT-21 rears which give us a good 5000 miles, or 2 two-week Mobius trips.

I wish the TKC-90's weren't always back-ordered. What's with that?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #6262
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At various points in the day

we all snuck in some shopping and prep work for dinner,

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 09:12 AM
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #6263
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Finally,

with the bikes loaded, and chores done, it was time to kick back and relax.

Cocktails and appetizers in the garden,

The man is a saint, I tell you!

Spinning yarns from the trail, and solving all the worlds problems.

Okie dokie artichokie?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #6264
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

What it's all about

Delicious food,

fine wine,

and great company!

With desert,

we had some special treats,

just a nip.

More stories...

and as the evening wound down, our final graduation ceremony:

awarding tokens of appreciation, for service above and beyond, to the Mobius cause.

And with that, M10 is in the books!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #6265
SoosCreek
Angle of Repose...

Oddometer: 121
Thanks!

For the most EXCELLENT ride report, photos and videos!

It was fun to see the team in action and to follow the rest of the trip.

The rack of lamb looks pretty darn good too....

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #6266
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius 10, Sept., 2012: [Idaho Falls, ID - Denver, CO] index

"Hazed & Confused"

M10 route planning banter, and manifesto, including how to make a map overlay.
Tony's real-time update, my M10 prelude, Day 0 prep at Chez Q, taking off to the Graveley's, and camping at Clover Meadows.
The back way to Virginia City, and Bob's graduation, a flat above Sterling, past Madison Buffalo Jump, Scott's crash site,
Sixteen mile canyon, and cowboy camping along power lines past Ringling, MT.
Tony's graduation, fuel @ White Sulfer Springs, then over Duck Creek pass, ending the day bushwhacking with Mr. Connector
to Smith River where we enjoyed the Campfire Substitute™.
A morning 9/11 reflection, almost getting separated near Iron Mountain, and Northern Traveler's graduation.
A nasty hill climb, and a Big Dog flat, across the plains, our first glimpse of the Missouri Breaks, and camping at Winifred, MT.
Deeper into the Missouri Breaks, seeing elk, and finally, Dunn Ridge Road.
Across more plains to camp at the town park in Winnett, MT, chased out of town by sprinklers, [Ride report interrupted for Hurricane Sandy]
Breakfast in Winnett, past Melstone, through Custer, and on to Colstrip, where we reconnoitered with MTRider16.
Out of Colstrip, following the Tongue river, through a burn in the Custer NF, and the drama at Suicide Pass.
Gas & groceries at Ashland, a brush with the law, and camping on the Connor Battlefield at Ranchester, WY.
MTRider & BigDog's updates, horses and cowboys and girls, some technical riding, and an even nastier hill climb (and Dave's crash) on Marble Quarry Rd.
Running the ridge on Sheep Mountain Rd, then picking up SoosCreek at Burgess Junction.
A beautiful stretch up Snowshoe Pass, then riding through the hills, to Medicine Lodge Lake Campground.
Happy Everything, a frustrating day routing past the red cliffs of the Bentonite Ridge, supplies at Ten Sleep, WY
Out of Kaycee another BigDog flat, and another gated road, that MTRider got us out of. Even more blocked roads, and a retreat to Casper, WY for the night.
MTRider's graduation, errands in Casper, coffee in Glenrock, and on to Boxelder road. First fall foliage, even prettier on Fort Fetterman rd.
A nice little cut-across, then pulling into Medicine Bow, WY and camping at their town park.
A chilly morning, past a wind farm, and even more turning leaves through Medicine Bow N.F.
Into Colorado, a nice climb and hellacious descent through the dunes (Steve's crash), Repairing Blueberry's steering bearing,
and a nice supper at Walden, CO. In the morning, Mark & Steve's graduation, then more blocked access,
some great fall foliage, in the Arapaho N.F., BigDog's departure, a really great section around Toponas, CO.
More great riding, to a fabulous cowboy camp way above the Colorado River near Radium.
Climbing out of the Colorado Headwaters, a little mud, then some steep downhills. Even more technical riding,
leading to the LDF M10 meltdown episode. Through Silverthorne, Breckenridge, and Boreas pass, to Kenosha campground, and a surprise guest, Mrs. Dingweed.
Red cone and Webster Pass bail outs, Guanella pass, then a few re-routes before limping in to the McDope ranch in Denver,
where we shared some great food, drink and company, before packing up our bikes and sending them to finishing school in Tucson, AZ

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 12:39 PM
Old 02-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #6267
Animal Instinct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
These images

have been captivating since the Mobius trip originally departed.

The mental image of Granny's nipple was, well, disturbing enough to bring me out.
Really appreciate your talents.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Animal Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #6268
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,146
Thanks to all involved!
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #6269
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
WaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #6270
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Some More of the same. M10 Ends

Drying of tents..
First image upload trial to ADV...sort of a frustrating learning curve.