KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,774
Laugh Nice!!!!!

Climb back on that horse. AWESOME!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #6528
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 316
Great to hear. For a while there I thought perhaps you and Dr. Rock had discovered the edge of the universe!

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #6529
katoomon
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 64
Most excellent. The great thing about southern Nevada is that there is no bear poop. Have a superb adventure.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #6530
Animal Instinct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Fantastic news!

The show must go on!
Animal Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #6531
dsmack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thumb Most Excellent ! ! !

Francine ~ Finding your most recent update made my weekend! It is wonderful to know that you are well on the mend and willing and able to swing your leg back over your motorcycle.

I'll be following along with your further exploits with Doc Rock, living vicariously through your experiences and laughing at the inevitable foibles along the way

Ride ON, young lady!
Don
dsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #6532
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,034
fantastic news, LDF!

You and Rock always make me smile w/your trip reports and love of adventure.

Stay safe!
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #6533
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,064
Yea!

An update to Mobius, and from LDF no less.

Francine, your words are music to all of us.

So glad to hear from you again.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #6534
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata View Post
In short, my abscence from posting is directly related to recently returning to my place of employment. After 3 months of rehab including speech, occupational, vestibular (for dizziness) therapy, my physician finally gave me the go ahead to get back in the swing of life.

Upon exiting his office, he did declare one BIG exception: stay off the motorcycle for a year. How's that going to work for me?

I'm not taking my injury lightly, but you can only imagine how that thought feels. He of course can not even fathom how I would have any interest in getting back on my bike to begin with.

In the end, my expression must have spoke volumes because he did eventually compromise to staying off the bike until "all your symptoms have completely gone away".

.......Theyyyy'rrrre gon...nn...ne .

and I am in training for the next segment of this journey.

Im starting out slow. Got the east coast bike out of winter storage a week ago and recently swung my leg over her to go around the block. All with the back-up support of no other then my "Rock".

This is a huge accomplishment for me and comes with the backing of round trip air fare to "the scene". Las Vegas here we come.

See you in September.
Like everyone is saying..that is great news that you guys are getting back at it. These trips are some of the most enjoyable RR's on the site.

I for one, had no idea your situation, was as bad as it was, and that there was that much therapy needed. You or David can answer...if you feel comfortable sharing, but what was the actual diagnosis, of your issues?? Just curious.

I had a bad crash at track in 2006....highside..broke femur and cracked helmet. For a couple weeks after, I had issues seeing right on computers...especially bulletin boards. Surmised that something might have been messed up neurologically....and tried to set up an appt. 6-8 weeks out..things were back to normal. Wife has said I never been right since.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #6535
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,986
6D Helmets.com.

I just bought a new Arai (over $500) before I heard of these. This may (if they fit) be my next helmet.

I have been knocked unconscious 3 times over the years. I've Been knocked silly a few more times. I was knocked out twice with the same helmet,... I was much younger and dumber. I learned the hard way that I good thump compresses the inner foam and the helmet needs to be thrown away. A helmet will only absorb a hard impact in a particular spot once. It did it's job and needs to be thrown away.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #6536
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
6D Helmets.com.

I just bought a new Arai (over $500) before I heard of these. This may (if they fit) be my next helmet.

I have been knocked unconscious 3 times over the years. I've Been knocked silly a few more times. I was knocked out twice with the same helmet,... I was much younger and dumber. I learned the hard way that I good thump compresses the inner foam and the helmet needs to be thrown away. A helmet will only absorb a hard impact in a particular spot once. It did it's job and needs to be thrown away.
That looks neat! To bad they don't make one in a road style helmet.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #6537
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
helmets

I've never been convinced that $800 buys you any more safety in a DOT-approved helmet than $80 does. The extra money gets you plusher, cool-max fabric, spiffier graphics, better ventilation, and a brand name, but the same foam crush layer.

Until the 6D. This seems to be a significant step up in technology and safety directed specifically at the same type of crash / injury pattern that LDF suffered: lower velocity, softish impact, but significant rotational force resulting in a severe concussion. Much like a boxer taking a knockout punch to the chin.

I inspected the foam inside her helmet and similar to the observations of the 6D team for a typical motocross / off-road crash, there was ZERO compression, crushing, or cracks.

Given the badness of repeat concussions, this morning before leaving for work, I ordered a 6D helmet from Revzilla for Francine. They're certainly pricy, but her brain is worth it. Mine, not so much. I'll probably give her helmet another close once over, and if there's no damage will likely toss my stinky old helmet (which has had it's share of knocks), and wear hers, which was only 4 days old when she crashed.

Thanks for the 6D recommendation -- I'd never heard of them before, and am impressed. You can expect a review from LDF of the 6D helmet fit (not function, hopefully ever) forthcoming soon.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #6538
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Looking forward to the review.

Thanks Dr. Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I've never been convinced that $800 buys you any more safety in a DOT-approved helmet than $80 does. The extra money gets you plusher, cool-max fabric, spiffier graphics, better ventilation, and a brand name, but the same foam crush layer.

Until the 6D. This seems to be a significant step up in technology and safety directed specifically at the same type of crash / injury pattern that LDF suffered: lower velocity, softish impact, but significant rotational force resulting in a severe concussion. Much like a boxer taking a knockout punch to the chin.

I inspected the foam inside her helmet and similar to the observations of the 6D team for a typical motocross / off-road crash, there was ZERO compression, crushing, or cracks.

Given the badness of repeat concussions, this morning before leaving for work, I ordered a 6D helmet from Revzilla for Francine. They're certainly pricy, but her brain is worth it. Mine, not so much. I'll probably give her helmet another close once over, and if there's no damage will likely toss my stinky old helmet (which has had it's share of knocks), and wear hers, which was only 4 days old when she crashed.

Thanks for the 6D recommendation -- I'd never heard of them before, and am impressed. You can expect a review from LDF of the 6D helmet fit (not function, hopefully ever) forthcoming soon.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #6539
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,203
Interesting notes on the 6M stuff. I can't wait to hear what you guys think of it. I'd let someone else test its crash worthiness though.

I got a mild concussion from a low speed dirt crash recently but I also slid on the side of my face/shoulder for a bit. When I looked at the inside of my $60 DOT/Snell approved helmet I was suprised to see that the foam had rippled and NOT compressed or cracked. I shelled out $300 for a Klim F4 solely for the extra ventilation.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #6540
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I agree with this too. Styrofoam is styrofoam is styrofoam. Of course. they can vary the thickness and density, but my guess is most follow the minimal regulated requirements.

Thanks for the diagnosis David...severe concussion does not sound fun. I guess spending some of my younger years get beat around playing ice hockey, did me some good, for a future of motorcycle riding..and crashing.

Rock on, ride on and be safe.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote