Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #6556
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata View Post
In short, my abscence from posting is directly related to recently returning to my place of employment. After 3 months of rehab including speech, occupational, vestibular (for dizziness) therapy, my physician finally gave me the go ahead to get back in the swing of life.

Upon exiting his office, he did declare one BIG exception: stay off the motorcycle for a year. How's that going to work for me?

I'm not taking my injury lightly, but you can only imagine how that thought feels. He of course can not even fathom how I would have any interest in getting back on my bike to begin with.

In the end, my expression must have spoke volumes because he did eventually compromise to staying off the bike until "all your symptoms have completely gone away".

.......Theyyyy'rrrre gon...nn...ne .

and I am in training for the next segment of this journey.

Im starting out slow. Got the east coast bike out of winter storage a week ago and recently swung my leg over her to go around the block. All with the back-up support of no other then my "Rock".

This is a huge accomplishment for me and comes with the backing of round trip air fare to "the scene". Las Vegas here we come.

See you in September.
howdy. good to hear you are feeling better and heading back out west again making %99 of the male advriders look like the posers they are myself included.

keep up the awesome work!
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #6557
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
Im on the road and only have a phone so can't check your gps file but it looks like you are going right past House of Fire near Blanding. It worth the 30 minute hike.
House OF Fire, or House ON Fire?

Will check it out, thanks!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #6558
back2thefuture
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Garden of the Gods and Moki Dugway

So good to hear ya'll are goingback riding.Enjoy the RR very much.i was in that area in May, this year. I missed "House of Fire".
Sorry, for somwe more suggestions, don't forget Garden of the Gods and the Moki Dugway. And maybe the Burr Trail since you are heading to escalante.
All the best to the TEAM,
back2thefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #6559
Erik500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Good news that M12 is about to start.
Wishing you both a safe and memorable trip. Thx again for sharing the adventure.
Erik500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #6560
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,815
It's great to hear that M12 is a go. My heart has been in my throat since I heard about LDF's face-plant and it was an indescribably huge relief to see her and Dr. Rock show up on their bikes at an ADV BBQ last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I've never been convinced that $800 buys you any more safety in a DOT-approved helmet than $80 does. The extra money gets you plusher, cool-max fabric, spiffier graphics, better ventilation, and a brand name, but the same foam crush layer.
It also usually gets you optically superior face shields, and I would not discount the safety value of good ventilation and textiles that resist mold.

All that said, the EPS density and behavior actually can vary.

The shell is also a part of the design and its energy points of flex and failure do come into play.

Quote:
I inspected the foam inside her helmet and similar to the observations of the 6D team for a typical motocross / off-road crash, there was ZERO compression, crushing, or cracks.
Not all crushing will be permanent and measurable after an event. EPS does have some memory. I don't mean to discount the 6D team's work but let's keep our facts in perspective.

Of course helmet design is going to be a compromise. The optimal design to protect against a head falling to the ground from a 6-7' height (impact speed due to gravitational acceleration ~ 15 MPH) is going to be different from designs which are optimal for protecting a head and its contents striking a tree trunk at 30 MPH, a jersey barrier at 60 MPH or a wall of hay bales at 120-plus.

Quote:
Given the badness of repeat concussions, this morning before leaving for work, I ordered a 6D helmet from Revzilla for Francine.
Looking forward to the review and hoping maybe someone will come up with a road helmet using this technology or even something superior. Ideally we need a padding system that better adapts to the variety of forces it is subjected to.

It infuriates me that the helmet standards in the USA haven't seen any tangible safety improvements in four decades. Someone really needs to get the bull by the balls here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
I agree. But I also think that fit is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
I have read studies that suggest that the non -DOT (cheaper) helmets will protect you better in most crashes because they are softer and will absorb energy better at most (slower) crash speeds.
The good news is that the Internet has brought people unprecedented access to information.

The bad news is that the veracity of that information can be unpredictable, and that not everyone can be depended on to filter the information or in some cases, interpret it correctly whether due to context or lack thereof or whatever.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions about exactly which non-DOT helmets you speak of but want everyone to be careful how they read this.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:49 AM   #6561
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Looking forward to seeing you guys Sooon!!!!
Ride safe!!!
Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #6562
Henry James
Looking for Adventure

Oddometer: 346
Ride

Nice to hear the Mobius gang is going to make another run. I am Impressed. May all the Angles that fly with me travel along with you.
John
Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #6563
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post

I'm not going to jump to conclusions about exactly which non-DOT helmets you speak of but want everyone to be careful how they read this.

Brain fade..............there USED to be non DOT helmets on the market. I believe (have been told ) that all helmets now are DOT.

I should have said DOT only, non Snell.

Snell is a tougher , but not necessarily better, standard than DOT.

Back in the eighties I hit my head on a tree while in a race. I "saw stars" for several seconds and had a very slight headache. I never quit moving. I checked the helmet as best as I could. I didn't see or feel anything wrong. The inner foam felt the same all around. Several months later I was in an enduro and hit a tree at about the same speed on the same spot of the helmet. I woke up on the ground not knowing where I was at what I was doing. I walked around in a daze for a few minutes. I kept feeling my helmet wondering what was on my head. I didn't recognize my bike. I wondered where the rider was and why was i out in the woods. After several bikes went by I was able to barely remember what was going on. I rode back to the truck with a terrible headache. I was 100 miles from home by myself. I had to pull off the road a few times to concentrate on where I was, where was i going and how do I get there.

Since that incident, 1 hit and I throw the helmet away. It is a sickening feeling to throw away a good looking expensive helmet that is only a year or two old. But i have done it 3 times.

rufus screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 09:20 AM
rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #6564
Mannen
n00b

Oddometer: 7
DO like it and you're awesome!

Just caught up on Mobius12 on SpotWalla and I'm really happy on your behalf and all of us that follow your dedication to this endless tour.
You seem to be riding well, I'm looking forward to the story that will be told on this excellent forum.
Ride Safe!!
Mannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #6565
Rutsref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Laugh Cheers

Nice to see Team Mobius at it again, I see by the Spot track that they stayed at Toroweep FANTASTIC!! Can't wait to see Dr Rock's Pics!! They are doin' it right I'm sure!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #6566
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,044
M12 is a GO!

Q is "IN".

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #6567
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,477
Have fun. Just got back from my trip. Lots of rain. Hope you have clear skies.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #6568
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Washouts

Everything dirt is shut down between Page & Escalante. Ferry closed for the season. Roads are a MESS. Big fun. Heading to Monument Valley today, mostly paved :( to meet up with the Dingweeds :)

F riding fine. Slowly but surely getting her mojo back.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #6569
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Watching Mobius when I can from the road in Mexico.
Good luck!
May all your gates be unlocked

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
DRRambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #6570
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,904
Quote:
Everything dirt is shut down between Page & Escalante. Ferry closed for the season. Roads are a MESS. Big fun. Heading to Monument Valley today, mostly paved :( to meet up with the Dingweeds :)

F riding fine. Slowly but surely getting her mojo back.
Glad Francine is doing well.

Drink three of Scott's beers for me and give Julie a hug.

Safe travels.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote