User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #6676
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
One of the MANY

road washouts we encountered. On most, there were no other vehicle tracks prior to ours.

The concerning thing is we didn't ever know if we'd run into a show stopper.

There'd be little pockets of puddles, but nothing big enough to filter. This was concerning to say the least.

Can you believe this is September???

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #6677
Animal Instinct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
It's great to see you guys rolling again!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #6678
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At one point,

LDF's bike started to sputter and die. Yikes.

I loosened the gas cap, figuring the valve had gotten splashed and it'd developed a vacuum.

The complete opposite -- the gas had started to boil, and over pressured the tank. When I took off the cap, there was like a geyser of gas that sprayed up.

As we got closer to the rim, we gained elevation, and the temps cooled, but the roads were getting muddy.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #6679
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Agua

Finally, we pass a small pond for cattle (Overnight pond) and there's water. But it's fenced in, and we can't easily get to it, and the edges are all muddy anyway. hmmm. I spy a trail going downhill from the pond, and there's a dry wash,

but in one section there's still some water.

Now I have full faith in our water filter, and the water doesn't look like it's been stagnant for long. No bugs, no slime, no algae, smells fine, but...

it's muddy.

We filter a gallon or so, and it comes out nice and clear, but man, it just kills the filter.

Getting late, we have a snack, check the maps, and check our progress.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #6680
dsmack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thumb Can't tell you how happy

I was to log into the 'puter this morning and find your M12 story beginning!

Will be following along as the saga unfolds, and watching for the first piccie of LDF with that familiar smile on her face.

So good to have you guys back online! Rock on...
Don
dsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #6681
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,647
Thank you so much DOC for adding to this report!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #6682
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Water filter gear update

We had the Katydin Hiker Pro, and it's served us well, but after the muddy water experience, I wasn't thrilled that a nearly new filter could be about clogged after a gallon of muddy water with no way to salvage it, so I've changed over to the Sawyer PointOne filter (Backflush cleanable), and the Geigerrig Hydration Engine bladder.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Field serviceability. That's the ticket.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #6683
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Field serviceability. That's the ticket.

Pardon the interruption, but how much water were you carrying/cabable of carrying? I typically plan about 10 7 liters/person but don't travel more than about 36 hours from a water source.

Back to

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 11:10 AM Reason: can't add :(
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #6684
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thank you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Thank you so much DOC for adding to this report!
for your patience and support. It's been a challenging winter. Just kind of off for lack of a better way to explain. I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that John Ryan's death hasn't cast a pall over our motottude. A blue funk. We think of him often on our trips, and in general. Our annual party didn't happen this year because of the Stupid Bowl changing the Javits motorcycle show date, but we've been lying low anyway as LDF continues to recover. We've both been busy at work, and it just seems one thing after another, some good, some not... taking on projects and life stuff. No matter, we're doing well, healthy, and looking forward to April and Death Valley.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #6685
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Pardon the interruption, but how much water were you carrying/cabable of carrying? I typically plan about 10 liters/person but don't travel more than about 36 hours from a water source.

Back to
6L/person. We'd filled at Mesquite. Consumed a bit more than average getting through Nutter Twists. If we became desperate, we could have cut back north up to the interstate, and high-tailed it over to St. George (3-4 hours of riding), or just made it our business to find a spring, rather than seek water along our route.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #6686
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The irony

Be careful what you wish for. All day our biggest concern was finding water, but by late afternoon...

Rut Roh.

It was starting to get slimy, and squirrley. Just what LDF loves. Once it started to pack up onto the knobs, we started looking for a place to stop for the night.

All done.

And then it started to drizzle.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #6687
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This was Oak Grove

It sprinkled on and off, then cleared up.

The roads ahead looked even worse,

We decided the next day we'd skip Twin and Kelly points,

and retreat back out to St. George, refuel, and make a push to get to Toroweep by the end of the day and camp there.

We had a nice campfire,

With our standard-issue adulterated chocolate beverage,

and enjoyed the tranquil twilight, peace, and quiet.

Day 2 Stats:

DR. Rock screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 10:49 AM
Old 03-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #6688
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius 12, Day 3

Oak Grove to St. George to Toroweep.

We get an early start, and LDF is starting to feel comfortable riding through some of the rough stuff on her own again. :pond

It's all mental, she has the skills, she's in great shape, the bike is capable... just a matter of getting her head in the right place to take it on without hesitation or fear.

Mostly flat and fast out to St. George,

A little disappointed that we didn't make it all the way to the rim, but the point is to enjoy the ride, not to beat ourselves up. And enjoying the ride we are:

Old 03-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #6689
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
6L/person. We'd filled at Mesquite. Consumed a bit more than average getting through Nutter Twists. If we became desperate, we could have cut back north up to the interstate, and high-tailed it over to St. George (3-4 hours of riding), or just made it our business to find a spring, rather than seek water along our route.
(Thanks, I realize I can't add, at least on a Sunday morning. Meant to say I carry 7L/ person, sorry again for the interruption--digging the report!)

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #6690
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Beautiful views

Rolling down into St. George,

Diving back south after restocking at St. George, we tried to take a different route (my idea -- I hate backtracking),

It turned out to be a bad idea. The road petered out to a trail, and while it looked like it'd be fun in different circumstances, it would have taken us hours of slogging.

We scouted a cut-across back to the wide road we'd taken out to St. George, and it turned out to be a nasty power line trail.

It went from bad to worse, but we only had like 3 miles, otherwise we'd have to BACK-backtrack all the way back to St. George. That would have killed me.

So we slogged through, and LDF was a trooper and bit her tongue instead of calling me an idiot, and for that I am grateful.

We got back to the main road, and started making good time again.