User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #6796
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Mobius12 Day 9

3-Step Hideaway to Hite crossing (Lake Powell)

As much as we'd have liked to stay at the 3-Step, it was time to saddle up and point our ponies back westward. Unfortunately, the weather was not exactly cooperating.

We hemmed and hawed and watched the sky and fretted, and in the end just made a dash for it.

Across the flats, we were dodging rain...

Looks good in this direction, but just over our starboard quarter:

A sprinkle here and there,

Good thing we weren't in a slot canyon!

Finally, we turned and headed away from the most immediate mess...

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #6797
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,405
Doc, I have been reading your ride report since day 1, Lauren and I hope to join you guys one of these years, it looks amazing and we are SUPER jealous...
Have a safe and wonderful time!!
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #6798
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Not so fast

Here we're heading west towards Monticello, after which we're going to to have to head south a bit, and up in elevation to cross the Manti-LaSal range. Rut-roh.

We stop in Monticello for a cuppa hot joe, and to see if the weather's gonna do something definitive; hail and brimstone and we'd have a roof over our heads to wait it out, or clear up, and we'd roll. Who pulls up, but these two... small world! :lol

Scott & Julie, our guardian angels, just making sure we're OK, and extending a welcome back if the weather is too nasty.

Well, we're tempted, but so far we've stayed dry, and hadn't hit any mud, so we decided to take our chances. We re-said our goodbyes and see ya' laters, and off we went again, this time up. Thanks again for everything you two... I've been checking out all the work you've been doing on the 3-step Facebook page. Looking good!

Shameless plug: If you're anywhere in the area and need a place to stay, go there -- you can choose luxurious or rustic accommodations. If you're anywhere in the area and need some light bike maintenance, or just want to visit, go there. If you're nowhere near the area, but are interested in exploring the area, go there. If you're riding the TAT, stop by and say "Hi".
Highly recommended!

PS: how's that hot chocolate license coming along?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 03-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #6799
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
Doc, I have been reading your ride report since day 1, Lauren and I hope to join you guys one of these years, it looks amazing and we are SUPER jealous...
Have a safe and wonderful time!!
Thanks James, we miss you guys -- I see you've been doing a lot more MTN biking. I'm not sure we'd be able to keep up if you guys bring your dirt bikes!

You're welcome to join us anytime!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #6800
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we gain elevation

we start climbing into the mist:

Echos of the Lassen volcano.

It's the Blue mountain range, west of Monticello. On the other side, the skies looked brighter.

and the road surface was still relatively dry.

There were nice views, and the weather added to the visual (if not psychological) drama. We both knew that if we hit a patch of slimy slicked up muddy road, we could be stuck until it dried out.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #6801
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

By noon

we were still at elevation, in and out of clouds, with intermittent sprinkles, but still making progress.

We finally started to drop some elevation,

We passed a sign with an arrow pointing that said "Warm and dry, this way"

NOT!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #6802
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Believe it or not,

We did not get rained on! We were right on the edge of the storm,

HOWEVER... the road had been drenched, and we quickly ground to a standstill, with knobs and chains and brakes getting gunned up with slime. We struggled for a mile or so,

and then hit a cross road (same one we rode out of National Bridges on)

discretion being the better part of valor... we bailed out on to pavement.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #6803
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Clear skies

ahead,

This is a look at the area where our planned route would have taken us:

One thing about the weather out here, it's not gonna sneak up on you. (unless you're in a slot canyon.) :loll

Not bad for pavement. Literally, we were calling an audible on our route based on prevailing weather conditions.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #6804
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We'd heard

that the ferry at Hall's crossing had been closed (it broke, not weather-related), and so our only options to cross the Colorado river / Lake Powell, were to either go all the way north to Moab, up and around, or the bridge at Hite.

Hite it would be. The promise of gas and water. A campground on the banks of Lake Powell.

The reality was a bit different.

This USED to be Lake Powell!

If you don't think water issues out west are critical, or if you think the drought is a short-term, temporary thing, check out the photos in the next few posts. It was shocking. Reminded me of this:

Old 03-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #6805
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We found a spot

to pitch our tent, collected some firewood, and decided to go on a hike and see if we could get to the water's edge:

According to GoogleEarth, it's 0.65 miles to the water's edge, you can see the high water line on the rocks:

This is as close as we got... turned back 'cause it was getting marshy, and we couldn't pick our way through.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #6806
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Even though

it was surreal how low the water was, that's actually where it belongs. We had a great view from our perch, and had an enjoyable evening.

we waited for the wind to die down to pitch our tent,

and enjoyed another fantastic sunset. [edit -- oops, the photos below are from the sunrise the next morning]

For a full-sized view, click the image below to open in a new window, and then click that image to zoom to full size, scroll around and enjoy:

Day 9 stats:

DR. Rock screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 11:20 AM
Old 03-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #6807
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 1,037
I haven't gotten any work done in 2 days ... Heheh
GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #6808
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,266
Lake Powell is just one of those places.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #6809
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M12, Day 10

Hite crossing - Capitol Reef National Park - Dixie NF

We got thwarted a couple times today. Had to reroute a bunch. But still managed to have fun. Crazy, right?

These guys were heading north. Welcome to the new fall order.

Multitasking:

As I recall, I'd created the reroute on my Montana, and sent it to LDF's wirelessly. Never done that before. Pretty cool feature, I must admit.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #6810
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Amen..

"but the point is to enjoy the ride, not to beat ourselves up"....Amen to this sentiment. At nearly 65 it took me too long to get on board...Thanks to you both...I enjoyed the ride.
For something pre-sold as an abbreviated RR this was pretty dang awesome...Hope to see yous guys at "3 Step" come May.
Love , peace and taco grease coming your way from a dreary cold Denver.