Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 05:35 AM   #6916
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
After death valley, I thought I would never be cold again. But here we are below freezing. Ran into mud at elevation yesterday in the henry's and had to reroute after a solid day of mobius riding.

Today we'll check in with blm for poison spring road conditions, and if ok, try to cross the Dirty Devil.

See you soon, Emerson.

sent from the field; please excuse brevity & mispellings.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #6917
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,006

Need anything from the big city?

Ride safe, see y"all Wednesday evening.
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #6918
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post

Need anything from the big city?

Ride safe, see y"all Wednesday evening.
Nada. We just arrived @ 3-Step. Life is good!

sent from the field; please excuse brevity & mispellings.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #6919
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,499
3-Step Hideaway

Say hi to Scott and Julie for me.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #6920
Anciano
Bushpilot

Oddometer: 239
I don't think there is anyway to describe the wind we got ourselves into on Mobius 13. We started the day from Stella's Cabin on the west side of Death Valley. We rode a rocky two track east to the Westside Highway. I noticed there was some wind blowing bushes along the road, but there was no trouble. There was a dust cloud ahead. When we turned east we were in a crosswind. Kelly was ahead of me and I think she was at a 45 degree angle at times. Kelly, Tim and I made it to a paved road that runs north into Furnace Creek. I didn't get my kickstand down and a gust blew me and the bike over. While Kelly and Tim were getting the bike off me, Kelly's bike blew over. We didn't know it but LDF had been blown into the ditch. Dr. Rock put her on the back of his bike and pumped her to where we were stopped. Tim then pumped Doc back to LDF's bike and rode it to where we were all stopped.

The first plan was to wait out the wind. We found out that there was a wind advisory until 9:00PM, so we wouldn't be able to wait. Then Doc and Tim were going to pump the girls to Furnace Creek and ride double back and pick up their bikes. The wind was at our backs on the road and it was no problem riding.

We had a nice lunch at Furnace Creek and Doc and LDF continued their ride. Tim, Kelly and I started back to Las Vegas.

It was great riding with the group. I will treasure my Anti-Hassle Tassles.

Wayne
Anciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:23 PM   #6921
Rutsref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Laugh Team zip tie is go for liftoff

The game's afoot! #1 son Aaron, Johnny O'Show, and yours truly Rutsref are staged for an AM launch from SoCal 4/30...!!! Planning to stage in Vegas, and do a counterclockwise route to S rim, Monument Valley, and arrive 3 Step 5/1, we have tix for Supercross Final on Saturday so need to bail out before the official grand opening..(had we not already booked and paid mighta skipped Supercross! Ryan V has it sewn up, and James S prolly out with injury and it'll be basically an exhibition event, oh well)
Can't wait to see y'all

Rutsref screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 11:31 PM
Rutsref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #6922
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,724
Mobius 3 in the books

Me and Dingweeds met the Mobius crew in St. George and rode the rest of the way with them-----poor Dingweeds had to bail early tho---we missed him.

As the 3 of us rolled into 3-step it started snowing on us---the crazy weather continues on.
My new KTM 690 performed flawlessly and got the same gas mileage as Dingweeds WR250R to our amazement. But lacked 5 miles getting me to a gas station one day---the bigger tank I want is not available yet.

We rode yesterday a trail that went on the top 5 favorite trails we've ever ridden.

The Poison Spring trail (Southwest of Green River, Utah)-------then crossed the dirty devil river--the onto the flint trails--up the awesome switch backs onto Hans Flat road and to camp. It was a trail I will never forget.

I came to the dirty devil river first and my heart sank--------it looked deep, dirty and wide----you could not see the bottom.
I knew we'd have to go back------but......I was wrong.
Doc got almost naked and walked it. It was mostly 8"deep. I had to laugh at myself.
There was WaaaaaHoooooo's all around after we all got across.

The climb up the swithcbacks was sometimes 25%,, just dirt and rocks and very rough---about a 2 mile climb.

After a much needed bath and more wabbit chile back at 3-step-----------------I had to stop and realize what a lucky guy I am----to have such good friends---and to have done some really great riding with them.
So today---bike maintenance--maybe split some firewood-----maybe get a pesky Wabbit or two for some more Wabbit chile.
Then tonite we'll relax by the wood stove and I'll get my geetar out and pick out a few tunes.

Life and retirement is so gooooood !!!!!!!

3-Step open house this Saturday---Emmerson Biguns, and Ken Webb rolling in today..

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 09:27 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #6923
muskeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Thumb In!

Looks like the weather and work may finally be cooperating... Fingers crossed, hope to see you all at 3 Step Saturday, or even Friday night!

Sounds like a great time!
muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #6924
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,064
Hey Guys.

My KTM 950 Adventure has fresh oil, a fixed fuel sensor and some "new" tires I stole from a dumpster for the trip. GPS is programmed.
I'll start packing my stuff and leave L.A. Friday morning.
I hope to get to Cedar City area on Friday night and Three Step by early afternoon Saturday.
Save some wabbit chili for me!

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #6925
digitaldan01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures View Post
Me and Dingweeds met the Mobius crew in St. George and rode the rest of the way with them-----poor Dingweeds had to bail early tho---we missed him.

As the 3 of us rolled into 3-step it started snowing on us---the crazy weather continues on.
My new KTM 690 performed flawlessly and got the same gas mileage as Dingweeds WR250R to our amazement. But lacked 5 miles getting me to a gas station one day---the bigger tank I want is not available yet.

We rode yesterday a trail that went on the top 5 favorite trails we've ever ridden.

The Poison Spring trail (Southwest of Green River, Utah)-------then crossed the dirty devil river--the onto the flint trails--up the awesome switch backs onto Hans Flat road and to camp. It was a trail I will never forget.

I came to the dirty devil river first and my heart sank--------it looked deep, dirty and wide----you could not see the bottom.
I knew we'd have to go back------but......I was wrong.
Doc got almost naked and walked it. It was mostly 8"deep. I had to laugh at myself.
There was WaaaaaHoooooo's all around after we all got across.

The climb up the swithcbacks was sometimes 25%,, just dirt and rocks and very rough---about a 2 mile climb.

After a much needed bath and more wabbit chile back at 3-step-----------------I had to stop and realize what a lucky guy I am----to have such good friends---and to have done some really great riding with them.
So today---bike maintenance--maybe split some firewood-----maybe get a pesky Wabbit or two for some more Wabbit chile.
Then tonite we'll relax by the wood stove and I'll get my geetar out and pick out a few tunes.

Life and retirement is so gooooood !!!!!!!

3-Step open house this Saturday---Emmerson Biguns, and Ken Webb rolling in today..

BigDog
Looking forward to the RR

J. R. R. Tolkien
digitaldan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #6926
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Well, it took quite awhile, but I'm all caught up! Had fun following all your travels, I'm lucky if I can sneak away for a weekend trip! Looking forward to reading more...
Old 05-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #6927
muskeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Eek Well, started up the bike this morning...

just to check the oil before heading out.

and my cultch cable sheathing melted
Awesome.

Better in the garage than in Nowhere Utalarado.
muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #6928
JHpowderhound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Glad to here you all made it to 3 step. I was wandering around Utah close to the places you all were I week earlier but I stayed on the roads. The wind and weather made it exciting for me as well. I wish my timing was better and I'd been able to meet up with you and buy you a beer.

Looking forward to the trip report.

Eric
JHpowderhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #6929
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
M-13

A Great time riding with all the Mobius crew
Awesome route as always!!!!
Great ride, Great friends, Great times!!!!!!
Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #6930
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,549
Man, I'm so looking forward to the pictures!
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote