User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #61
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The second most technical section

of the TAT-east. I don't know if we took a wrong turn, or what, but there was a looping long way, and a short squiggly way, and the Devil Box sent us up the steep:

(Usual disclaimer re: not able to photograph the really hard parts 'cause I was too busy riding it, and the loose gravel was looser, the big rocks were bigger and the steep slope was steeper than it looks. So there )

LDF fired up the trench-digger, and spewed a rooster of rubble. Cleared the whole section cleanly, and at the top shrugged it off like no big deal. She rocks.

And yes, I'm trying to get out of the dog house.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #62
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Scenes from riding in the ozarks

I'll let the photos speak for themselves. It was one of the best day's riding. Ever. Until the next day.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #63
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #64
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Old 06-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #65
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oark

We eventually arrive in Oark, running on fumes mechanically and physically.

A nice, big, juicy burger... and the world will be perfect.

We enquired about a place to stay, and were directed up the road to Byrd's adventure camping.

We set up camp, and went further up the road to get some beer and breakfast fixin's... we had to go a ways to cross the county line... we were in a dry one. We passed the state campground which might have provided a little softer accommodations. Byrd's is a rock garden and apparently sponsers 4WD rock climbing competitions.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #66
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Byrd's adventure campground

By this time we had gotten camp set-up and daily chores to a well-oiled routine.

Store the day's tracks.

Plug ipods and cell phone chargers into accessory socket.

Tune in NOAA weather radio and check the forecast for the next 24h.

Open the air mattresses valves.

Check both bikes for loose nuts and bolts. Tighten as necessary.

Check GPS for the next day's route, scope out potential food / gas / shelter locations / destinations.

Photograph & reset the day's trip data stats.

G'night.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #67
Happnin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
When the wind picks up in the flatlands...
We call it the Grand Prarie. Interesting area, huh?

It used to be covered by tallgrass and Indians. There's still a bit left.

Now it's just soybeans, cotton, and rice.

Lotsa duckhunting too.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #68
Happnin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Are you guys in Arkansas right now?
Old 06-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #69
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happnin
Are you guys in Arkansas right now?
Back in NYC!

The tallgrass praries are awesome.

Timothy Egan recently posted a nicely written Op-Ed in the NYTimes about them here.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #70
Mr. Visible
super dork

Oddometer: 9
Great ride report. I can't wait to do the TAT on my DRZ. This summer I'm doing the Continental Divide Trail, if my broken leg will heal in time. Can't wait to read about your next section. Thanks for the sweet cheeks info. Which size did you end up buying?

Keepin' it real in Hi-Viz
Old 06-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #71
woodworkernyc
dirty

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

G'night.
Finally an ADV salute!
"The Thinker" - Adv version.
Geeze, everyone gets more miles out of their MT-21's - 1400 is my personal best....
woodworkernyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #72
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Visible
Thanks for the sweet cheeks info. Which size did you end up buying?
I just told Ray that I had a stock DRZ seat, and he sent the size that fit.

Heal fast, and good luck on your trip.
d
Old 06-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #73
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We awoke to a nice crisp morning, and after a short stretch of pavement with the fog burning off,

It was right back into the wild woods:

Old 06-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #74
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day's route, and more traffic:

Oh yeah... to keep you oriented:

Morning rush-hour traffic:

It was a forest ranger. We waved. He waved back.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #75
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Nice views

I remember the good old days when I could shoot photos AND keep up with her... no more.