User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #751
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Ok... back up through Zion

If you've done this ride, skip ahead, because your memories are likely to be way better than these photos. If not, scroll through and enjoy.

to the right are the switchbacks we're headed back up. I'll try to keep moving while shooting. But don't hold your breath.

hang on,

over the shoulder:

not bad...
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #752
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Caught behind a camper

the bad news is this will slow us down.

the good news is; this will slow us down.

scraping pegs??? not quite.

Ok, hang on with both hands here for a second:

now wick it up again.

Don't let LDF get too far ahead:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #753
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Waiting for the tunnel

See, THESE are LOOMING cliffs:

Hey, where else can you enjoy views of BOTH Zion AND Yosemite at the same time???

Old 10-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #754
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Through the tunnel

The ranger directing traffic waves at us to scoot up to the front.

Now, here's what I'm gonna do. In the tunnel, there are 2 or 3 openings that you pass. They're there to let light in, but they have magnificent views. (if you scroll back 6 pictures, you can see one of them). I'm gonna try to take photos through the openings when I pass. hang on.

Bingo. A direct hit! (I am pretty easily amused, aren't I?)

OK, next one coming up...

It's a long tunnel.

Last one:

Awesome! And hey, 2 outta' 3 ain't bad.

OK, let's get out of here.

Almost there.

That was fun, eh?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #755
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Takes a few seconds

for your eyes to adjust to the light, don't it? They tell you to remove your sunglasses when passing through the tunnel, but we know better, don't we?

Hmm. I remember some cool stuff up ahead.

Oh no.... Alien spacecraft abduction beam... Francine, swerve!!!

Whew, that was close.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #756
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mid-day sun

brings out the tar snakes.

"you OK?" "Yeah. You?" "Fine. Wanna stop here and take pictures?" "Nah. You?" "No, let's keep moving." "Cool"

Enjoy the scenery,

stay on the road.

repeat as necessary.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #757
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This looks totally different

from how I remember it going this direction. It's like a two-for-one sale on scenery!

I don't think it's much further, though.

Cool swirly cliffs over there,

Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #758
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,069
Thumb

DR. Rock,

I managed only one good photo out of the Zion tunnel windows last weekend. RR Forthcoming...

Okay, not so good...

I really enjoyed your reporting of the White Rim Trail and San Rafael Reef. Your "kid in a candy store" excitement really showed in your writing and photography.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #759
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

"You wanna take pictures here?"

"No! I've been taking them all along!" See. Smile :

"OK, see ya."

Oh, hey. car. HEY, CAR!

dumbass.

(me, not the car).
Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #760
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Are we there yet?

almost. Alien abduction beam again!

I think the park ends near here... Oh, there it is:

Well, there it is. I don't normally take pillions. Don't even have passenger pegs, sorry about that. You can hop off here. Aren't you glad you're not in my helmet full-time?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #761
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Truth is,

things stayed weird for awhile. I was itching to get back on some dirt. It felt like we were caught in some tourist tractor-beam. Or alien. Or alien tourists. That's it! Alien tourists were trying to abduct us and carry us back to their planet on their giant space-RV. This was an all-out war of the worlds. Us against them. Head for the hills:

We speed off:

They take aim, and cut loose their abduction beam. Swerve!

Now you know where all the buffalo went!

poor little guy, didn't know what hit him.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #762
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

They try to confuse us

and beam up the road signs, hoping we'll get lost:

But we have GPS. Maybe they're messing with the satellites though. Hmmmm.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #763
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

They kick it up a notch

does that look like a mushroom cloud to you?

there go a few GPS satellites. Hope we don't get lost.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #764
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I can see where they're hiding

Duh! just follow the Alien-tourist abduction tractor-beam right back up to those clouds. That's where the giant space RV is parked.

Which is also the direction we're headed. I'll have to keep my eye on those clouds.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #765
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We've put the slip

on them for the time being.

and we pull in to Kanob.

As appealing as a hotel sounds...

we'll be camping tonight.

"Should we stop here and get groceries?" "Nah. Let's go over the boarder to Fredonia. It's in Arizona. They sell real beer there, and probably other good stuff that we want."

LDF: ""