User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #766
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Look, Arizona!

And huge storm clouds over the grand canyon.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #767
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 107
Aliens eh!!!!

Glad to see Francine avoided them. Obviously you two were, and are having TOOOO much fun Great Pics and well narrated!!!

One thing, I guess you didn't know, but are coming to realize.......Gasoline and RTV Silicone are highly incompatible. Gasoline will attack any RTV that will, inevitably be squeezed inside the float bowl(in your case) softening, and swelling it!!! Vibration will eventually cause the excess to drop into the bottom of the float bowl plugging the main jet.

It's better to use a thin film of grease on a hard float bowl O-ring, or a little gasket shelac, or gasket elliminator to help make an old o-ring reseal!!!

Cheers Brian
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #768
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

"Flagstaff 199"

There's a certain ennui that sets in the moment you see a road sign calling out the mileage to your eventual destination. Even when you're planning on squeezing almost 500 miles and 3 days riding out of that 199 miles.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #769
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
does that look like a mushroom cloud to you?

No. It looks like ET panhandling.

;)
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #770
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hey Brian! Thanks for tagging along. I knew it was a sub-optimal fix at the time. Frankly I was shocked it held up for 12 days. I repeated the fix 'cause I didn't have any of those other things (well, grease, but I was more afraid of developing a leak and losing gas in the boonies than using too much and plugging a jet which I could fix). At this point, I only needed to keep the bike running another 3 days. I used much less silicone on the second fix, and... drumroll... we made it to Flagstaff without further incident.

BTW, I just got a FedEx package today from the ThumperTalk store that has the new gasket(s), o-rings, and other carburetor bits and parts.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #771
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroot
No. It looks like ET panhandling.

;)
That is awesome.

And PS: ET is an Alien, so... we're both right.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #772
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Fry Sauce

Sounded Interesting...so I googled it!!!! Seems your right about the regional part; especially Utah!!!! Check it out, if you haven't yet!!

1 part ketchup to 2 parts Mayo....and many variations, including substituting barbaque sauce(of your choice)for ketchup!!!!!

Brian
Old 10-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #773
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Eh, Maria!

The Puerto Rican version sounds especially yummy!

"In Puerto Rico, the sauce is commonly known "mayoketchup" and is prepared with ketchup, mayonnaise, garlic and a hint of lemon."
Old 10-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #774
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We stop in Fredonia

here, for gas and groceries:

It's a mini-mart, and they don't have much. "Is there a grocery store in Fredonia?"

"No, you'll have to drive up to Kabab just over the border in Utah."

Then I spy some locally made tamales in the fridge. Oh yeah!

We pick up some ramen noodles, some beef jerky, and we're set for dinner.

Those clouds are starting to look menacing.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #775
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Yes!!!!

MMMM!!!! Sounds GOOD!!!

Back to the RR??? Please?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #776
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,301
I knew the RTV gasket sealer would getcha

I recall mentioning that somewhere along about 15 pages ago. I am glad it didnt screw you up more then it did. Yea, 2 hours down time is a drag, but at least you were not out in the middle of nowhere.
The bummer is next spring when you dig the bikes outta storage, you will be rebuilding a carb before you go anywhere.

The pictures you have posted are just amazing. I guess I dont need to go now !!

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #777
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On to the North Rim:

There's one paved road, US 89-Alt to Hwy 67, which everyone takes,

It's the road we're on here:

or, you can cut to the right, across this vast expanse of BLM land and into Kaibab N.F. There are GPS roads marked all through it, and I had cross-checked all of them with GoogleEarth satellite images to make sure I could see the outline or trace of an actual path. It took some research to plot a route, but I thought it would work.

This was going to take us into some pretty remote area, and we'd eventually hook up with Hwy 67 near the entrance to to the Grand Canyon National Park, where I hoped we'd grab a campsite at the North Rim Campground, ditch some gear, and head out to Point Sublime.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #778
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,700
Oh man.... I've wanted to explore that country.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #779
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
The bummer is next spring when you dig the bikes outta storage, you will be rebuilding a carb before you go anywhere.
It won't be so bad. And it needed to be done, RTV or not. The jetting & needle settings needed tuning on both bikes. When I drained the gas, I dropped both float bowls, and went through every o-ring, gasket, jet, spring and seal I could get to. I left them mostly disassembled. I inventoried what I had, what I needed, ordered JD jet kits, parts, etc, and when I get back, it'll only take a little while to swap stuff in and get them running again.

And running like little rockets, at that.

But I'm skipping ahead.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #780
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Oh man.... I've wanted to explore that country.
I'm telling you, Duke... it was cool. One of my favorite parts of the trip. And no small part of why, is that it was MINE. I routed it, I scoped it out, and it was remote, and wild, and just awesomely cool.

Francine hated it.