Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #841
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
So we're plodding along. It's like 150 degrees out, but there's no wind. And an SUV is coming towards us. I'm in front and I stop.

That's a pretty van-like suv

please continue.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?” Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #842
SnailOnARampage
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Must be taking a nap ;)

I'll bet he was having a wonderful ciesta, when you guys arrived and started prodding him ;) Post the next part already; I'm dying here!

This RR is absolutely "sublime"!
Old 10-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #843
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
We pull up.

It's a little bit of a struggle to get off the bike without dropping it in the soft sand, but as I find a place to rest the kickstand that doesn't sink it a foot into the ground, I see his arm move.

OK, he isn't dead. So I go into doctor mode. "Hello, hey buddy, you OK?" "Rraurrrghh" "Oh, you speak Pirate. OK, I see."

I feel a pulse. Strong. Breathing OK. Phew. That smells strong. I see a couple of empty 40 oz'ers strewn about. Could be his, or could have been here before he was. I sit him up. He seems drunk, but coherent. "What's your name?" He says something, but I can't really hear with the earplugs.
"Can you tell me what year it is?"
"2008." He starts to laugh.
"How did you get out here?"
"I was working."
"Have you been drinking?"
He looks at me sheepishly, "yes."
I open his backpack. Some clean clothes, socks, and a slice of pizza neatly tucked in a plastic bag.
"Are you hungry?"
"No."
"Do you have anything to drink? It's hot out here."
He lays back down.

I spend a little more time interacting and observing him. I confer with LDF. "What should we do?"
"Well, that lady is going to call the sheriff."
"I can't give him a ride out of here on the bike. Neither of us has passenger pegs, and I don't think he could balance even if we did. We could stay with him..."
"...and what? How's that helping?"
"Good point."

"Do you think it's anything serious wrong with him?"
"No, not now, probably just drunk, but he's not going to last long out here in the sun and heat without anything to drink. Let's leave him some water."

So we took one of our 2 liter bottles from the Sweetcheeks that was full of water, tried to get him to drink some of it, which he did, left it with him, and rode on with the intention of letting someone know as soon as we could.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #844
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

15-20 minutes later

I see another SUV (pickup truck, minivan, whatever ) and I wave it down. It's a guy in his 50's. Dressed like a rancher. I tell him about the not-yet-dead guy. I describe his location, what he's wearing, what's in his backpack. I tell him about the lady in the other SUV/minivan. I tell him about the slice of pizza. That we left him water. The guy in the pick-up is extremely nonchalant. Tells us that people live off that road, that he probably belongs to one of them. Speculates that someone will probably be along to fetch him before long.

He starts asking me about our trip, did we ride these bikes all the way from New York, how do we like Arizona? etc.

"So, I think the guy needs some help."
"Why do you say that?"
"Well, I don't think anyone lasts very long out there in the heat and the sun."
He pauses for emphasis. "We do."
I am silent. He stares at me. I stare at him. He looks ahead up the road through his windshield.
"How far up ahead is he?"
"About 2 miles. On the left."

He pulls away.

I felt like I was in a Hal Hartley film. I don't know how else to describe it.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #845
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I am dumbfounded

LDF is as well.

I have a flash of paranoia: I zoom in to try to get a photo of the pick-up's license plate #. I know that makes no sense at all. Things were just getting a little weird out there in the desert.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #846
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The fox

"So, I think the guy needs some help."
"Why do you say that?"

"Well, I don't think anyone lasts very long out there in the heat and the sun."
He pauses for emphasis. "We do."

I am silent. He stares at me. I stare at him.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #847
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

For the last few miles

we're rewarded

with some actual gravel.

It's interesting how back in Page, we were doing our best to avoid pavement and all it's attendant trappings of civilization.

and now, a mere 45 miles and 2 hours later,

we want nothing more than tarmac and sanity.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #848
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 814
Dead guy. Now that makes for a good story.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #849
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Yeah, this is one helluva ride report.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #850
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,976
High weirdness in the high desert...

Way to go Dr. Rock...

Awesome ride report....
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #851
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
"Oh nothing. Dead guy up ahead."

"WHAT!?!"

"Yeah, but she wasn't sure. You wanna lead?"

"NO!!! How far?"

"Coupla miles."
Best ride report ever. Period.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #852
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface
Best ride report ever. Period.

John
Its just to dam funny !!
The best ride report I have ever read !!

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:02 AM   #853
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hey guys

Thanks for the nice feedback. We're in the home stretch now. One more episode of weirdness, some quality family time, and finally a mega-dose of high anxiety stress before chapter 2 comes to a close, and the Mobius trip goes into hibernation until spring.

The Navajo reservation is at a higher altitude than Hwy 89, and the road down passes through something called "The Gap". I don't know if this is how the clothing store got it's name. Kinda strange if it is.

So we dropped down onto Hwy 89 for about 50miles of windy slab jockying with fast cars and trucks.

Within two minutes, my right butt cheek is feeling the absence of the 2L water bottle that was removed for the benefit of the not-dead-yet guy.

I know what you're thinking... suck it up, big guy. It's just a little monkey butt. After all you've suffered, this should be cake.

And I agree, so I decide to tough it out.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:08 AM   #854
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We drive by

some pretty cool landscape

I don't know if there's anything out there to ride.

I mean, you could try, but I couldn't find anything that was marked on GPS that I could actually see as a track on GoogleEarth.

It looks like it could be pretty cool though if it was possible. It's all Navajo Indian Reservation land, so I doubt it.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:19 AM   #855
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We cross the

Little Colorado River:

And my butt has had enough. I take the lead, and motion to LDF that I'll be stopping. A short ways later, I see a cluster of buildings... a gas station, super market, restaurant, Navajo Crafts...

I figure I'll be able to find 2L of something there, and maybe some groceries for dinner too and I pull in, LDF follows. An SUV pulls in and parks.

AS we're taking our helmets off, a figure walks over...