User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
ntm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Tool Cart --> get organized

I totally stole this idea from someone in ADVRider, but I cannot locate the original post. In any case, thanks!

I wanted to have easy access to my most frequently used tools and also a convenient place to store them. A big rolling toolbox is expensive and never really appealed to me. Whats pictured below is a $30 (on sale) Harbor Freight tool cart that I have customized a bit.

I bought a piece of aluminum angle stock, cut it in two, clamped the pieces together and then drilled appropriately sized holes for the shafts of my screw drivers and T-handle hex wrenches. I bolted the aluminum pieces one on top of the other along one of the long sides of the cart. Below these I added a smaller aluminum angle bracket with hooks to hang the ratcheting combination wrenches regular and shorty lengths.

I added a power strip, extension cord and a couple of hooks to store the extension cord on, all at the bottom of the cart.

I bolted socket holders the carts corner posts and populated these with my most commonly used sockets, hex bits, etc.

I bent a coat hanger to hold a roll of towels and added it to one end of the cart.

Im toying with the idea of adding a magnetic tool strip along the other long edge to hold pliers. I have it clamped in place at the moment to see how it works..

The cart has two shelves. The top one holds smaller tools that dont otherwise have a home, chemicals, notepad and manuals and just general odds and ends.. The smaller stuff I keep in cans for organizational purposes one for small pliers, one for small tubes of chemicals, etc.

The bottom shelf holds larger tools such as torque wrenches, a box of nitrile gloves, a set of oversized sockets, breaker bar, long socket extensions, etc. It also has a lamp with a magnetic base that I can stick to the cart or on the bike. Magnetic parts bowls are stuck here and there on the cart.

The cart has a handle at one end that I use to hang a Maglite and my 3/8-inch socket T-handle.

I keep the cart stashed in a corner of the garage, covered by an old bed sheet. Its a cinch to roll it to the bike, unwrap the extension cord and plug it in. Then I have immediate access to common tools, chemicals, paper towels, gloves, etc and plugs for lights, power tools, etc.

Not only can I readily lay hands on a desired tool, the tools all have a home that I can easily return them to when Im done with them. It really does work well for me and the total investment (minus tools, obviously) was around $60 for the cart, aluminum stock, power strip, extension cord, lamp and various fasteners.

Nick
ntm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,402
Thumb Love it....

Love it, love it, love it, man. I've got a cart with drawers but I am a very visual guy... I like to see everything out in the open, but still remain somewhat organized. You just made my day. Did I tell ya I love it? Off to HF this weekend.
--Doug
Old 09-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
Ready2Rip
The Bird is the Word

Oddometer: 22
That is a fantastic idea. I need one!
Ready2Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:03 AM   #4
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,301
You don't have little kids do you?
GreaseMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:13 AM   #5
gboezio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Wow, that would solve my "where the fuck is my..." syndrom, from my inability to replace a tool in the toolbox after use.
I'm very creative to lay tool is strange places, I can go around the place like a dog chasing tail, cursing my bad habits only to find my tool stashed in my rear pocket
Having it close and easy to see.

gboezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:48 AM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 53,014
Nice Job! That gives me a few ideas!

Of course by the time I get it done I will have lost this post and not know who to give credit to!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:58 AM   #7
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,903
Very Very Nice!!!!!!

Mind if I steal some ideas?
Jamming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,404
Hey, a lot of very cool tool organization ideas going there. Awesome! I'll pay forward any thanks for ideas I "borrow" from you...been wanting to do something to organize my T-handle hex & torx drivers a bit better...and hammers...and prybars...and spray cans...

My tool cart is on the right - just a scrap cart from work that I put an intermediate 4 drawer box on to keep my "nice" tools used most frequently. 1" plywood worktop, but your cart will help in making some nice additons...Thanks!

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #9
braindead0
Head Fisherman

Oddometer: 585
That is excellent! I've got 2 rollaways already which are pretty much full.. this sounds like just the thing!
DoD #2223
braindead0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
You don't have little kids do you?

My first thought when I saw this.

That, and the realization that the tool I needed would always be on the other side of the cart. Isn't there a law of nature that applies here?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #11
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
I thought about doing something like this, before I bought my roll around box. I got a left over anniversary Craftsman, top middle, and bottom, with roller bearing drawers for less than 400 total, so I couldn't pass it up. I used a trick the military, and put liners with, tool, cut outs in each drawer. The off the shelf stuff was about 80 bucks a drawer, so I had to find another soulution. I bought the regular brown/ black drawer liners, then found some 3/4 thick foam exercise mats at Walmart for about 3 bucks each. I then marked these and cut out for each tool. Works pretty well considering a total investment of less than 3 bucks. I will try and post some pictures later.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
Ge-Mini-gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrjr
I thought about doing something like this, before I bought my roll around box. I got a left over anniversary Craftsman, top middle, and bottom, with roller bearing drawers for less than 400 total, so I couldn't pass it up. I used a trick the military, and put liners with, tool, cut outs in each drawer. The off the shelf stuff was about 80 bucks a drawer, so I had to find another soulution. I bought the regular brown/ black drawer liners, then found some 3/4 thick foam exercise mats at Walmart for about 3 bucks each. I then marked these and cut out for each tool. Works pretty well considering a total investment of less than 3 bucks. I will try and post some pictures later.

Yes we need the pictures.

Switching to DirectTV - use this 52824519
Ge-Mini-gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 53,014
Like this:

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
Ge-Mini-gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Like this:

Jim
Yes where'd you get it?

Switching to DirectTV - use this 52824519
Ge-Mini-gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Here are my pictures
Those setups will end up running you as much as a tool box. I just couldn't justify that expense. Here are some pictures of my home made solution. I did the hole box, for less than teh price of doig one drawer using the professional kits. Here ar some pictures showing my setup, and a gratutious picture of the bikes.

You can easily see missing tools

Bikes and boat

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote