Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #31
armatron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I swear you guys don't have enough stress in your life or something... jebus I wish the only thing I had to worry about is what kinda lube to use!!

Great study.. I liked it, good read. I also wonder what the effects would be after a week, or a month... or longer.
armatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #32
Mad*Sparrow
NoMadic Wanderer

Oddometer: 180
I've been to Walmart and checked the hobby and lighting sections for lamp oil, and the camping and hardware sections for kerosene. I also went to Ace and other hardware stores. One salesperson at a hardware store pointed out the paint thinner and said that it was the same as kerosene.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mad*Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #33
crooked roads
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Nice..

I'm surprised brake fluid didn't destroy the o-rings..
If it did all your brake system parts and hoses would be dead .
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #34
bonox
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked roads
If it did all your brake system parts and hoses would be dead .
not quite right - define your brake fluid - the dot5 silicon stuff does destroy classic oring seals. Depends on what the chain manufacturer uses for the rings, same as the seal type in a brake system determines the fluid type - look at the vitimol stuff used for the bmw 1200 clutches for example.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #35
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,449
As much as I'm enjoying seeing the results of this test I can't help but think that it's a bit circumstantial because of the duration of exposure to the fluids. On long trips I use petrol because that's all I have. But it's only on there for a minute to get the gunk off and I lube it with thick truck gear box oil (the thickest I can find). Usually at night when making camp to let it soak in all night. I check for cracks in the seals as well.

On the next trip I'll be taking terpentine to clean the air filter. Might use that depending on how easy I can find it. I like the idea of WD40 because that's everywhere, but like someone mentioned. It's a penetrant.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #36
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,337
I have this can of spray (Maxima Crystal Clear Chain Lube) It has mostly mineral spirits in it. I spray it every couple weeks when I'm done riding while my chain is still warm. If it rains alot, a little more. Yep every couple weeks and thats it. If I lubed my chain every 200 miles I would go nuts worrying about it. I got 6k on it now and it looks like new.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #37
WzlTech
The fool on the hill

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
As much as I'm enjoying seeing the results of this test I can't help but think that it's a bit circumstantial because of the duration of exposure to the fluids.
I had similar thoughts. The volatility of things like gasoline and carb cleaner, particularly carb cleaner, means that if they were merely sprayed on (as might be the case when chain cleaning) they would evaporate rather quickly. Given the correspondingly short duration of exposure they would likely exhibit much less impact on the o-rings, versus soaking in the fluids overnight.

That said, I still want to applaud your undertaking a rational scientific method, instead of the typical, "well, I've always done it this way with no problems".

I agree with one other poster also, I thought the main point of concern with WD-40 had less to do with its direct impact on the o-rings and more to do with its getting past the o-rings. How that is possible, beats me? Just something I read on a web forum once. (edit: FWIW, I found where I read about WD-40 being a problem, towards the bottom of page: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/ it may not be relevant, but might be of interest)

Keep up the good fight.

WzlTech screwed with this post 06-04-2008 at 08:16 PM
WzlTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #38
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,824
As someone who rides a bike with one of those "shaft drives", I'm missing something here..... how/where are the 'o' rings used on chain links? From your first photos, it appears you have two parts to a link and then a clip. Where exactly does the 'o' ring go? This is new to me.
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #39
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu
Where exactly does the 'o' ring go? This is new to me.
Two go one one side of the link and two on the other. They are sandwiched in between the link itself and the "plate" on the outside face.

'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #40
MungoP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Where does the grease go?

and presumably the grease permanently resides between the pin (or axle) and the roller which covers the pin and contacts the sprocket, yes?

So if you've killed a chain and want to check whether there is any grease still on a link, you could cut the two O-rings off half a link and wiggle the roller from one side to the other and ....

Anyone got a dead chain ?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #41
WzlTech
The fool on the hill

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by MungoP
and presumably the grease permanently resides between the pin (or axle) and the roller which covers the pin and contacts the sprocket, yes?

So if you've killed a chain and want to check whether there is any grease still on a link, you could cut the two O-rings off half a link and wiggle the roller from one side to the other and ....

Anyone got a dead chain ?
I dissected a chain once and did a post on it, if you want to see what happens when o-rings go missing: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...92#post7124392

The grease actually doesn't have anything to do with the rollers that contact the sprocket. There is an "outer pin" that the roller rides on and the grease is between that and the "inner" pin...or "axle" as you called it. Hope that makes sense. The link post might make it more clear, has pictures.

Sorry for the hijack, just trying to help out the curious.

WzlTech screwed with this post 06-04-2008 at 10:32 PM
WzlTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #42
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,603
Very nice report. Some observations:

Multiple data points would be useful. Multiple O-rings for each chemical.

More than 24-hours would be more like real life.

Is O-ring swelling (or shrinking) the problem? It would be interesting to spray or soak an assembled chain and examine the effect (if any) it has on the internal chain lube.

I've been using "Lamp Oil" as it's easier for me to obtain that kerosene. From what I know, lamp oil is kerosene but I sometimes wonder if it has some additives which affect its usefulness as a chain cleaner.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #43
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
It is my experience that WD-40 is a terrible chain lube. I get 25k miles using real lube and/or 120wt gear oil from an oiler.

I lost a perfectly good chain in 12k miles. No ammount of WD-40 was helpful. The chain dried rapidly and a red oxide/dust appeared rapidly. O-rings got hard and cracked off. I suspect that the chain got hot enough to cook the o-rings. It was a terrible experience and I will never repeat the test/experiment unless sprockets and chains and WD-40 is supplied to me for free.

WD-40 might (and that is a mighty big MIGHT) be ok as a chain cleaner. But I wouldnt recommend it.

If I was going to wash/clean a chain, I would run garden hose water over it to get mud and water soluable stuff off first. Then, brush it gently with kerosene to dissolve caked greases trying not to force any crud into the chain.

Sure. WD-40 may not hurt o-rings. That doesnt mean that its a good idea for the chain. I couldnt make WD-40 work on my chain. YMMV
Old 06-05-2008, 03:28 AM   #44
wazman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
All this quasi-empirical testing is OK but I will not accept any of these findings until they are tested on Myth Busters by blowing something up or dropping it from a great height.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:12 AM   #45
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,449
Here goes my idea of using terpentine. Now I need to carry bloody kero around on my trip.

The bottom one has been in terps for day. It felt a lot softer as well.

The picky doesn't show it too well, but trust me, it's bigger. And that's for you girls out there too.......
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote