User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #1
mikektm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Question '03 Adventure Question?

I took the tank off my 640 Adventure and there are 2 or 3 wired connectors that don't go to anything. Does anybody know what they are for? Also, I get about 250 miles before I hit reserve with 157.5 main jets, stock gearing, does that sound right, I always here 300 mile range are you counting the reserve also? Any recomendations on gearing and suspension settings. I tried a 15 tooth front but it seemed too short on the road, great for off road. The suspension is great but it seams the rear kicks up over small jumps unless i'm hard on the gas. Still new to the whole dirt thing but enjoying it more every dirty mile.
mikektm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:07 PM   #2
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Re: '03 Adventure Question?

Quote:
Said mikektm:
I took the tank off my 640 Adventure and there are 2 or 3 wired connectors that don't go to anything. Does anybody know what they are for? Also, I get about 250 miles before I hit reserve with 157.5 main jets, stock gearing, does that sound right, I always here 300 mile range are you counting the reserve also? Any recomendations on gearing and suspension settings. I tried a 15 tooth front but it seemed too short on the road, great for off road. The suspension is great but it seams the rear kicks up over small jumps unless i'm hard on the gas. Still new to the whole dirt thing but enjoying it more every dirty mile.
Until someone takes their tank off to look, which as you know, no one is going to do for fun, don't count on much first hand feedback for the wire info. The last time I did a valve adjustment, I don't recall seeing any wires that I couldn't trace. Take a look at the schematic in the back of the owner’s manual, they may be for accessories or unused emissions for another country.

I get about 40 to 50 MPG average for freeway, off road, secondaries combined, and that’s with a 157.5 or a 160 MJ (winter jet). Your fuel mileage will drop substantially in the dirt.
What exhaust you running? Air box cover mod?
My gearing is stock and although I've considered lower gearing for more snap, I haven't run into anything the stock gearing can't handle.

It’s a crapshoot on the suspension as Adventures are under sprung to begin with.
I've been running stock or slightly firmer than stock settings on compression and real light on the rebound; try going lighter on the rebound as the shock may not be extending quickly enough and "packing up" in the latter part of its pre-compressed travel.

Ciao,
Creeper

Deal's Gap!!! Lucky Bastard!

creeper screwed with this post 02-12-2004 at 11:22 PM
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:51 PM   #3
boyscout
sittin' down

Oddometer: 1,322
I can get a little over 300 including reserve.

Are you sure the wires aren't for the fuel level sensor?

-BS

boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:56 AM   #4
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,362
I have a 2000 Adv and yes, there's a couple connectors up under the backbone of the tank that don't go to anything. And more in the headlight harness area. I suspect they have a single harness for a whole bunch of LC4 bikes for different markets.

If everything is working correctly, I wouldn't worry about it.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:13 AM   #5
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Bunch of connectors hooked up to nothting but air on my bike as well.

Best so far, 330 to low fuel low light, and another 20 on reserve, not sure how much further I could have made it. I'd expect approx. 10% less on oxygenated fuels. (Running 165 main, with snorkle in, side airbox screen and SXC Supermoto can, jetted with EGA.)
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:45 PM   #6
mikektm OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Said boyscout:
I can get a little over 300 including reserve.

Are you sure the wires aren't for the fuel level sensor?

-BS

Fuel sensor is hooked up. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:57 PM   #7
mikektm OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies. I was curious about the wires, in case there were accessories that would plug in that I didn't know about.

The carb has been modded by drilling the slide, the main jet, and the air screw adjusted. The exhaust has had the last plate befor the disks opened up. Every thing else is stock. It carberates very crisp, no popping on decel.

I do commute on the I-10 every day at 80-90 miles an hour, that might explain the high fuel usage.

Thanks again.

Mike.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:33 PM   #8
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Said mikektm:
I do commute on the I-10 every day at 80-90 miles an hour, that might explain the high fuel usage.

Thanks again.

Mike.
That should do it. I've noticed that when I cruise in that speed range for extended distances, my milage drops into the low 40s.
Extended variable speed high RPM running has the same effect.

What is your take on my suspension adjustment suggestions?

Creeper
Old 02-16-2004, 06:58 PM   #9
mikektm OP
Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
That should do it. I've noticed that when I cruise in that speed range for extended distances, my milage drops into the low 40s.
Extended variable speed high RPM running has the same effect.

What is your take on my suspension adjustment suggestions?

Creeper
I havent tried anything yet. It doesn't seem to be packing down, because it happens on a smooth road with a sharp rise. But like i said I'm still calibrating myself to dirt bikes. Could still be more rider than bike. Rode this weekend, and I was feeling more confident, so I was more agressive on the throttle and the bike seemed to work much better.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:15 PM   #10
creeper
Still alive...

Well, give it a try, it's not like you can't go back... ya' know. Before you do any damping adjustments, set your sag adjustment, if you haven't already... makes a big difference. Then WFO and let the suspension do it's thing

Creeper
Old 02-18-2004, 04:21 PM   #11
mikektm OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Well, give it a try, it's not like you can't go back... ya' know. Before you do any damping adjustments, set your sag adjustment, if you haven't already... makes a big difference. Then WFO and let the suspension do it's thing

Creeper

I'm going to try it. From road racing I know how important sag is. What is recomended for the adventure, and can you adjust the front?

Mike
Old 02-18-2004, 04:25 PM   #12
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikektm
I'm going to try it. From road racing I know how important sag is. What is recomended for the adventure, and can you adjust the front?

Mike
Sorry, I just now saw your reply. Unless someone else has the answer, you'll have to wait until I get home tonight. No owners or service manual huh?

Creeper
Old 02-19-2004, 07:13 PM   #13
mikektm OP
Adventurer

I've got all the manuals. But The 03 doesn't have preload adjusters on the front, just compresion and rebound. I might have just missed the sag specs in the manual.

I saw KTm offers preload adjusters for the 48mm forks have you put them on your bike?

Mike
Old 02-19-2004, 08:05 PM   #14
creeper
Still alive...

No, no spring preload adjusters in the front. Best you can do is get springs for your weight/riding skill level from sombody like Race Tech. Go to their website, they have a page for calculating it. Just getting the sag right on the back makes a big difference though.

Creeper
Old 02-20-2004, 01:02 AM   #15
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Creeper, I still don't know where I stand on the preload adjusters. It appears the offer about 10mm's (approx .400") of range. Seems the money would be better spent on the proper springs. I can see using them when going from an empty tank to a full one, but then they would need adjusters that could be spun by hand.

Mike, Sounds like you need a Duke II sprocket for your commute, and 16tooth for offroad. If your commuting that much I'd either add a 6th gear or swap out the sprocket. Cheers, Mack
Attached Images

Mack screwed with this post 02-20-2004 at 01:10 AM
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote