Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #16
colemanapp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I've got an 07 TE 450. 3900 miles. More street miles than I planned but its been nothing to maintain. Change oil, clean filter, change tires. This bike will surely pull taller gearing. Husky has changed that every year as far as I can tell. The 07's came stock 13-50. A 15 up front takes maybe 3 minutes with chain adjustment. I think this year they nailed it with the 47 rear. Get the 13 and 15 front and you are on the same chain with lots of flexibility.
colemanapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:44 AM   #17
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchThrottle
I think I have a new all in one dream bike, and was curious if any TE450 or TE510 owner care to share their insights/words of caution to the rest of us. I like the 6sp e-star w/kicker backup, and the 250ish lbs and all with a plate. That is just awesome, and the price ain't bad either. Not sure about the whole fuel injection part though. Let's here what you have got to say.
Great Bikes.... I can't comment on the EFI because mines an 07. I have about 310 hours/8200 miles on mine without a single problem, all I've done is normal maintenance. If you have any specific questions ask away.

Hey Ruffus... No I didn't do a TAT ride report cause I'm not much with words, but all my pics are here. Louge has posted a few of them around, but there are about 200. http://sherpa.smugmug.com/gallery/33...85124053_x7Bei

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:37 AM   #18
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa
Great Bikes.... I can't comment on the EFI because mines an 07. I have about 310 hours/8200 miles on mine without a single problem, all I've done is normal maintenance. If you have any specific questions ask away.

Hey Ruffus... No I didn't do a TAT ride report cause I'm not much with words, but all my pics are here. Louge has posted a few of them around, but there are about 200. http://sherpa.smugmug.com/gallery/33...85124053_x7Bei

Looks like an epic ride. Where did you start from? Someday......
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #19
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,050
Hi Robert, thanks for the link. I see I missed an epic ride
Hopefully I'll be able to make it in the next year or two. I know my Husky's ready willing & able

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #20
yanni23
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
I'm seriously hoping I can make it next year, I've missed out on a lot of great rides over the last 2 years. I take it all levels of experience are covered in this ride?
C+ skill level at least would be wise. Here are the pics from the ride with Loam Hill coming up first at only 20 miles in...you be the judge of your own skill level for this stuff. I'm the dude with the Confederate patch on the back of my vest.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343017
yanni23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #21
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,050
Well if I go by my 25 years ago skills, I won't have a problem.

BTW, these are the same skills that led to my currently broken leg

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #22
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
I saw a couple dudes on SM Husky's tonight near Granby, CT. We waved, they waved, the they did some syncronized wheelies. Those things just look like too much fun. If my YZF600 can't be brought to life cheeply (blew something up tonight....lotsa oil...lotsa smoke ), I may part her out, and start saving for the a new toy.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #23
Mr Sleazy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Te 450 510

Long range solutions

Has anyone else worked over their machine for long-range riding? I set mine up with panniers, braces, large fuel tank. Now I am looking at grabbing a spare set of wheels for street duty, mainly to save the knobbies.

Use it for commuting duty as well as recreational.

This is a great bike. I am interested to see the longevity of it, too. As far as the more "pure dirt bike" type machines, I am hoping this will be one of the most durable.
Husky TE510
Mr Sleazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #24
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sleazy
Long range solutions

Has anyone else worked over their machine for long-range riding? I set mine up with panniers, braces, large fuel tank.
Could you post some photos of your long range steed with its mods?
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #25
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa
Great Bikes.... If you have any specific questions ask away.

what type of saddle bags and panniers did you mount on your TE for the epic ride? gearing selection? type of tires?
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:08 AM   #26
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
what type of saddle bags and panniers did you mount on your TE for the epic ride? gearing selection? type of tires?
I purchased the dirtbagz & racks for the Husky 610 then cut and rewelded the racks to fit the 450. I ran 14/48 sprockets and used MT21's front and rear.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.

sherpa screwed with this post 06-03-2008 at 10:50 AM
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #27
Mr Sleazy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
TE510 for touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
Could you post some photos of your long range steed with its mods?
Sure thing!!

Here is the beast, an 07 510. List of gear / mods:

1. New stator and reg/rectifier from Trailtech, to allow higher headlight output.
2. New headlight, the 8" 55w halogen from Baja Designs. Just could not afford the HID.
3. 14/50 gearing. This does OK for both off-road and on.
4. Windshield from Twisted Throttle. Nice design. Smashed it to bits 3 weeks ago when I looped the bike. Oh well.
5. CRG Racing bar end folding mirror. Better on the street than stock, and has mostly survived (is starting to show some damage) numerous drops. I like to fall over to the left for some reason.
6. 3.4 gallon tank from IMS. I cracked this one, probably when I looped the bike, but will get another soon.
7. Garmin 60Cx gps. Very nice unit. RAM mount. One of the most important pieces of kit.
8. Fastaway footpegs. Nice platforms.
9. JD jet kit. My fuel economy went from 30 mpg to 43 mpg I kid you not. Very important long range mod.
10. Custom aluminum frame (dirt bagz inspired) to keep the panniers out of the wheel.
11. Promoto rack for the 610. I had an aluminum plate made to support the rack under the fender; bike does not come with any way to attach a rack.
12. Ortlieb panniers from aerostich. Very good quality.

Bike with windshield and IMS tank, both since destroyed in a looper:

Front of bike, I made some LED blinkers to mount on the handguards. Not very bright, but they work OK and won't break off:

Underside of rear fender showing the braces for the panniers and the aluminum plate under the fender:

The kickstand on this bike is really really crappy. When loaded with camping gear, the bike likes to sit right at the tip over point, so that any slight gust of wind will finish the job. I learned to tie the bike up, it seems to like the bondage treatment:

I have 5500 km on the bike now, about 50/50 road and dirt. Is this an ideal long range touring bike? If you mean round the world stuff, probably (well maybe definitely) not.

But for strictly off-road touring, its a pretty good contender.

What would I change about the bike?

Better kickstand
Wider range gearing

Since we are in the land of wishes, I would probably trade a few horsepower for either a lighter machine or more longevity. It is a high powered motor and we will see how many kms I can rack up on it. No wear problems yet, except for a hydraulic clutch o-ring. The high hp are sure fun, but I don't really need them.
Husky TE510
Mr Sleazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #28
GB007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Thumb

Most fun D/S bike ever! Has been in Baja, adventure rides, OHV parks, sand, mud, rocks, etc... This is such a fun bike!

GB007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #29
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
I join the Husky nation tomorrow when I take ownership of an '08 SM450R. Ssssshhhhhh don't tell GOT DIRT? Not that my bud Tim hasn't already spilled the beans. It is an FI bike, and that has me nervous. The oil changes will be pricey and often. I am already debating a Scotts oil filter for it. At $70 it will pay for itself in no time with the amount of changes this thin requires. On oil, I have been reading threads. Is the Mobil1 15w50 (red label) going to be an issue? I was also told by a tech at the dealer that 2500 mile valve check intervals would be fine for a non-raced bike....any truth to this? Also want a shop manual for it. Any help there? Thanks in advanced fellas.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #30
KDXKLXKLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Loved it!!!

I just road a TE510 in the Desert of Borrego Springs In So. Ca. last weekend. It's the first Dual Sport that felt and handled like a real dirt bike. Ohhhh Soooo Sweet !!!
Name:  Borrego08.JPG
Views: 3867
Size:  104.7 KB
KDXKLXKLR is offline   Reply With Quote