Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #31
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchThrottle
I join the Husky nation tomorrow when I take ownership of an '08 SM450R. Ssssshhhhhh don't tell GOT DIRT? Not that my bud Tim hasn't already spilled the beans. It is an FI bike, and that has me nervous. The oil changes will be pricey and often. I am already debating a Scotts oil filter for it. At $70 it will pay for itself in no time with the amount of changes this thin requires. On oil, I have been reading threads. Is the Mobil1 15w50 (red label) going to be an issue? I was also told by a tech at the dealer that 2500 mile valve check intervals would be fine for a non-raced bike....any truth to this? Also want a shop manual for it. Any help there? Thanks in advanced fellas.

Oil changes....there are two screens which help the paper filter ...I just inspect the paper filter every oil change and replace it every third change. The screens have been absolutely clean since 250 miles. When at home I'll change the oil about every 500 miles....while on the TAT ride we changed them every 1000 or so.

Valve adjustments. I'm anal and check the valves pretty often...2500 miles is more than I'd be comfortable with...that said, my valves have never gotten out of spec in the 8000 miles I've put on them...I just tweak them back to the middle of the spec when needed.

Oil....I use the Mobil 1 15W50 Silver cap, which may be the old Red Cap....not sure...but I'm a devout atheist and most people wouldn't trust me on religious issues.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #32
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
I doubt I will sleep a wink tonight, nor get much work done tomorrow. I am stoked for this bike. I am watching every youtube husky sumo vid I can find. I just killed one beer, and am cracken another in a sec.

I do have give big props to my wife. She didn't say a word when she had to come pick me up after I blew serious oil into my intakes running it off with my buddies 600rr on my yzf600. When I told her I really wanted a SM bike and was gonna part out my yzf to help foot the cost.....she just told me to do what made me happy. When I told her it was gonna be $7752 OTD, she didn't even make a face.....She isn't a supermodel, but this kind of "freedom" is priceless. She even offered to drop me off so I could rife it home.....awesome.

Anyways I digress....back to the bike...I have to admit, I have never had to maintain a serious race bike. Hope I am not in over my head.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #33
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,039
regular maintenance on a Husky is a breeze, not as intense as you might be led to believe & just another reason to have a couple cold frosties while you're working on her. Cheers & welcome to Husky

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #34
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

How did you know I measure time in beer? So a beer last me 15 minutes tops. Does that mean the oil changes will be done inside 2 beers? What about valve checks? 3 beers? Maybe I should wait till after the maintainence to crack em Just for the record, good steak over the right heat takes 1 beer, and you flip it halfway through the beer
Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #35
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
Valves checked in 1 beer, if your trying to save time, oil drains as you do it, 1.5 beers for both! Adjusting all 4, if it ever needs it about 1/4 beer. It is that easy.
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #36
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,798
Tires

Any rider reports on the TE510 with various makes of tires??

I've tried a pair of Michelin S12 (not DOT legal) tires and they did out perform the stock Michelin Enduro III in muddy knarly single track.

Photo compare

S12's

Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #37
drtytim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
So when are you ganna post some pics of that new bad boy. I have to admit i'm kind of jealous!!

2001 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Kawasaki KLX250
drtytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #38
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
BTW, these are the same skills that led to my currently broken leg
Funny you should mention it, but I picked up my 06 TE510 this winter, and after a few weekends in the Coast/Cascade Ranges in Oregon despertly trying to find areas with no snow - I broke my leg about 5 weeks ago.

I had big hopes for this season....

and I bought a case of 10-60 that's sitting in my garage. Ouch.

So far so good - I seem to have a small oil weep on the top of the case, but have not been able to investigate at all. FBF high comp piston, gone-thru carbs, 3.9 G tank, LV Ti full exhaust, and custom suspension. I *need* a Renazco seat, but so far it's fantastic.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #39
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

Can I just say OH MY GOD! I have a total of 7 miles on it (3 of em mine), and all I wanna do is ride more. Here are some pics....enjoy......
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #40
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

Call me lame, but I can't update 2 pics at once....
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #41
drtytim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
wow, that thing looks like alot of fun

2001 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Kawasaki KLX250
drtytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #42
GOT DIRT?
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
For Sale 2002 ktm400exc plated and 2002 yamaha yzf600r. So I can buy one of those. As for the oil I think mobil 1 with the red cap is for cars only.It does not have the additives for the tranny on a bike.Canton Cycle stocks 15/50 spectro synthtic(I think thats how its spelled).Thats what the KTM calls for. Its $12.00 a liter.
GOT DIRT? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #43
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Funny you should mention it, but I picked up my 06 TE510 this winter, and after a few weekends in the Coast/Cascade Ranges in Oregon despertly trying to find areas with no snow - I broke my leg about 5 weeks ago.

I had big hopes for this season....

and I bought a case of 10-60 that's sitting in my garage. Ouch.

So far so good - I seem to have a small oil weep on the top of the case, but have not been able to investigate at all. FBF high comp piston, gone-thru carbs, 3.9 G tank, LV Ti full exhaust, and custom suspension. I *need* a Renazco seat, but so far it's fantastic.

Hope you heal quick My healing is taking forever, Just had surgery #5 April 30, back on crutches. The Big Bad Wolf can get nasty in a heart beat if ya don't respect her

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #44
Speed3
Aangenaam verdoofd

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchThrottle
Can I just say OH MY GOD! I have a total of 7 miles on it (3 of em mine), and all I wanna do is ride more. Here are some pics....enjoy......
Did you get it at Motofit in Danbury ??
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #45
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3
Did you get it at Motofit in Danbury ??
Yup. $7752 was gonna be my OTD price, but I opted to switch my yzf600 reg (good till March 2010) so my OTD was $7608. They had a bunch of bikes there. It is a tiny building with an itty bitty showroom/outside display and zero parking. That is probably why I was able get it so.....er.....um....cheap? They said they will do the powerup kit for $399 installed with the FI remapping. That is after my 600 mile break in period. I may need to hold off on that upgrade as I already stretched my budget a whole bunch to nab this bike.