Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #91
KLRFNG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hey guys, I just picked up a new TE 450 and I,m still breaking it in. Here are my impressions ,as for the gearing ,yes it needs to be a little wider spaced especially since the motor could easily pull a wider gear box.
When I bought the bike immmediatly installed the power up kit, whitch woke the motor up big time. I rode some tight trails yesterday and realized this thing barky as hell on 1st and 2nd gear rocky single track. Any info on re-mapping the ignition/EFI to mellow this abrupt hit off idle? How about adjustments to the TPS? Any info on this would be much appreciated.
As of yet I can,t fairly comment on the suspension yet as It,s not broke in yet, although it feels well balanced right off the show room floor without any adjustments, but I,ll dosome testing with some different settings soon.
I ground the peg thing off the kick stand bolt so the spring won`t flip the kick stand up when ever weight is taken off of it, whitch was a pain.
So far I installed a Motosportz steering stabilizer, some Cycra hand gaurds and a skid plate, the bike came with a 13 t front sprocket and I`ll be putting on a 14 asap.
KLRFNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #92
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,813
you could change the throttle tube to mellow the off idle hit..

Conversley, I have no problem at all in tight single track with my 510 but mabye you just are not familiar with your new bike yet.

Did you remove the throttle stop/limiter that comes on it when new?
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #93
KLRFNG
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply Fast 55, the dealer removed the throttle stop even before I picked up the bike. I hate to sound like a dummy but I,m not sure what you mean by throttle tube, I,ve been riding dirt bikes for almost 40 years but this is my first fuel injected bike so please bear with me, Thanks
Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #94
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,683
The throttle tube is the handle portion of the throttle. It is available as a separate part because it is a wear item. Husky uses the same tube as the KTM four strokes, so you can get either a g2ergo tube or a unipro tube. The g2 has three available cams which are weaker at part throttle, and the unipro settings below position 5 are weaker than stock.

http://g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/Throt...s-TCS-8-1.html
http://rollonthrottle.com/ktmunipro.html
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #95
KLRFNG
Adventurer

Thanks again Fast 55, I had A brain fart and thought that was a part in the throttle body, I know what a throttle tube is ,and I appreciate your suggestion , I,ll ckeck into it, sounds like a good idea,thanks.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #96
KLRFNG
Adventurer

I mean thanks Potatoho I,m new to this
Old 08-17-2008, 05:41 AM   #97
JoelSchmenge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Wannabee (Soontobee)

Hay everybody,

I'm looking at selling my current ride (08 XR650L) and getting the Husky I originally wanted. The question I have is that I have read somewhere, can't remember where, that the SM510 has a counter balancer in the engine and the TE does not? Is this true? If so then I will buy the SM and get a second set of stock rims for off road duty. Counter balancer just adds to my comfort factor even though it is just a mental thing. Any help?...

Dave Morgan
JoelSchmenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:42 AM   #98
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
For those looking for a bigger tank, Halls is now shipping 3 gallon tanks for the 08 FI 250\450\510's

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #99
KLRFNG
Adventurer

Hey Ruffus, thanks for the heads up on the 3 gallon tank. Do you know how I can get in touch with Halls? I,ve never heard of them. Any pictures available? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #100
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
I dunno about it not having a counter balancer (if it does, it isn't balancing much). I can tell you that I call my '08 sm450 the paint mixer because it vibes alot. I can also tell you, it's fast, the front wheel comes up fast (even on corner exits....so cool), it stops fast (the rear wheel comes up fast too), it corners fast (even on tight corners), the gas runs out fast (3 gal tank fixes that), you tire of the seat fast (fixes for that too), and I hear the 510 eat's tire fast....did I mention it's not orange?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSchmenge
Hay everybody,

I'm looking at selling my current ride (08 XR650L) and getting the Husky I originally wanted. The question I have is that I have read somewhere, can't remember where, that the SM510 has a counter balancer in the engine and the TE does not? Is this true? If so then I will buy the SM and get a second set of stock rims for off road duty. Counter balancer just adds to my comfort factor even though it is just a mental thing. Any help?...

Dave Morgan

Riding a motorcycle is fun. Riding a supermoto is inexplicable.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #101
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRFNG
Hey Ruffus, thanks for the heads up on the 3 gallon tank. Do you know how I can get in touch with Halls? I,ve never heard of them. Any pictures available? Thanks.
Here ya go

Hall's Husqvarna
3801 North Dirksen Parkway
62707 - Springfield (Illinois) - USA
Phone: 217-789-0107 Fax: 217-789-7408
Email: jay@halls-cycles.com
Web: http://www.halls-cycles.com

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #102
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,443
Can anyone comment on the feel of the motor, 610 vs. 450/510? I love the 610 motor, such a wide powerband. I suspect the 450/510 is quicker revving, higher revving but my do the "chain slap" thing a bit more...at low rpms.

From what i've read, there isn't as much weight difference as the brocure would have us believe. No doubt it can be felt though.
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #103
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by motometal
Can anyone comment on the feel of the motor, 610 vs. 450/510? I love the 610 motor, such a wide powerband. I suspect the 450/510 is quicker revving, higher revving but my do the "chain slap" thing a bit more...at low rpms.

From what i've read, there isn't as much weight difference as the brocure would have us believe. No doubt it can be felt though.
With proper chain tension, chain slap is minimal, but I still get a bit when I'm lugging the engine, easy solution, stay in the right gear & no chain slap. As for the weight, my TE 510, with an IMS 3.9 gallon tank full of gas, rad gaurds, Uptite skid plate, Buell head light & windscreen assembly, bark busters, disk guard, steel rear sprocket comes in at 305 lbs ready to go. I'm guessing once I install the BD side tank & luggage rack, it'll be about 315-320 with 5.4 gallons of gas

06 Husky TE510

Ruffus screwed with this post 08-27-2008 at 04:00 PM
Old 08-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #104
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,443
I think my 610 was 325 with full (stock) tank, and no extra bolt ons adding weight.
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #105
KLRFNG
Adventurer

Thumb

I checked into the 3 gal. tank that Halls is selling, it,s made by IMS . Unfortunatly it,s not compatable with my Motosportz steering stabilizer, the guy I talked to at Halls said that Motosportz is working on a solution to that problem.
As I posted earlier I felt the power delivery was a bit abrupt for really tight technical riding. So folowing the advice of Fast55 I tried an after market throttle tube. The tube I tried is a Moose throttle tube with the control cam installed. This was a major improvement, and I recommend it if your into riding the kind of trails that are probably more suited for a trials bike.
I also put a 14 t counter shaft sprocket on and that helps when the terrain opens up like in the desert and lght commuting.
So far my TE 450 is a blast to ride, it feels a lot lighter than my 03 525, and oil changes are easier too. I still haven,t played with the suspension too much yet but that,s next.