User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
cody94dr350 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
lowering a dr350?

anyone have any experience lowering a dr350? my fiance wants a bike, and i think i want something bigger, so maybe lower the 350 and I buy a 650. shes about 5'6" is it do-able to make it comfortable for her?
cody94dr350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Adanac rider
The Great Gazoo

Oddometer: 80
I put a 1.75" kouba link and raised the forks in the triple clamps,a lowered seat and lower profile tires.My wife is only 5'2" and she can tippy toe now.It has less ground clearance but not a problem for where she will be riding.I think there are different links also if you want more ground clearance.Nice little bike ,just enough power for the road at speed limit.
Adanac rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
How ironic that the 650 is a lower bike than the 350...

Kouba lowering links, putting a spacer inside the shock, or finding a shorter shock for the rear.

Spacers inside the forks or sliding them up in the triple clamps to lower the front.

17 inch wheels will lower both ends

Shave some foam out of the seat to lower the middle

Boots like gene Simmons to extend your legs

I think the 350 is 35.5 inches tall and has a 17 inch shock to start with. How low do you need to go?

I took about 3 inches off the top of a ktm bike which is now shorter than my 350
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
cody94dr350 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Right now when she gets on the bike she can't get it off the kick stand, she has toes touching on one side and her other foot is 2-3 inches off the ground
cody94dr350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
tonusmaximus
maximus

Oddometer: 437
When u lower it prepare to cut the sidestand or park on a hill... ask me Ive seen mine almost fall over
tonusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
I just lowered a 250 down to 34 inches by shortening the shock length. Not terribly difficult or expensive if you are handy in the shop. The following steps will shorten the street shock about 20 mm.

1. Remove shock from bike and deflate the nitrogen through the Schrader valve.

2. Remove the spring then the bottom clevis from the shock shaft

3. Obtain a generic # 6203 roller bearing and pound the cage out of it with a suitable punch. You are trying to end up with the outer race which will be your internal shock spacer. The race is 40mm diameter and 12mm deep and will plop right into the 40mm shock body.

4. Push the shock seal head into its reservoir to make room for your spacer. Remove the internal circuit, drop the spacer in and replace the circlip.

5. Cut off about 8mm of the threaded portion of the clevis. This still leaves enough threads to screw back onto the shock shaft properly.

6. Reassemble shock in reverse order and recharge the nitrogen
reservoir. Install shock back into bike and consume an adult beverage while saying hello to your new little friend.

The street shock clevis could be shortened another 10 mm if you bore and thread it deeper. The clevis mod wont work on the dirt shock but you could theoretically use two internal spacers for 24mm of shortening. Or make your own spacer of whatever length on your lathe.

Everything done here is reversible and the only cost is for a donor bearing. You probably need fresh nitrogen anyways so it doesn't count as a new expense.

I was just barely able to install the stock spring without special tools and the kickstand just barely works so if you go any shorter, plan on these issues.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote