User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
ozimick OP
destination unknown

Oddometer: 435
Day trip - South East Queensland

Went for a ride last week that was basically a loop circumnavigating my house at a radius of about 120 klm. Here is a bit of what I saw....

First up I headed south east into the Cooloola National Park and some nice hard packed sandy tracks.

Harrys Hut built approx 1950 for the local timber cutters at the time, I assume Harry Springs either built it or lived here. The area is now a popular camping area.

Something special about getting out and riding as the sun comes up. Heading north now, parallel to the coast

What Tha ? Came across this in the middle of no where....

Heading into the "Great Sandy Straits" area and the tracks are starting to improve
The 4wds leave their mark on the environment

Some Rain Forest

Some History.... The area was heavily logged through to the third quarter of last century.
OOPS, and the tracks improve further, The pic doesnt show it but it was quite steep here.... it was truely !

The going was quite heavy through this section, KTMatts Bash plate did a bit of track levelling here and there

And through the tree tops we have the east cost of OZ and the Pacific Ocean

One last challenge and
We are at the beach. This stretch is between Noosa and Rainbow Beach ...Beautiful ! It was here that I took some advice from nevgriff64 on his lap of Aust "Just keep turning left when you hit the Ocean.." and did just that, heading off toward Rainbow Beach.

The tide was in so it was the soft stuff all the way oh ye what fun
I turned off just before the town of Rainbow Beach and headed back into the forest. It was about 9 am and 20 degrees c but I was soaked in sweat under my jacket from the sand sections, must be getting soft I think.

So a return to riding a bit of the quicker stuff was welcomed, a chance to cool down.
Into the plantation pine of Toolara forest now the scenery begins to change. The Timber industry is a major player for employment in the south east, predominately plantation soft woods.

Check it out I got the time delay thingy to work
Clear fall logging just completed in this area and is being prepared for re planting. See those mountains on the horizon ? Stay tuned and we will have a look up there after lunch....
ozimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,378
Nice sand riding! thanks for the report and pics
Old 12-16-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,314
Beautiful!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
kj106
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
you understate the difficulty - considerably!!

this stretch is not at all easily traversed - well done. How do you get your chain to last more than 1000Km?

Then again, I have found Aussies to be very resourceful. Living in the bush, you need to be creative and adverturous and you appear to be both. Good on you mate.

regards, Jack
kj106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:17 AM   #5
ozimick OP
destination unknown

Thanks Gadget Boy and winterhk. Unfortunately for you guys I seem to be unable to capture the true beauty as I see it. My reporting skills are sadly lacking I am afraid but I am working on it...

kj106 Thanks for your comments, I realised the going was tougher than normal as the temp guage was showing 5 notches (and it rarely goes above 4) for most of the morning and the fan was running continuous. Gotta tell you I knew I had done some riding by the time I left the beach.
I just replaced the DID chain I have been running,believe it or not ,it lasted for 10 000 klms.

Mick
Old 12-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #6
ozimick OP
destination unknown

Continuing north through the Tuan - Toolara Plantation forests the roads opened up

Nearly like out west this stuff
More of the same.

And while the Dunlop 908 was a strong performer in the sand it was not doing so well in the gravel.... I guess one cant complain after about 4700 klms hey ? last ride for this one.

Still feeling a bit warm so I found this little lagoon and had a bit of a swim

Katey dont go much for swimming though, preferring only to get her feet... wet .
From the water hole it was time to swing left again and head west, crossing the Bruce Highway (the #1 highway in Queensland) at Tairo to head into the hills and hardwood forest.

Mary River Crossing just outside Tairo

Then some more dirt through to Brooweena.

These were used by the poineers in the area for transporting timber to the sawmill.
Brooweena sawmill as it is today... I would think the workers still do it pretty tough. maybe I am mistaken but conditions look pretty average.

From Brooweena it was head south with a bit of tar for something different, pulled up for a chat with one of the locals but he wasnt too happy too see me, quite angry in fact.... mmm thought it best if I kept out of his way.
The Brown Snake may be found all over Australia. It has extremely potent venom, and although the quantity of venom injected is usually small, this snake causes more snakebite deaths in Australia than any other. Sudden and relatively early deaths have been recorded. Its venom causes severe coagulation disturbances, neurotoxicity, and occasionally nephrotoxicity.
Nasty little suckers indeed !!

More history... in the middle of nowhere

Then it was off into the mountains, remember, the ones I was looking at earlier this morning?

Oh by the way, miss a corner and you will probably be going home in a box... thats if anyone finds you need to ride with caution.

Thought it best not to go through here. You know everytime I come to a sign like this it reminds me of Hunsta for some reason, dunno why, its the whole shooting, guns thing I think. And riding around on your own in areas like this with these signs around is kinda creepy.Dont usually hang around too long.

Found some more locals trying to blend in with the surrounds, they wernt as cranky as the last local but still they didnt want too chat. Maybe I need to change my deodorant.
Looking back at where I was this morning, cant see it in the photo though. Iam sure there is a way across the top of the ridges I am on at present that will get me further south to the Jimna area but I dont seem to be able to find it at present.. bit preoccupied with my feet .

For some reason my boots, Tech 6s, were giving my feet a hard time today, not sure whether it was from the salt water getting in earlier or what but I was starting to struggle with the pain in both feet. The balls (or whatever they call them) at the back of both feet were like burning, pins and needles type feeling and I couldnt seem to stop it. Must be getting soft... Really need better boots for this stuff... but what to buy ???

So it is down off the mountain, again with some caution

Like you come over a rise and there would be the odd rut in the road

Found some wet conditions at the bottom of the range near Widgee
And Skippy hanging out with a couple of mates

By this time I had been in the saddle for around 10 hrs and the temperature had been a little warm the middle of the day, I was starting to get a little 2nd hand to be honest. I had planned to continue to head south back up into the Jimna forest with another 200 odd klms to complete the full loop around my house but it would have too wait for now. I decided to cut and run for home 25 klms away on the tar.
Hope you liked the ride around my back yard.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:31 AM   #7
Beeming
Itchy Feet

Oddometer: 636
Nice back yard! Very nice country out there, thanks for sharing Yeah O ring chains are the go. My chain on the XR-400 has done 15,000 klm's (all dirt) and no tight spots either. Maxima Chain Wax will extend the mileage on your chain too.

Cheers

Tads
07 GS1200ADV (History), 2008 Oz Trike, 93 FLHS HD, 83 XLH HD(Missus Bike), 97 GSX-R-600(Ex SuperSport Race Bike), 97 XR-400, 74 Norton Commando Mk II(Ex Post Classic race Bike), 06 DT-175, 82 CB-250, 02 VMoto. Work to Ride, Ride to Work
http://wwf.org.au/ourwork/species/
...Adventure before Dementia...
Beeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:02 AM   #8
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Bloody awesome to see a bit of SE Qld on this forum. Pretty jealous of the Sunny Coast hinterland. It seems nicer than the Goldy one which is my back yard. Any tips on planning little weekend breaks like this? I’m new to duel sport riding and so far struggle with pegging out routes of the beaten track. If I look at a topo map for dashed lines they are usually not a through route and I prefer not to back track. Sometimes I can’t seem to find the turn off.
I'm going to be giving Tracks4Australia a go once I get a GPS.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:12 AM   #9
oziexplorer
fugarewe tribe member

Oddometer: 1,171
Thumb Great report

Fantastic - some great pictures which help to show off our great country
oziexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #10
victor xt
riding the edge

Oddometer: 59
Very nice report, it reminds me of my trip to Fraser island at the begining of this year, in that time, we were in 4wd Nissan Patrol and i coudn't see any bike throught the island, are bikes allowed or not? could be the erosion caused by motorbikes tyres? very nice location, specially Rainbow beach.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #11
SheRidesABeemer
Go Big or Go Home.

Oddometer: 1,905
Nice viewing for those of us snowed in! Thanks!!
87 K75
Do what you love, and do it often.
SheRidesABeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #12
KTMatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Hi Mick

Nice ride you had there mate and its go to see you are puting the bash plate to good use. I think I need to take it easy Ive only got 3700km on my 908rr (lots of rock on the South Coast of NSW) and its shaged and the chain is shot at only 6000km and its a DID with stelth sprockets so it looks like Ill be giving Chain Gang a call.

Cheers Matt
Old 12-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #13
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,092
OM,

Another good write up with awesome photo's!

Bugger me drunk if you didn't slip in a bit of red dirt as well

I ride in Tech 8's myself, never had any drama's with them. Could be an expensive "testing" period if you start buying boots and then discard them. Good luck with that...

Looking forward to your next ride report.

Thanks
JTB

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #14
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,904
Mick, top pics, beautiful countryside. That Katey's a fine looking animal!
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #15
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Great RR and wonderful photos.

Thanks,

Bob

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is online now   Reply With Quote