Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2004, 03:23 PM   #16
Slappy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
As for the parts I ordered, I just followed the fiche at KTMWorld and got the three bushings with spacers and washers (one of which you cannot get) the tank, and the cap assembly. I already have the appropriate petcock and lines but most petcocks have the same bolt spacing. If you are unsure order all but the petcock and see if you can find a cheaper fit. If not then just get the factory one. I have not yet done the install but it looks pain-free for the right side. You must modify the little bracket in the area of the exhaust mount. Also it looks as though the tank is pretty close to the exhaust and may require protection from the heat.
Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:55 PM   #17
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Thanks for the update Slappy; I would be very interested in your progress with the installation - if you get the chance in the future please add it to this thread!

Cat, thanks for the help with the web catalog - (Duh!). I should know better and look around. By the way, what business does an avowed anti-tail tank user (i.e. someone who has a 660 rallye and refuses to put fuel in them) have buying rallye tanks for his adventure!?!

I am not pickin a fight, just trying to make sure there are some left when I get around to buying them...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 12:02 AM   #18
QMan
prof. dirt mover

Oddometer: 180
Hmm
I don't know why no one tries to fit a subframe of a 660 instead of trying to get the tank on the 640's subframe?

Why doesn't one buy a 660 Rally directly? I would, if I had the cash... byebye Adventure, hello Rally, even if I would only run on roads! Who cares! It's bloody cool!

Q
QMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:09 AM   #19
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,286
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
(i.e. someone who has a 660 rallye and refuses to put fuel in them)
I would use the rear tanks if I was traveling through Baja.. or someplace where I actually need to have extra fuel. But I don't if I'm just toying around in local JEEP trails. Besides, they are just cool things to have on your bike, worthy just for conversation value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMan
Hmm
I don't know why no one tries to fit a subframe of a 660 instead of trying to get the tank on the 640's subframe?
Why doesn't one buy a 660 Rally directly? I would, if I had the cash... byebye Adventure, hello Rally, even if I would only run on roads! Who cares! It's bloody cool!
660 subframe require a different battery, airbox and no passenger footpegs.
660 Rallye bikes are not something you you can walk in to your locat KTM showroom and place an order for... even in Belgium. They sure are cool bikes though, I couldn't pass up the chance to get mine... even though I don't need it and I won't use it to its designated purpose 90% of the time.. but damn is it cool to have one.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:44 AM   #20
QMan
prof. dirt mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
660 Rallye bikes are not something you you can walk in to your locat KTM showroom and place an order for... even in Belgium.
Knowing the right person helps ;)

The only problem I have is CASH. Feel free to sponsor me :)

BTW, battery? Who needs it anwayz
Old 02-18-2004, 08:11 AM   #21
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Q Man, If you have 20,000 Euros burning a hole in your pocket search around the forums I have read people talking about your problem. The biggest turnoff about the 660 for me (besides 25K USD) is the extremely rare and expensive parts. Remember you don't want to be "house poor" on your new top of the line rallye bike! For me, I would not want to be in Timbuktu trying to sweet talk a prima donna. Is that enough english idiom for ya!?!

I was also appreciative of others opinions that the performance of the 660 is best suited for screaming across the Sahara at 100mph and not great for day to day grinds or long distance touring. Maybe Cat has a comment on that since he uses his 660 for bombing around Appalachia.

Not sure but I don't think Cat is your connection (I think he posted something about walkin into a dealership and there one was - lucky dog! - but I might be mistaken).

=======

Slappy, I see a heat shield on the parts diagram but dunno if its right for your application.

46 HEAT PROTECTOR 58308041050
Says its available for $13.30...

Old 02-18-2004, 08:11 AM   #22
Cat0020
El cheapo

Cool2

Quote:
If you know the right person, who can supply a 660 Rallye bike in Belgium, there is no need for cash.. just have that same person sponsor you.

Old 02-18-2004, 01:30 PM   #23
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 675
Quote:

The only problem I have is CASH. Feel free to sponsor me :)

BTW, battery? Who needs it anwayz

Hi QMan,

I know I guy that wanna sell his 98 660Rally for under 5000.- Euros
He is living in Luxembourg.

Interested?
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:12 PM   #24
QMan
prof. dirt mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happe
Hi QMan,

I know I guy that wanna sell his 98 660Rally for under 5000.- Euros
He is living in Luxembourg.

Interested?
Eh no thanks, I prefer the more recent stuff

I haven't got 20.000 euros burning in my pocket but here the parts aren't that hard to get as in the US... And I think the rally's are a bit cheaper as well. Not that much cheaper, but a bit cheaper.
There's one for sale here in belgium, for 17800 euros, second hand, model 2000 with less then 10.000 km on it, but that's way too much he's askin'!

Besides, I got my Adventure 640... happy with it, only I want a new exhaust, bigger footpegs, more power... :)
Old 02-18-2004, 02:39 PM   #25
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Eh no thanks, I prefer the more recent stuff

I haven't got 20.000 euros burning in my pocket but here the parts aren't that hard to get as in the US... And I think the rally's are a bit cheaper as well. Not that much cheaper, but a bit cheaper.
There's one for sale here in belgium, for 17800 euros, second hand, model 2000 with less then 10.000 km on it, but that's way too much he's askin'!

Besides, I got my Adventure 640... happy with it, only I want a new exhaust, bigger footpegs, more power... :)

Hi QMan,

Thats all just Peanuts
If you get the chance listen to the DAM exhaust.
Its actually build in Belgium and sold by Sommer in Germany.
I just ordered mine.
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:21 AM   #26
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
How much does the 660 RHS tank cost from the link in the US??
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:13 AM   #27
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

I havent finished the process, but initially the tank alone (without cap pieces, fuel line, petcock, mounting hardware) is $175 USD or about $222 AUD. You should also look into Slappy's link for mounting the thing because there is some fabrication work.

By the way overlandr, is KTM selling the 04 640 Adventure in Australia? They decided not to sell it in the USA this year.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #28
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
660 subframe require a different battery, airbox and no passenger footpegs.
I think at a minimum, Slappy, et al need to purchase or fab the supports for the subframe if they install these tanks. It looks like the 640s make do with a web, while the Rallyes don't have the web, but have the "strut."

Cat, does your bike have the 2:1 low pipe with R side silencer? How can these tanks work with the 640 high exhaust? The '97 abortions look to me to be the only ones that *may* work with high exhaust. Am I missing something?

I am with the Belgian. Why not buy a used rallye instead of (insert your favorite euphemism here)??
Old 07-19-2004, 11:18 AM   #29
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

I sent Slappy a PM - but who knows if he is bothering with us anymore...

He had some links to a page where another had done this mod. Might check there. I won't be doing it for some time as its a low priority right now.

A used Rallye might be nice but its still a Rallye. I am guessing that people want the rear tanks for range in remote places. Remote places mean less access to help or parts. Are the Rallye's easier or harder to deal with in such situations? I have heard that the FCR is a prima donna, and the other very nice HP parts, I am guessing, are more problematic in those situations than the standard LC4 Adventure. Unless ya got a pit crew following you around in a truck...

meat popsicle screwed with this post 07-19-2004 at 11:26 AM
Old 07-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #30
Cat0020
El cheapo

Cool2

When comapred to the LC4 Adv, personally, I think the Rallye hold up better in event of crash, mechanically easier to fix, more accessable to do mechanical work on the bike in the field with minimum tools, and less prone to react to "bad gas" problems.
In case of engine failure, valve or cylinder replacement.. all those major work would require the bike to be taken apart.. sepcific parts are not readily available even at your local KTM dealers anyway... and the 660 Rallye shares most of the LC4 engine bearing parts.

My 2000 660 Rallye does have a 2into1 low swung pipe that leads to the muffler at the right side. the right rear fuel tank has less capacity than the left rear tank, with an indent to give space for the muffler.. titanium muffler does not get heat up as much as stainless steel muffler.