Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
ramjet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
tips on Roads and rec on 60csx?

I was going to install Roads an Rec on my 60csx but understand there have been some issues with it functioning correctly on that particular Garmin unit. Anyone here using it on a 60csx that could offer any tips on installation and setup-or if it is of any value on that gps? Thanks.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,678
First I've heard of this. I have loaded City Select v7 along with Roads & Rec for a few trips, but I ended up never using R&R. Do you have any specifics?
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
I've got R&R v3.03 on my 60CSx.
Never noticed any problems

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Loads fine but has a few issues in use.

I have R&R v2 (along with City Select & Topo) on my 60CSx with current firmware and zero problems loading the maps and displaying the maps.

That's not to say there aren't issues thought:

I use to love R&R but my thinking has changed a little lately. R&R shows allot of water features (lakes & rivers) which is of great help with understanding the topography w/o all the topo lines and memory of Topo. Unfortunately R&R puts a higher priority on drawing water features than on roads (backward IMO). If a road follows close to a river, the river (blue line) will be drawn on top of the road (brown line) obscuring it. In the southwest the desert stream beds (washes) often double as roads and are dry 99.9% of the year but R&R obscures the road with a blue line. This is an issue on the 60 as the water features can not be turned off like they could on the the GPS V and I assume the 276c. In the NW this is less of a problem because 99.9% of the time the streams and rivers actually have water in them and the roads are usually routed away from the streams so they won't wash out. Zooming in can help separate the road and stream, but at max detail and max zoom out it's a problem in the SW.

Issues with loading multiple map sets:

The different map sets establish a hierarchy with City Select having highest priority. So if all 3 of my map sets are set to "Show", City Select will overwrite Topo and R&R. The problem comes up in that the other maps (R&R and Topo) are being drawn in the background which dramatically bogs down the redraw rate for panning or zooming. The solution is to not rely on the hierarchy structure but to go into map setup and "Hide" the map sets you are not currently using.

Another issue is when using the "Find" function the "Points Of Interest" databases from all map set will be searched, which results in multiple listing of the same item. If you search for nearest city and the city is in all 3 map data sets, it will show up 3 times in the results list. The problem with that is the redundant items make the list longer and force other items off the list. It also dramatically slows the search. "Hiding" the other map sets doesn't hide that sets POI database so there is no workaround that I know of.

I use to call R&R my favorite map set and it still would be if the streams didn't overwrite the roads and I could only have one map set. I now rely on an auto routing set (City Select or Navigator) + Topo 90% of the time.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 05-29-2008 at 10:51 AM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut
I The solution is to not rely on the hierarchy structure but to go into map setup and "Hide" the map sets you are not currently using.

Bruce
That is a great tip
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
ramjet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Thanks for the tip. Very helpful. I should mention my 60csx has City Nav 8 with about half (Western) of US loaded. 2 gig card.

I heard that on this smaller gps TOPO displays to many lines (features?) but you don't seem to be having a problem. Is there a way to configure setup to avoid problems with TOPO?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
TOPO + Navigator complement each other on a 60.

While small in size the display on the 60 is fairly sharp and the color helps allot so the contour lines are much less of a problem then they used to be. Playing with the zoom level and switching between TOPO and the less cluttered (in rural areas) Navigator works pretty well. Certainly leaving the detail to "Most" then zooming out to max while still showing the minor roads (1.2mi scale) and leaving it there will drive you nuts if there is any topography in the area.

I like TOPO as much for the named geo places (Peaks, Canyons, Springs, Mines, etc.) as the contour lines. On the old gray scale units like the GPS V the contour lines in TOPO created to much clutter if you were trying to navigate a road or even a track. Not as much of a problem if one was truly traveling cross-country in a roadless area where they help choosing a route. The thing that saved the day was that on the GPS V the user could set at what zoom levels the contour lines displayed or turn them off all together.

I sure wish Garmin hadn't dropped the ability hide some of the map layers like water features and topo contour lines on the 60 but they did!

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote