User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,976
990 fuel pump o-ring/aqualine issues

OK, I'm at my wits end on replacing this oring. Done it 3 times and each time the tank boogers up the o ring when I put the pump in.

Any of you out there with Aqualines that have a safe fix for this? I'm adverse to start filing away at the tank then wind up with something that wont seal at all.

Suggestions welcome.

One other thing about these Aqualines, they deform with use and are damned near impossible to put back on the bike, even empty. Took me about an hour to bolt up one tank. I wound up getting a buddy to help and using a long crowbar to force the lower part of the tank to line up with the bolt hole. Of course, after all this, the damned fuel pump o-ring started leaking again once I put in fuel. R&R the tank again and it was no easier the second time around. I've had enough fun throwing tools across the garage and cursing for today, I think I'll have beer.

If the tanks werent 1300 bucks I would have tossed em in the dumpster quite a while ago.

I know this seems trivial, but it would be a huge goat rope trying to do that out on the trail, and it makes oil changes not so fun. I've been regretting purchasing the tanks ever since I bolted them up the first time. So if you are contemplating getting these tanks, know in advance what you will have to deal with.

crashmaster screwed with this post 05-29-2008 at 07:39 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,885
I used a new set of the o rings.... had leak.

Found out there is a gasket that goes with the tanks... no more leaks.

Someone was trying aftermarket o rings instead of the KTm over priced set... not sure if it is working.

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
baldymountaindweller
Bald Bulganite

Oddometer: 214
Easy O ring fix

I had the same problem with my 990 and got fed up with the cutting of the oring. whilst having one of my many spac attacks and threatening to cut the tank up, i decided to see how thick the plastic was around the base where the oring was being damaged. ends up it is quite thick so I got out the trusty Bur grinder and put a nice little chanfer all the way around and used a bit of rubber grease and in it went like a small thing in a big hole and no damage. I also used the rubber gasket that came with the tanks because it still leaked even with the oring in tact. Use never seize on the bolts for the fuel pump too or youll risk stripping the nutserts in the tank. they are very week.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,740
Growing Tanks

Nice post by LC8TY.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343908

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:03 AM   #5
Pom
Old fart on big bike

Oddometer: 157
Make the pump fit the tanks

I have the ever changing tanks and have experienced the leaking pump problems - as well as all the others.
I believed the problem was being caused by the four mounting points in the tank expanding away from each other and making it impossible to get the bolts to pull the pump down flat on the tank (I assume you are using the flat rubber gasket from Aqualine as well, as the standard O rings will never work on their own).
The bolts pass thru four very well fitting holes in the pump before trying to line up with the mounts on the tank - as my mounts changed position when the tanks grew, the bolts never went in straight and true.
So I carefully wrapped the pump in cloth and took to each mounting hole with a round file - I reasoned that if the mounts were moving, they were most likely to move away from the centre of the hole - so I filed each hole to slot radiating out from the centre of the pump - ie towards the corner. It sounds scary but there is plenty of metal there and if you go back to standard tanks the pump will still fit fine.
The result was all four bolts pulled the pump down nicely to the tank and no leaks again.
You can test the seal by standing the tank up on the bench and putting in a a small amount of fuel watching for leaks.
As for fitting the tanks to the bike - I have found cooling and crowbars to be only way to go.
Hope this helps.
Pom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:02 AM   #6
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,976
Great replies folks. Well, I'm out on a 990 trip right now. I bought Mil spec Viton orings from McMaster Carr (15 for 15 bucks) and used an aviation product called Fuel Lube to coat the oring. Seems to be the ticket for mounting. I dont know how much Fuel Lube costs because I work in the aviation business and scrounged some from one off on of our mechanics.

I'm on day 2 of my trip, 600 offroad miles so far and everything is good as of today. have another 1400 miles to go in the coming days so I will see how it holds up.

I dont have the gasket. But Ben at JustGasTanks.com is going to send me one. Kudos to Ben and Just Gas Tanks. The problems with the Aqualines is not really his issue as he is only a vendor and he has been willing to do whatever it takes to make me happy, so I'm stoked about that. Too bad that kind of support doesnt come from Aqualine themselves. However, i dont see how the gasket can really do any good because the molding that the flange of the fuel pump mounts to is neither flat, nor square.

Yesterday I had couple of spectacular crashes in deep sand whoops around Randsburg, CA and everyting sees OK so far. The Gobi bags are taking a beating as neither of them will hold water anymore, my fault for beating the shit out of them. It was well over 100 F in the socal deserts yesterday and I was not in a good place when I realized that my gobis had lost ALL of the water I put in them.

Thanks again for the replies....

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:53 AM   #7
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
and used an aviation product called Fuel Lube to coat the oring
I used a product called Petroleum Jelly on the Orings. Works well.

I think it trades under the brand name "Vaseline".

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
I dont have the gasket. But Ben at JustGasTanks.com is going to send me one. Kudos to Ben and Just Gas Tanks.

Thanks again for the replies....
+1 for Ben, been very quick to help with issues on the Aqualine tanks.

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote