User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
SalMaglie OP
Gimp rider

Oddometer: 375
1993 Yamaha GTS1000

Hope I'm not jinxing the deal, but I'm picking up a 1993 Yamaha GTS1000 tomorrow. It's a strange bike, but then I like bikes that are different. The 15 minute test ride I did around suburban streets last weekend showed the steering from the weird front end to be a bit heavy and vague, but the stability and unparalleled braking power were incredible. I purposely aimed for bumps and other road imperfections and the bike just soaked it all up.

A somewhat rare bike these days since it was only imported for 2 years, it was Yamaha's flagship sport-touring bike when it first came out with a BMW like price tag of $12,999. The RADD front end designed by James Parker was supposed to revolutionize motorcycling, but it just didn't catch on. Although steering lock distance suffers with this system, IMO it's the superior braking stability and power that is the genius of this design. The detuned FZR1000 motor has plenty of power and torque to get the job done. Having adequate passing power will be no problem, something my 2003 Triumph Speedmaster doesn't have.

I'm already finding out how rare aftermarket accessories can be though when I went looking for Givi racks and found out they're no longer made. Luckily it comes with the Superbike handlebar risers. It also comes with a Corbin seat that'll need to be re-foamed and re-covered.

I'd been looking at newer FJR1300s and the Bandit 1250S before coming across this bike on the local Craigslist. Insurance quotes for the newer bikes scared me off when I was getting prices ranging from $700-1200 per year, but I was relieved when my current carrier told me $200/yr for the GTS1000 with full coverage.

I don't know if this will ever be a collectible bike, but it is possible. There's already one on display at the Barber Museum, and there was one in the Guggenheim's traveling show. But I didn't buy it for that, I bought it to ride. This will be my once or twice a year vacation touring bike, and any long day rides I want to take. If the 200+ mile shakedown ride this weekend pans out, I'm going to Gunnison, Colorado next month for the 15th anniversary rally for the bike.
SalMaglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Oddometer: 4,251
Coool Bike!!!!

My local dealer and I have a long history and he let me ride his demo when it first came out. Way before it's time like the TDM 850 (IMO). Go for it and enjoy.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Wow. I really like that thing! With hard bags it looks like it would be an excellent tourer. How many miles on it?

Please send more pics when you get it to the rally.
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,435
Beautiful man!

More pics when you get it!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,283
I still miss my 94 GTS. Nice bike!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
They are a great bike. I bought a FZR1000 in 93, super strong motor. Too bad they didn't continue to make them. You will love it!
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
SalMaglie OP
Gimp rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Mac
Wow. I really like that thing! With hard bags it looks like it would be an excellent tourer. How many miles on it?

Please send more pics when you get it to the rally.
That's my first project, get some hard bags. The bike has a little over 30,000 miles. I got a glance at the maintenance records. The first owner was very thorough with his record keeping and the folder showed it. The 2nd owner bought the bike in 2000, but said he hadn't put that many miles on. It was on a battery tender, which is not a common site around here. He also has a Ducati S2R1000, and said he prefers to ride that.

I think I'll post a ride report when I get back from the rally. I'll take my time going and split it into two 375 mile legs, riding the Devil's Highway(191 through Arizona) with a stop in Grants, NM, and the Million dollar highway out of Ouray the next day. That's a lot of scenery and a great ride for the 2 day trip up there.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #8
cbxtc6
On my Way...

Oddometer: 862
You'll learn a lot from the GTS guys at the rally. The 10th Anniversary Rally was great! Just don't listen to ANYthing Shawn P. says...

I love mine.

I considered selling it awhile back, but I'm glad it didn't sell.

You CAN still get the mounting kit for it, and any Givi bag will mount.

Get on the GTS1000 maillist. There's a LOT of info there, and in the Archives.

Enjoy!!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,283
Yoo hoo I sold the Guzzi!!!

Glad you kept the GTS though!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
zed88
n00bilicious

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbxtc6

After I saw this one I put this bike on my list of ones to own in the future. So many cool things about it!
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:46 AM   #11
SalMaglie OP
Gimp rider

No pictures for now as I have the fairing pieces off so i can do some maintenance(all fluids flushed and replaced, plus I put on the new left turn signal the PO hadn't gotten around to doing). I did take it for a 100 mile ride yesterday from Tucson to Sonoita and back. Amazing how stable this bike is at 80 mph down the interstate. It felt better passing 18 wheelers than the FJR I rented. Through the curves the front end still feels a bit vague, but I think it's just something I need to get used to. A new set of tires wouldn't hurt. Haven't heard too many good things about the Michelin Macadams that are on it right now.

The trip to DMV for the title change and new tags was a pleasant change. Only $40 for a 2 year plate instead of the usual $100+. Between that and the cheap insurance, I think I'll stick to buying older bikes from now on.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:04 AM   #12
SalMaglie OP
Gimp rider

Finally had a chance to take a few pics after having all the fairing off while doing some maintenance on the bike. Took a ride over the hill to Saguaro West National Park and just shot a few in a parking area for hikers.

I won an ebay auction for a set of Givi racks, probably overbidding, but I don't know how often these discontinued racks are available. I flushed the radiator and added new coolant. Just got some speedbleeders in the mail yesterday and some DOT 4 fluid, so next up is the brake system and the clutch fluid. Also installed a Vista cruise throttle lock, and a bar end mirror on the left side that just velcros on until I decide on a more permanent solution for my mirror problem. I can't see anything behind me with the stock mirrors due to the handlebar mod that was on the bike.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,818
Another GTS 1000

Didn't see any more suitable GTS 1000 threads and didn't feel the need to start another, so I'm reviving an old one.

I guess they all look the same! About to head out for first ride on my newest addition:

Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 05-10-2011 at 12:10 AM
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,448
Didn't someone race one of these in WERA or something? I seem to remember they called it Shamu or something.

Found a pic of a GTS racer...

2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox

OConnor screwed with this post 04-08-2011 at 08:06 PM
OConnor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,448
Ah, some info on Airtechs site...

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...0001994-95.htm
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike