Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #46
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,154
Wish I still had my 94. It was stolen in NC. When I got it back it had been dumped out of a moving truck or trailer. Guess the fuckwads couldn't get it started.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #47
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Link to some shots of the one at Allsports. Only 11K miles. Nice aftermarket seat and tall windshield. Not equipped for factory luggage. Wonder if the ABS works?

http://www.allsportinc.com/new_galleria.asp?pov=2089553
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #48
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
link to some shots of the one at allsports. Only 11k miles. Nice aftermarket seat and tall windshield. Not equipped for factory luggage. Wonder if the abs works?

http://www.allsportinc.com/new_galleria.asp?pov=2089553
damn!! $3700 bucks.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
Old 08-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #49
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Is that
"damn!! $3700 bucks ...that's high", or
"damn!! $3700 bucks ...that's low"?

Seems about right to me. Nice, rideable, classic bike with a very unique cachet. This one looks to be in good condition (as most of them are) and is in the same price range that most seem to sell for. If I didn't already have one, I'd probably buy it. Not that I wouldn't try to haggle the price down but I'd be willing to go to $3700
Old 08-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #50
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Is that

Seems about right to me. Nice, rideable, classic bike with a very unique cachet. This one looks to be in good condition (as most of them are) and is in the same price range that most seem to sell for. If I didn't already have one, I'd probably buy it. Not that I wouldn't try to haggle the price down but I'd be willing to go to $3700
$3700 might be the price I was quoted when I asked, but I thought it was $3600. They have had it for at least 5-6 months, so I'm willing to bet you could get that price closer to $3k as you move on in the riding season.

Look closely. The leading edge of the muffler is damaged from a tip-over. I think the faring (or front swingarm) has some scratches too. I've got a couple of better pics if anyone is interested.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #51
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Is that

That was a "damn that's low" exclamation. There was one in the flea market for a little more, but it had the krauser bags. I'm saving for the next bike and would love to find a GTS. I'd haggle due to the tip over damage, but not too much.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #52
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Good luck! I'd say $3400-ish and a fly-and-ride adventure would be an exceedingly gratifying purchase. I was a little leery of taking mine far from home when I first got her but am rapidly building confidence. She's currently off the road awaiting the arrival of some tiny seals so I can put the (hopefully now fully functioning) ABS back in. Also have an HID kit, GPS and radar-detector wiring and heated grips waiting to be fitted.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #53
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,036
That sounds about right for an ASKING price. I think about $ 3000 will be the selling price.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #54
wildbill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Nice day out by the (super high) Mississippi river back in June

She is now out of commission while I rebuild the seized ABS unit. Almost all stripped and cleaned but currently stuck trying to work the pistons out of the pump units. Scratching my head figuring out what to try next.
Some guy in England rebuilds the abs pumps. Might want to let him do it.

2012 Goldwing
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #55
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Some guy in England rebuilds the abs pumps. Might want to let him do it.
I know there was someone doing it a number of years ago. I heard some bad things however (rebuilt pumps with old/dirty O-rings or missing parts.)

Anyhow, I had already started by the time I found this out. Finally managed to get the pumps apart with repeated rounds in ultrasonic cleaner with weak vinegar solution, freeze/thaw, and finally back to penetrating oil (which I had tried early on). That was last weekend. Had the ABS unit mostly back together when I managed to nip one of the small seals (couldn't have been an easy to obtain O-ring, oh no!). Currently awaiting delivery of some replacements.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #56
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Success!

A bag of X-rings was waiting for me when I got in on Friday. Saturday morning, I cleaned the pump components (again), installed two new X-rings and reassembled. Getting the pump pistons all the way in without nipping the seals again was really awkward. It seems as if the chamfer in the pump body is not quite enough. Perhaps some special lube is required. It looks as if a nearly microscopic whisker of rubber was left behind when each one finally slid into place. Fingers crossed this will not mean they are going to leak and I won't have to do this all again any time soon.

Not knowing if everything was going to work, I was pretty nervous reinstalling the pump in the bike. I filled it as much as possible with clean brake fluid, using a syringe, before attaching the brake hoses. Bleeding the old fashioned way, coordinating brake lever motion with twists of a small wrench back and forth on the bleed nipple, quickly achieved soft but functioning brakes at which point I ran the ABS cycle test. It was great to successfully feel the brakes pump back up.

A further couple of minutes of brake bleeding got more bubbles out of both circuits (and in the case of the rear circuit, some nasty milky looking brake fluid - I wonder where that was hiding?) It's all flushed through clean now and I've cycled the ABS a couple of dozen times. I will run the ABS cycle test and flush things though again a couple more times over the next week or so.

I have a long gravel drive and have utilized it to test the ABS operation. Both ends work although the front still slides enough to make me not want to do it again.

If either of the new seals are leaking, they will leak into the area around the pump motor, from where it might take a while before any signs of fluid make themselves known. I will watch closely and keep an eye on the fluid levels.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #57
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

No leaks so far. Looks like it's fixed properly. Will try to make a habit of regular ABS cycle tests and will be flushing brake system at least annually. Brake fluid is cheap!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #58
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Upgrading US model switchgear and lighting (HID install)

I just discovered that the left handlebar switch unit from a Yamaha FZ600R is exactly the same as that for the GTS.

On a hunch that I could at least modify the switchgear, I picked up a UK-spec used part from the 600 for about 10 (US$16). I was pleasantly surprised to find that the cable length and plugs are identical.

Everything worked when I just plugged it in but the flash switch would only work when the lights are on. This did not seem right and investigation showed one wiring difference on the bike that needed to be accounted for. The modification required is extremely simple and is done to the switch wiring, NOT the bike's wiring so everything remains original and unadulterated.

On European models (and presumably elsewhere except US) power to the light switch comes via the fuse box on a red and yellow wire. This is not present on the US models. Instead a blue and black wire provides power on the pin that would be used to send power to the marker lights in other markets. I'm guessing this is due to Yamaha taking an easy way to make the marker and tail lights come on with the ignition.

I simply swapped the pin with red/yellow wire in the "new" switch into the slot where the blue/black wire connects.

[Ignore the green snot on the pins - The used switch I had bought was from a bike that obviously got used year-round with salt on the roads in winter. A short dip in vinegar got things clean enough to make good contact. I also smothered everything in dielectric grease]

The bike now has the capability to turn the lights off and a hi-beam flash switch. There is also an extra blue wire coming from the "new" switch that is hot when the on/off switch is in the marker light position. I used that wire to power an HID conversion.

A future simple modification internal to the light switch could allow me to use the "On" position to switch accessory driving lamps.

[Edit - Addendum] - Found and fixed a screw up related to this modification.

When I stalled the bike in gear and had to put it into neutral to get it started, I initially thought I must have left the above connector loose. However, I then discovered that the clutch interlock logic was reversed - i.e. I could start the bike in gear ONLY if the clutch was NOT squeezed.

That was a real headscratcher until I looked closer at the plugs on the new left-hand switch.

The plug that came with the FZ600R switch is at the top and the original GTS plug is at the bottom:

Obviously the switch on the clutch has normally open AND normally closed contacts and three pins to match - You just can't see them when the clutch is attached to the handlbar. The new plug was connecting to the wrong pins. Should have looked closer before I plugged everything in I suppose. The "fix" was very easy. I simply removed the pins from the plug and swapped in the plug from the original switch. Screw up unscrewed!

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 09-17-2011 at 06:02 AM
Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #59
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

HID upgrade

Here's the rat's nest of wiring that came with an eBay dual 55W HID Bixenon kit (the other light is going into another bike). Even ignoring the second headlamp, this is a lot of unnecessary stuff.

The way I'm wiring it, I cut (& soldered) things down just to this:

(could have gone even shorter with the wires but I wanted to have plenty of room if I ever need to move the ballast and igniter for any reason)
  • The top cable will trigger the HID capsule to move to the "high" position when hi-beam is selected.
  • The red wire will connect to a power supply - in this case the blue wire I left out of the connector from the new switch.
  • Black will attach to a suitable ground (earth) point.

Job done!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:29 AM   #60
tdmrider
n00b

Oddometer: 2
taller handlebars for 93 GTS 1000

I was wondering if anyone new of availability of taller handlebars. I have a 93 GTS 1000 with 10,000 mi. Any help would be great.
tdmrider is offline   Reply With Quote