User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Michhub OP
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,656
Question Richmond, VA -> Woods Hole, MA

I could use some practical advice here...planning on making this trip Sept. '08 and would like to know area's to avoid or better routes then the typical Yahoo Maps etc....generally the plan is 95(VA)->395(DC)->295(DC)->895->95->295->95->195->25->28...toll roads, super slab etc....
trying to make this trip in 1 to 2 days as its about 600 miles.....city folk please chime in...especailly NYC area.

I see maybe a better route around Providence via 138...

My idea of a long day is 300 miles but this KTM is so damn comfy that I think I can do this.....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"

Michhub screwed with this post 08-07-2008 at 05:07 PM
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Michhub OP
Major Medical

anyone, Bueller...bueller....turns out I may check out the GNCC @Snowshoe, WV then blast to Harrisburg, PA and procede from there...
Tips, Tricks....wisdom of any kind...?
Bonsai Elephant - "
Old 08-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Providence

The only fastish way through or around Providence is to use 95 then 195 toward Fall River and New Bedford. All the other roads are too long or too slow. Lots of construction where 95 joins 195 as they are about to (maybe they've already done it) reroute the whole thing. Just try not to get there at rush hour as it does jam up and there are lots of accidents in Providence. 195 from Providence to Cape Cod is really not too bad of a road most of the way, and you get a few nice views in places like when you cross the river at Fall River. I think there's only one rest area on 195 and no service areas--you have to exit for those things. I'm not an expert on the current situation in New York City, but in the past I have always taken 95 north to the GW Bridge then continued on up 95 along the CT shore, but that route is heavy, heavy traffic, and is absolutely brutal during rush hours. Crazy, crazy traffic in NYC with lots of junk in the road, including enormous pot holes, especially just east (Harlem area) of the GW bridge, which is called the Cross Bronx Expressway. In my humble opinion the CBE is one of the nastiest roads in the U.S. I would try to investigate taking the Hutchison River Parkway up to the Merritt Pkwy. to avoid some of the worst traffic on 95 going into CT.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
p3chief
Start'n Over

Oddometer: 15
Richmond, VA -> Woods Hole, MA

If I were you I would skip all of the I95, Garden State Pkwy. BS. The only way to get from Richmond to New England is I64 to I81 north to Scranton PA and pick up I84. Then the choices are yours. I have traveled from Maine, RI and NH to Florida since the 70's and have long ago threw in the towel on anything to do with I95 north of Richmond. I81 is the way to go. I tow a 5th wheel to NH from Florida and the only way I will go is I81 to Scranton, picking up I84 to I 91 in Hartford. You will have the option to go the Tatonic, Pkwy north to I90 (Mass Pike which I take if not towing the 5'r, (no trucks allowed)).
Haven't used I95 corridor since 1978 and proud of it!
p3chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Michhub OP
Major Medical

Thanks P3Chief thats the kinda info. I'm after....I realize this trip could travel through some of THE worst metro areas(under construction) and no matter how I look at it, to make it in 1-2 days won't involve much scenic beauty. Your thoughts atleast give me options....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Old 08-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3chief
If I were you I would skip all of the I95, Garden State Pkwy. BS. The only way to get from Richmond to New England is I64 to I81 north to Scranton PA and pick up I84. Then the choices are yours. I have traveled from Maine, RI and NH to Florida since the 70's and have long ago threw in the towel on anything to do with I95 north of Richmond. I81 is the way to go. I tow a 5th wheel to NH from Florida and the only way I will go is I81 to Scranton, picking up I84 to I 91 in Hartford. You will have the option to go the Tatonic, Pkwy north to I90 (Mass Pike which I take if not towing the 5'r, (no trucks allowed)).
Haven't used I95 corridor since 1978 and proud of it!
2nd this, only way to sanely go to New England. USed to to it From DC to Boston on weekends, not much longer and about the same travel time as the east coast corrider. Some pretty good scenery too.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
p3chief
Start'n Over

Oddometer: 15
Richmond, VA -> Woods Hole, MA

You guys from VA have got it over most of the east coast. A decent change of season, some beautiful coastline, hills and beautiful mountains. The wife and I will explore trying to find a few acres in the western mountain area when we retire in a couple of years. I really dislike the long hot humid summer here in FL. The brief cool month or two we get for making it through each summer is just not worth it. Hopefully the housing market will recover and we can make it happen. Anyway just to clarify....the Tatonic parkway is the one that has restrictions on trucks/trailers. It is a beautiful twisty road, pretty wooded too. If you continue on I84 Hartford is sometimes a pain depending on when you hit it but you can pick up I91 north to the Mass Pike (I90). I am not sure where Woods Hole is but this will at least give you a few more options than that damn I95 Garden State Parkway corridor that I always dreaded. I can't imagine how much worse it is now-a-days with all the increased traffic. Best of luck on your ride. I am looking forward to some in my future.

George
Titusville, FL
p3chief is offline   Reply With Quote