User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Oddometer: 314
The official XT225 thread!

OK so I have done the searches and though there has been a good deal of XT225 info passed about (though usualy just a link to www.xt225.com ) I think it is time for a single thread to coalate all that has been and yet to be learned about this awsome little bike. I also own a DR650 and my decision to purchase that bike and not a XR or KLR was largely fueled by the simplicity of browsing through the wealth of data in the DR650 thread. I believe I am not the only one either.

I believe that the XT might just be one of the other relatively under-appreciated thumpers out there and a single thread where interested parties can come to research would be awsome and hopefully generate more interest in this great little bike so that hopefully in the long run we might all reap some benefit from it (namely a better aftermarket and possibly Japan realizing that the rear disk braked xt250 would be highly appreciated).

wickerman777 screwed with this post 11-04-2006 at 03:33 PM
wickerman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
mitchxout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
I asked the very same question to an ex Honda rep today.

Honda has to be convinced they can sell 10k of a model before they'll offer them here.
mitchxout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

So I will start by mentioning that my verticaly challenged girlfriend just recently purchased a 05 XT only partialy at my nudging and I have begun the adventure of tuning this little bike to get as much performance out of it as I possibly can. The XT225 site is great but this is where I hang out and hopefully we can expand the bikes influence in the dual sport market.

It is obviously a bargain bike and some of the stock parts scream this as the handlebars, grips, levers, footpegs, spokes, rims, tires, jetting, exhaust, controls, and how it's all put together from the factory is shite!

So my girl had a minor get off on it her first day and bent the handlebars and tweaked the triples. She was not hurt except for a mildly bruised knee and ego yet this was fortunate for the bike as it required me to begin my mods. I had to find alot of fixes myself as though there is some good info it is still slim pickins out there.

Here is what I've done so far:

Handlebars replaced with Pro Taper 7/8" black CR high bars. Very nice.

Levers replaced with MSR dominator YZ levers. Perfect fit and fit nicely behind the new Acerbis black brushguards. Used very slim rubberized washers for the levers to create a better fit and smoother action. Also drilled out the return spring hole in the MSR brake lever as it was to small for the stock spring.

Did some minor rerouting of the front control wires and general harness for future ease of disassembly.

Fitted a set of KTM folding mirrors. The left is regular thread and the right reverse but KTM makes a handy little bracket that replaces the rightside master cyl bar clamp with one that accepts a regualarly threaded mirror. Awsome mirrors. Gonna put them on my DR too.

Replaced the majority of bolts with stainless steel allen heads.

wickerman777 screwed with this post 11-04-2006 at 03:37 PM
Old 11-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

I have to split this up because it keeps timing me out

Woking on the jetting right now. Have got a 140 main, holes drilled in baffle, slightly disected snorkel and will be adding at least a 42.5 pilot jet, punch some holes in the airbox cover, after market filter and whatever else I can come up with. End result will probably be a aftermarket pipe, larger carb and aggressive jetting. Probably get a 1 tooth up countershaft sprocket as well.

Tried to mount some old XR600R pegs to it as they have a similar setup and it worked, kinda... but I just said fuck it ordered the ebay ones.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Shite!!!

Anyway bike runs great right now though future jetting will surely smooth out the top end power. Future mods will include Excel rims and spokes. Round off the spoke holes in the hubs as one of the reasons they have issues is the sharp edge and soft metal of the hubs. Honing them dull and installing beefier spokes should solve most of the problem and routine adjustment will stave off the effects of loose spokes rounding the holes larger.

I've gotten to put a fair amount of mileage on this bike while fixing and testing it. Hot damn this thing is fun and I must say I'm slightly jealous of my girl. I might have to get one myself. I've done alot to this bike yet I can tell that I have barely tapped it's true potential.

Keep tuned as ther will be plenty more info to come.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #6
Fra Diavolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Good idea for a thread! Especially since my registration at XT225 seems stalled . . .

Got a new '06 on Tuesday. I'll be installing the Stewart "ebay" pegs today.
Fra Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

And here she is. Last night I finaly drilled out the rest of the baffle. Wow! what a difference. The oversized main jet I installed was causing it to bog slightly at near full open throttle. Now it pulls along nicely at all but wide full open with just the slightest bogging. It now has the freedom to push as much air as needed but the airbox is still quite restrictive. Going to be installing the aftermarket filter and airbox filter plugs. That should give it as much air as it needs.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
Fra Diavolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Installed the pegs. Very simple procedure -- you just have to watch the position of the spring. There's a thread with picures over at the XT225 site.
Fra Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
Buzzez
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,460
I bought one for my GF. I ride it more than she does though.

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
deej
Deej (Deric)

Oddometer: 504
06 Xt225

Greetings all, I have been over on the xt225 site looking for part numbers for jetting my wife's new 2006 Xt225 and finally on my own site of www.kawasakiforums.com I got an answer. But I will be back here to see what goodies you all come up with for getting this bike to be an even better machine. Laters.
deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #11
puddlejumper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I'll be all . I have an '04 GS500F but have been considering the XT for commuter purposes. Also looking at the KLR. The GS is a nice bike but the ergos are not real comfortable for me.(my knees don't like to bend like they did 20 years ago.
My commute is 16 miles one way, 10 of it on the freeway. Posted speed of 65MPH. Actual speed of most vehicles is 70. I will be waiting to see if I get any answers to the capability of this bike to do what I need.
Be Safe.
2004 Suzuki GS500F (now)
???? ?? Thumper (soon)
puddlejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #12
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlejumper
I'll be all . I have an '04 GS500F but have been considering the XT for commuter purposes. Also looking at the KLR. The GS is a nice bike but the ergos are not real comfortable for me.(my knees don't like to bend like they did 20 years ago.
My commute is 16 miles one way, 10 of it on the freeway. Posted speed of 65MPH. Actual speed of most vehicles is 70. I will be waiting to see if I get any answers to the capability of this bike to do what I need.
Be Safe.
Well after drilling out the rest of the baffle the comfortable top speed went from around 55-60 mph to around 60-65 mph though I did get it up to 75-80 (Not something I would want to do for extended periods though). It still needs to breathe a bit more though as it is still bogging at full throttle a bit. The air filter and filter plugs will take care of that though.

It is also nice to know that both big gun and yosh make full system pipes for the ttr225 which will fit this bike if I ever decide to go that route. With a full system I could probably get away with a small bore flatslide as well
Old 11-06-2006, 06:30 PM   #13
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzez
I bought one for my GF. I ride it more than she does though.

Why is that? cause she's not into it or cause she dosn't get a chance to ride it cause you're hoggin it all the time

I have to be real careful. I turned down a temptation to take it to the local OHV park today. I have to remember. It's her bike, she paid for it. But I wanna ride it something fierce. It's so much fun. I'm half tempted to get myself an old beater xt
Old 11-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #14
Buzzez
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman777
Why is that? cause she's not into it or cause she dosn't get a chance to ride it cause you're hoggin it all the time

I have to be real careful. I turned down a temptation to take it to the local OHV park today. I have to remember. It's her bike, she paid for it. But I wanna ride it something fierce. It's so much fun. I'm half tempted to get myself an old beater xt

I bought it so I have to take it to get tires and service, ride it around the block to keep the battery charged and things of that nature. That and she's been too busy to ride it lately. I haven't done any off road riding with it...yet.

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #15
HIgh Water
Waisting Time

Oddometer: 344
That figures, just when I put mine up for sale they become popular
'06 KTM 525 EXC Baja 2008 Race Bike
'06 KTM 450 EXC
HIgh Water is offline   Reply With Quote