Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
The Snowbike Thread

***All comments and reviews are meant for Midwest riders***

I've been drooling over Snowbike kits for about 3 years now. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan which I would consider small Mountain-ish in regards to hills and snow in some areas.

I just bought a 2moto and ride with and have ridden the Timbersled. Both are extremely well built machines. The 2moto handles exactly like a dirtbike floating in snow. It is ridiculous fun. I loved offtrail snowmobiling and this is even better. I really can't explain how fun it is. I would not get hung up on which brand is best but which brand is best for where you live and where you ride. If you live in the mountains don't think twice and get a Timbersled. If you live in the majority of the midwest get a 2moto. If you live where I live you will probably have a tougher decision to make. If you're in the midwest do not base your decision on all the guys on the Snowest forum that say 2motos suck and are becoming irrelevant. You may have a much better experience on the 2moto if your not always riding in 1.5 feet or more of powder.

I'll be spending the rest of the winter riding both. I'll do my best to give a very accurate comparison. Bottom line though is that snowbike kits are legit and if you have the means figure out which one is best for you and get one.

Yooper-at-heart screwed with this post 03-19-2015 at 07:14 AM
Yooper-at-heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Before I start to review for the Timbersled and 2moto for Midwest conditions does anyone else care?
Old 02-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
I don't live where there is snow and I have no desire to own a snow bike but I'd enjoy seeing some pics and knowing a bit about them.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
zigman
Working for the man

Oddometer: 160
Yooper, I am interested in learning more. I have always been fascinated with snowbikes, but didn't know anybody with first hand knowledge. Lots of great reports and pictures from people riding in the mountains, but they don't seem to be very popular in the mid-west. I have a CR-500 that would probably be a good candidate for a conversion. I would love to hear about your comparisons between the brands.
zigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
So if you have deep powder the Timbersled and packed the 2moto?
Are they model/brand specific?
How big a motor do you need?
I have a KLX650R that isn't being used...buddy is always trying to get me to get a sled...had one, didn't like it...but this looks like fun.

Please continue.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
By all means, continue. I live in SoCal, but have always been intrigued when I saw pictures of these things. Would love to learn more about them. Especially somebody that isn't selling a particular brand/model.
Would be interesting to see how one of those would do in the dunes. The sand would probably tear everyting up, but until it does it might be a lot of fun.
Kai Ju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #7
Hurricane Bob
formerly: Bomber1965

Oddometer: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper-at-heart View Post
Before I start to review for the Timbersled and 2moto for Midwest conditions does anyone else care?
Hurricane Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
PlowHand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Is it as fun as it looks?
PlowHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:14 AM   #9
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,815
Nope....not interested at all.....I just want all of this darn snow to melt!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #10
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,289

There is a third bike/track mfger out there. I might have seen it in a thread in shiny things.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #11
zxrider11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I got invited on a Timbersled Adventure ride for the weekend of Feb 28th.

We are renting snowbikes from http://www.whichwayadventures.com/ out of Petoskey, MI.

It looks we get to choose from a few different bikes KTM450, KX450f, CRF450.

Pics and review coming soon!
zxrider11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
Vincenthdfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
I live in the Pacific Northwest and have ridden the 2 Moto kit during a demo ride weekend.

I liked how well it did off rode but found it very unnerving on the groomed roads getting to the off trail areas.

Couldn't lean like a traditional bike, very tall...just weird feeling.

Im sure a lot of that comes from having ridden dirt bikes my whole life and this kit changes the feel pretty radically.

The Timbersled kit has just exploded in popularity in the last few years since the 2 Moto days.

So yes, I'm very curious how they handle in comparison and would love to hear your feedback on it.
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Good...there is interest. There should be, these things are ridiculously fun. I think the price tag has been the barrier from popularity, it's worth it. So once again this is a Midwest review, mountain guys do and should like the timbersled more. I don't have any video yet because I've just been riding it and having fun. I did buy the 2Moto but I think both are great. I'll try to get some decent video but I can definitely get good pics of ideal snow conditions and depths and what the 2Moto can handle. Just assume the TS can handle a lot of snow.

I'll concentrate on the obvious differences between the 2 since they were side by side on my trailer today. It is pretty obvious by the pics why the Timber sled is much better in the really deep stuff. DO NOT write off the 2Moto based on mountain reviews!!!! The 2Moto can handle plenty off snow and is most fun in powder just like the TS. I think a pretty good way to look at it is if you need a Mountain sled where you are going to ride you want a TS. If it's powder you can tear up with a regular short track sled with no problems than a 2M is going to be a lot more fun.

If you like trail riding with a sled, DO NOT get a snowbike. It's like dualsporting a dirtbike, the trail is just the road to get you where you really want to go. It will do it but it is not why you want a snowbike.

2Moto- Absolutely feels like a dirtbike. Enough said. Will with out question be the most fun of the 2 until it hits it's snow limit. Not just regular fun, stupid ridiculous there is nothing else in the world I'd like to do besides this fun. This is where I need some pics and videos to show that it will blast through plenty of powder but there is a limit. I live in Marquette, MI and there is a lot of snow just NW of here where I have been riding. It was about 4 feet deep to the ground when I trenched it a few times, so I have been testing it in lots of snow. In just a few rides I was learning when not to stop, when to hit it, when to turn and side hill instead of just dig in up a deep hill, etc. When it got really deep and slow in the woods I was able to poach the timbersled track and keep moving pretty well. If I was with a bunch of sleds in the deep in the woods I bet I could just follow and not have too much trouble. This whole snow limit topic is likely irrelevant for much of the midwest.

Timbersled- Much more like a sled, pretty obvious why in the pics. Not as light bike light feeling and somewhat tank like until snow is deep. Not fun on packed snow. Starts to shine compared to the 2moto in 1-2 feet of snow. Really deep mountain sled worthy snow....forget it...no comparison. Your bike is a full on mountain sled but way better...because it's still a bike of course! Seriously this thing is a deep snow eating monster. Once again you've reached the whole stupid ridiculous.... fun thing.

These are both performing pretty much exactly as I expected based on all the reviews and 32,159 hours of Youtube videos I've watched the last couple of years.

I decided on the 2moto based on the idea that I will get more fun out of it from first snow through last snow than the TS. I knew there would be some peak snow times where I'd have to ride selectively. Like I said, both are great. I feel strongly enough about the 2Moto that I would not trade it for the TS for where I live. I also feel really strongly that I will be shopping for a used MX Bike to mount a Timbersled to and keep both. This will likely be followed by a divorce but at least I'll be happy from first to last snow, which seems like most of the year up here anyways!

I'll do my best to continue with the review and get pics and video for the rest of the winter.

Yooper-at-heart screwed with this post 03-19-2015 at 07:20 AM
Old 02-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #14
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Cost

Forgot about cost. Mainly because who cares, if this was about rationalizing none of us would have bikes and this forum would be called Scooter Rider. Anyways, 2Moto is probably about $1,500 less. I'm comparing new to new. I didn't decide based on that but it didn't hurt.

There is a brand that looks like it will be available soon called Yeti. Similar to the Timbersled but lots of carbon and Titanium and supposedly much lighter. It will cost even more so I prefer to pretend that it does not exist.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #15
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,815
So...who does the Timbersled belong to?