User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
Zevulun OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R Locked ECU? HELP!

I'm wanting to put an exhaust system on my 690 however KTM is telling my dealer that all the 690's after 2012 have locked ECU's and there is no way around them to tune the bike. Also all of the aftermarket companies have stopped manufacturing systems for the 690 post 2012, reason according to KTM is that because there is no race class for the 690 the Feds placed restrictions on the bike, calling it a green bike in all states. I purchased a brand new KTM powerparts race pipe that I was told would work, this was before anyone knew about the locked ECU. The dealer will gladly take the pipe back without issue, but we are trying to find a way to make it work if possible. Even Powercommander and the other companies that make tuners stop listing the 690 after 2012. KTM outright said today there is no tune possible for the bike, and if we put the new pipe on the bike it won't run well and it will run hot. Any help or advice is greatly.
Zevulun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,621
Find a new dealer.

Although it's true that TuneECU does not work any longer on the new bikes, but dealers can still put map on it via their own system (Not sure what system that is, haven't done it, but know of others that have). I believe they use the EVO2 map, but you'll have to read up on that.

On my 2014, I'm running a Wings exhaust, with the stock map and it works just fine.

You haven't filled out your profile so have no idea where you are. That info might help.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Zevulun,

1. Get your refund on the pipe and return home with your bike.
2. Order a Wings exhaust for $425 to your door (assuming you're in the US).
3. Pull off the old, 11 lb exhaust with built-in, nuclear-reactor-like-heat-inducing catalytic converter.
4. Install 5.5 lb Wings exhaust.
5. Put box fan in front of radiator on Hi.
6. Start bike and let it run 15 minutes without touching anything (no throttle).
7. Go eat one dozen chocolate-chip cookies and guzzle three beers of choice (you and your bike will still be lighter than stock).
8. At 15:01, rev up your 690 and enjoy the new snarl!!

It's that easy. I did it, and I'm a caveman.
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #4
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevulun View Post
I'm wanting to put an exhaust system on my 690 however KTM is telling my dealer that all the 690's after 2012 have locked ECU's and there is no way around them to tune the bike. Also all of the aftermarket companies have stopped manufacturing systems for the 690 post 2012, reason according to KTM is that because there is no race class for the 690 the Feds placed restrictions on the bike, calling it a green bike in all states. I purchased a brand new KTM powerparts race pipe that I was told would work, this was before anyone knew about the locked ECU. The dealer will gladly take the pipe back without issue, but we are trying to find a way to make it work if possible. Even Powercommander and the other companies that make tuners stop listing the 690 after 2012. KTM outright said today there is no tune possible for the bike, and if we put the new pipe on the bike it won't run well and it will run hot. Any help or advice is greatly.
Dealers can load the Akro map on 14+ bikes as many have had done. They are already lean from the factory, even with oem can they would still benefit from being richer.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #5
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevulun View Post
That's the official line. I got same story from local NorCal KTM dealers over the phone. It's the only legal thing they can say. Right? The 690 is more of a street bike than dirt. No one is going to make it a dirt only race bike. FMF won't ship 690 exhausts to CA either... tread for the future...

As others have posted the bike apparently can be remapped they have to get an unlock code from KTM, hear they claim "safety issue" with the bike stalling is one way to get it done.... if you are in with the dealer and the bike will run fine with a slip-on with no remap. I have no first hand knowledge of either... After getting "we won't help you" from the dealers I bought a 2011 and remapped it myself to avoid relying on any dealer.

DrKayak screwed with this post 05-06-2015 at 06:35 PM
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
Zevulun OP
n00b

Question Curious...

Has anyone put a pipe other than a Wings brand on a post 2012 690 without remapping, the 2015's have the adjustable engine characteristic mapping, does that make a difference? I'm in Florida by the way.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
Backlash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Pipe

I have a 2014 KTM 690R with Akro Pipe and Akro silencer along with a foam air filter. Runs well with plenty of ponies. The FMF is too loud and I wasn't sure how the other brands would fit. I ordered the 2013 mounting hardware to fit the Akro silencer. I have about 6000 miles on it.
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:41 AM   #8
Zevulun OP
n00b

Pipe

Backlash, you didn't do anything with remapping the ECU?
Old 05-07-2015, 03:43 AM   #9
Zevulun OP
n00b

Wink Read this

My thoughts too, or at least dig around and see what's been accomplished with TuneECU.

Me, I'd try two things:
Nothing. Pipe that hoo-wah. It's an o2 feedback setup, right? The only fixed map should be way up there in the balls of the rev range, so the majority of the time it's self-adapting. Less exhaust pressure should not cause too much shift.
If the pipe does create some lean symptoms, adapt a FatDuc Emulator to the oxygen sensor. With three different settings to suit your butt's preferences, it lowers the o2 sensor output bias to the ECU and tricks it into trimming more injector flow to correct for perceived lean fueling. It has worked wonders on many feedback apps that are programmed too lean from the factory for emissions compliance, even BMW's notoriously hack-proof ECMs.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #10
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Tune ecu can't communicate with the twin spark motors of 14+. Only current option is dealer loaded Akro map, as is discussed in another thread of that gen.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,890
Shoot I didn't even bother to run the 15 minute idle after installing the WINGS on my 2 mile 2015 and it ran perfect.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,494
A,or slip on?

I just happen to have an Akro slip on left over from my Basel build that is available if anyone is interested, PM me..

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonMotorSports.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
SMCYA
n00b

Oddometer: 2
what about doing the evo2 filter mod with exhaust? would a new map be required for this on a 2015?
SMCYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #14
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYA View Post
what about doing the evo2 filter mod with exhaust? would a new map be required for this on a 2015?
YES. You can put on a reasonable pipe, but messing with the air box will need a different map.