User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #151
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Hey Derek,

when you get a breather in the discussion let us know where to get rebuild kits for the BST40 please. Maybe it's been posted, but right now it's the most useful question I can drum up.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #152
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Hey Derek,

when you get a breather in the discussion let us know where to get rebuild kits for the BST40 please. Maybe it's been posted, but right now it's the most useful question I can drum up.
Don't get them from Suzuki that's for sure...

You'd think you'd ordered a complete carb at the price.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #153
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Hey Derek,

I don't know of one, but can put some together. Anybody got a spare carb I can borrow for a couple of days?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #154
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab
I don't know of one, but can put some together. Anybody got a spare carb I can borrow for a couple of days?

Regards,

Derek
There's usually one floating around - if no one pipes up we can post the request in the "sign in" thread and such to get more attention.

I was expecting Sudco to have something, but they have nothing for the Mikuni BST series - is it some kind of an OEM deal with KTM and Suzuki?
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #155
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
Ive got one.. wanna ride near yosemite??
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #156
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There's usually one floating around - if no one pipes up we can post the request in the "sign in" thread and such to get more attention.
Cool.
Quote:
I was expecting Sudco to have something, but they have nothing for the Mikuni BST series - is it some kind of an OEM deal with KTM and Suzuki?
I don't think it's Sudco's fault per se. All of the genuine Mikuni items that Sudco has and that are applicable to OEM also happen to fit Mikuni aftermarket carbs. It seems that Mikuni themselves are hesitant, for whatever reason, to sell any of the OEM specific items.

Regards,

Derek
Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #157
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
Ive got one.
I'll PM you.

Regards,

Derek
Old 09-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #158
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
Don't get them from Suzuki that's for sure...

You'd think you'd ordered a complete carb at the price.
I went to the local Suzuki shop to price up the diaphragm, slide & slide guide, cos everybody knows that those exotic highly strung euro bikes have parts that are way expensive & impossible to get, but the good ol jap gear has parts that are always cheap & readily available right?

Suzuki did not sell the slide guide separately. The other bits were only available ex-Japan & were priced slightly higher than the same parts from KTM which were ex-Austria. An Auckland bike shop which imports Mikuni carbs & parts came out with slightly higher prices again, also ex Japan & were pretty vague about how long they might take to get here.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #159
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab
I'll PM you.

Regards,

Derek
I have an extra on the shelf as well. Lemme know if swing by SE Michigan is any easier for you.

Seriously, PM me if you need to borrow it. Small and easy to ship if need be.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #160
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
I thought this was 205.. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209040

I went the Oem way when everything wore out at about 30K.. New slide and holder , steinhouse screw..etc etc.. Its a good carb. Works great in big altitude changes... Now I think I have to put the side cover back on.. and remove the snorkel . I did the Vegas to reno race 2weeks ago and even with a crude pre filter the filter turned to adobe brick at about 100mi.. anyways Im gettin the backup to motolab (dont think the needle is in (go thru those like butter)..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #161
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
Dude said that he needed at least 50 commitments to proceed. I won't need that, and I will additionally be stocking the slide guides.

Regards,

Derek
Old 09-15-2009, 05:01 AM   #162
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Yes. All BST series' are OEM-only carbs. Mikuni will not sell the parts for those carbs to third parties, presumably to allow the OEMers to recoup some development costs through inflated parts prices. Common bits like jets of course can be picked up anywhere.

So if you have a Hinckley Triumph, Suzi GSXR or DR you're < deleted > Neither Triumph nor Suzuki even list the throttle valve guide as a separate part - go check bikebandit or similar, it's quietly absent from the parts diagrams & listings, as already suggested. Only KTM sell that part the other two expect you to buy a whole new carb (every 4500miles according to motolab!! )

However; I have tracked down someone who managed to get hold of these bits for Hinckley Triumphs (BST36) so if you need some, send me a PM and I'll pass on their details. Note that Mikuni has already invited them to discontinue listing the part on their web site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #163
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf
So if you have a Hinckley Triumph, Suzi GSXR or DR you're < deleted > Neither Triumph nor Suzuki even list the throttle valve guide as a separate part - go check bikebandit or similar, it's quietly absent from theparts diagrams & listings, as already suggested.
This applies to BST28 (Yamaha XJ600 Seca II/Diversion), BST33 (Aprilia Pegaso, BMW F650, Suzuki GS500E, Katana 600, DR350/750/800), BST38 (Cagiva Elefant 750/900, Ducati 600/750/900, Suzuki GSX-R750, Yamaha XTZ750, YZF750R, TDM850, TRX850 & FZR1000) and BST40 (Aprilia Moto 6.5, KTM 640 LC4, Suzuki DR650 & GSX-R1100. The applications list for BST36 can be seen at the bottom of www.moto-lab.com/gallery/view?itemid=262, www.moto-lab.com/gallery/view?itemid=263, or www.moto-lab.com/gallery/view?itemid=264.

Quote:
However; I have tracked down someone who managed to get hold of these bits for Hinckley Triumphs (BST36) so if you need some, send me a PM and I'll pass on their details. Note that Mikuni has already invited them to discontinue listing the part on their web site.
I have them in stock.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 09:06 AM
Old 09-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #164
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
The City I live in is at 3500 Feet, and where I ride most often goes up to 6000 Feet.

For those of you who also live at altitude (Like Denver CO or Salt Lake City UT) Can anyone advise me on whether or not I need a JD Jet kit, or if the stock needle will suffice with adjustments and a Jet ?

I am about to pull the carb out and adjust it, but want to have parts ready...

HELP ! My KTM asks for your experience !

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #165
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911
The City I live in is at 3500 Feet, and where I ride most often goes up to 6000 Feet.

For those of you who also live at altitude (Like Denver CO or Salt Lake City UT) Can anyone advise me on whether or not I need a JC Jet kit, or if the stock needle will suffice with adjustments and a Jet ?

I am about to pull the carb out and adjust it, but want to have parts ready...

HELP ! My KTM asks for your experience !
the stock needle will work fine. i used to ride from 5,00-12,000 ft with it. you notice some issues at the top, but thats just due to lack of O2.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote