ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #46
trent
rambler
 
trent's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: THC
Oddometer: 352
Thanks for your awesome, very informative post Laramie. You've schooled a new 640e owner with bogging issues. I look forward to getting them sorted with your imparted knowledge.

trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #47
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!
 
laramie LC4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent
Thanks for your awesome, very informative post Laramie. You've schooled a new 640e owner with bogging issues. I look forward to getting them sorted with your imparted knowledge.




laramie
__________________
DON'T TRUST CUT 7! HE IS A CROOK! ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #48
tedmarshall
Studly Adventurer
 
tedmarshall's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Wilmette, Illinois
Oddometer: 501
Yet more thanks to Laramie...

From Ted Marshall. I rebuilt the BST on my 2002 LC4 640e. It sat for a few weeks. But today I got it back together. Fresh high-test and it fired right up. Ran great. This is only the 2d time I've re-built a bike carb (1998 Buell S3T was gh 1st). A minor victory for me thanks to you!

Ted
Wilmette, IL.
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #49
waserman
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Oddometer: 30
airbox cover for LC4 640

Hello all I'm new to this forum,as I am to my 2000 Lc4 640e.I just bought this bike last week and am presently sorting out jetting and general bike set up issues.I live in the North East USA and have been riding/racing forever.The bike started out life in Oregon,moved to Wisconsin and finally to the East coast in Pa.The guy I bought it from never wrenched on it,always took it to the dealers,mileage 2300,condition exceptional,pretty much stock,if not all.The question I have is the KTM part #58406003200 airbox cover does it come with a new gasket to go between the airbox and new cover,or do I need to buy another #58406090100 gasket for the filter box cover,and cut trim to fit the new part?I'll be back later I'm off to do some plug readings after some runs to see if I"m getting close,also the snorkel was removed prior to me getting the bike.I just put a 150 main in,it was so lean the plug should have been blistered. I have to say that this is one of the best information forumns I have been on to date.Thanks in advance Waserman
waserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #50
ChrisC
Molon Labe
 
ChrisC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Prescott, Arizona USA Earth
Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by waserman
Hello all I'm new to this forum,as I am to my 2000 Lc4 640e.I just bought this bike last week and am presently sorting out jetting and general bike set up issues.I live in the North East USA and have been riding/racing forever.The bike started out life in Oregon,moved to Wisconsin and finally to the East coast in Pa.The guy I bought it from never wrenched on it,always took it to the dealers,mileage 2300,condition exceptional,pretty much stock,if not all.The question I have is the KTM part #58406003200 airbox cover does it come with a new gasket to go between the airbox and new cover,or do I need to buy another #58406090100 gasket for the filter box cover,and cut trim to fit the new part?I'll be back later I'm off to do some plug readings after some runs to see if I"m getting close,also the snorkel was removed prior to me getting the bike.I just put a 150 main in,it was so lean the plug should have been blistered. I have to say that this is one of the best information forumns I have been on to date.Thanks in advance Waserman
Take off the left side cover. Pull the plastic/foam liner out and toss it over your left shoulder. Install the stainless/screen "racing side cover" where the plastic/foam part was. Reinstall the sidecover. No gaskets needed...
__________________
Chris
'03 KTM Adventure 640
'43 BSA M20WD
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #51
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Take off the left side cover. Pull the plastic/foam liner out and toss it over your left shoulder. Install the stainless/screen "racing side cover" where the plastic/foam part was. Reinstall the sidecover. No gaskets needed...
And remember thats "left shoulder".

Don't get it wrong or we'll have to hurt you.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #52
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!
 
laramie LC4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 2,323
replace item #4 and #14 (#4 is the foam stuck to #14) and replace them with the new racing airbox cover.



laters,

laramie
__________________
DON'T TRUST CUT 7! HE IS A CROOK! ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #53
waserman
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Oddometer: 30
thanks for the info guys,I'm still sorting out the jetting before I do that mod.I'm already up to 157.5 and still seem on the lean side although throttle response is a lot better.I just shimed the needle because I was out of clip adjustment,radio shack has a washer kit that I've used before that has just the right size washer for shimming cv needles.I already tore the carb apart and cleaned everything and set the float height,as per the post.Great information I didn't drill my slide out to .125 I went to .110,I have to wonder if this stinking gas we have out here at least 10% ethanol isn't part of the jetting issue,plus I believe we also oxygenate our fuel here too.I' started at 142.5 and I'm getting ready to buy into the 160s now,we'll see how this 157.5 goes.I'll let you know.
waserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #54
trent
rambler
 
trent's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: THC
Oddometer: 352
thanks again. I got my bogging solved so far. I did the mods, set float, pilot jet, and main jet. Then I modded my second airbox cover. Went on a little test street run with a couple of minutes offroad with a 8 foot steep climb. So far so good.
__________________
"I'm gonna need to have you carry some of the imagination burden with you"
trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #55
ChrisC
Molon Labe
 
ChrisC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Prescott, Arizona USA Earth
Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4
replace item #4 and #14 (#4 is the foam stuck to #14) and replace them with the new racing airbox cover.
Isn't that what I said?
__________________
Chris
'03 KTM Adventure 640
'43 BSA M20WD
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #56
stephano
Beastly Adventurer
 
stephano's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Economically trapped in Northern CA
Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by waserman
thanks for the info guys,I'm still sorting out the jetting before I do that mod.I'm already up to 157.5 and still seem on the lean side although throttle response is a lot better.I just shimed the needle because I was out of clip adjustment,radio shack has a washer kit that I've used before that has just the right size washer for shimming cv needles.I already tore the carb apart and cleaned everything and set the float height,as per the post.Great information I didn't drill my slide out to .125 I went to .110,I have to wonder if this stinking gas we have out here at least 10% ethanol isn't part of the jetting issue,plus I believe we also oxygenate our fuel here too.I' started at 142.5 and I'm getting ready to buy into the 160s now,we'll see how this 157.5 goes.I'll let you know.
I just recently did exactly what your doing with the same bike. I live at about 500' and found the 155 main, 47.5 idle jet, stock air jet, needle clip 4th from the top, slide drilled to .125, air/fuel screw 2 turns out, no snorkel, KTM side air box cover.....runs awesome.

All bikes are different but this worked for me. When you look for other jetting info, just make sure you note the bikes year. The high flow heads run richer.
__________________
2000 KTM LC4 640E

A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take away everything you have.
Your Government cannot give you something without taking something away from someone else.

I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul. - Tobymac.
stephano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:02 AM   #57
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!
 
laramie LC4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Isn't that what I said?
yes, but some people need the picture......



laters,

laramie
__________________
DON'T TRUST CUT 7! HE IS A CROOK! ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #58
pitbull doug
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Oddometer: 214
Laramie props on the BST bible thread,excellent! Nice you took the time and beer of course to start this thread,great detail as well.Just been lurking on ADV rider lately and came accross the thread,anytime your down in So Cal desert area, man I owe you a beer or two thanks again PBD
__________________
06 Ktm 640 adv SOLD
04 Montesa Cota 315
07 Ktm 200 excw
13 ktm 500 exc
01 Honda cr500
pitbull doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #59
Kemosabe
Perpetual Adverturer
 
Kemosabe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Gods Country OR
Oddometer: 124
If you are trying to open up your 640. And you still have the stock exhaust.
The Supertrapp exhaust is tunable. My only had 6 disks in it. I added ten more. Though I bet even adding 6 discs will make a huge difference.

Kemosabe screwed with this post 05-14-2009 at 10:44 PM
Kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #60
stephano
Beastly Adventurer
 
stephano's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Economically trapped in Northern CA
Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe
If you are trying to open up your 640. And you still have the stock exhaust.
The Supertrapp exhaust is tunable. My only had 6 disks in it. I added ten more. Though I bet even added 6 discs will make a huge difference.
Even though its "tuneable"...I understand that the amount of restriction before the disc's is not far from the the stock number of disc's, so adding a whole bunch wont do anything.
__________________
2000 KTM LC4 640E

A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take away everything you have.
Your Government cannot give you something without taking something away from someone else.

I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul. - Tobymac.
stephano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014