Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #1216
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Do you have a Suzuki part number for the slide guide o-ring for 2006 DR650?
It's 13278-47090.
Quote:
I don't see it in the online fiche diagrams.
It's not there.
Quote:
Also, if the CA emissions canister is removed, then the tube on the bottom of the carb should be capped, correct?
The drain/overflow at the bottom of the bowl should be left open (you can leave a length of hose attached to it). The other barb should be capped.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #1217
Auspuff
n00b

Oddometer: 5
BST40SS - Pilot Air Screw, Thread Size

Gents,

I've run into the problem of trying to remove a stuck Pilot Air Screw which the previous owner has virtually destroyed.

A local Toolmaker can mill out the offending brass screw but needs to know what the specification of the screw thread is so that he can dress up the thread with the correct tap.

Any clues please?
Auspuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #1218
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspuff View Post
Gents,

I've run into the problem of trying to remove a stuck Pilot Air Screw which the previous owner has virtually destroyed.

A local Toolmaker can mill out the offending brass screw but needs to know what the specification of the screw thread is so that he can dress up the thread with the correct tap.

Any clues please?
BST40 carbs do not have air screws.

Regards,

Derek
Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #1219
wah64apache
Older Than Dirt

Oddometer: 64
FCR39 swap for the BST-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post

Regards,

Derek
Hi Derek;
Do you know if there is a thread for the procedure and mods required to swap in a FCR39 for the BST-40? I just bought a 07 640 Adventure and modded the air box, added a hi-flo filter and an FMF Q4 exhaust. Cleaned the carb, did the mods and installed six sigma jet kit. Still not satisfied with the performance. It's good but I know it can be better with a pumper.
Thanks, cheers, Frank
wah64apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #1220
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
It's 13278-47090.It's not there.The drain/overflow at the bottom of the bowl should be left open (you can leave a length of hose attached to it). The other barb should be capped.

Regards,

Derek
Thank you.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #1221
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Frank,

Here's a few threads on installing a FCR39 carb http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=fcr39 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=fcr39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wah64apache View Post
Hi Derek;
Do you know if there is a thread for the procedure and mods required to swap in a FCR39 for the BST-40? I just bought a 07 640 Adventure and modded the air box, added a hi-flo filter and an FMF Q4 exhaust. Cleaned the carb, did the mods and installed six sigma jet kit. Still not satisfied with the performance. It's good but I know it can be better with a pumper.
Thanks, cheers, Frank
Old 02-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #1222
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Derek;
Thanks, cheers, Frank
I see that the Q4 system is a slip on. The NOX content of the exhaust gas sample recorded during dyno testing I have done reveals that the high flow head models are still right on the edge in terms of risk of detonation when jetted correctly with the snorkel removed and a high quality slip on and race airbox lid installed. I would therefore hesitate to do anything to increase cylinder filling without further increasing exhaust flow, increasing octane, retarding the ignition timing, and/or reducing the compression (more or less in order of most to least desirable).

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 03:40 PM
Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #1223
wah64apache
Older Than Dirt

BST-40 conversion to FCR39

Thanks Derek and Hipster;
I'll look for a bigger head pipe, somebody must make them. If not, there are a few NASCAR shops out in the West Phoenix Valley that can do just about anything for a few $$ (I have an AL radiator masquerading as a 1940 Buick Harrison Radiator...NASCAR ). Since I will ride this as a dualsport it has to live on station hi test. In Mexico I will disconnect the wire or take my XChallenge. I have a bud who can do wonders with a lathe and milling Machine. If exhaust can't solve it then a .5 lowering of compression should work. We'll check squish also. This engine has been around a long time, there must be adjustable cam sprockets and other specific performance items out there. This is my first go at a 640 motor but managed to get 63hp from the Rotax single.
Cheers and thanks guys. When I get it put back together I will send in some pics. It came out of WV and though not beaten up, it is muddy and nasty and bug infested. But it came with All the offroad farkles. There are only a couple more things I will add: steering damper under rubber mounted high bars and big foot pegs for my klod hoppers. Not much else it didn't come with. Frank
Old 02-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #1224
Auspuff
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Mikuni BST40 SS, Fuel/Air Screw, Thread Size

Quote:

Regards,

Derek
Derek - Thank you for the gentle correction (..."two nations separated by a common language"...); perhaps I should have used "Fuel/Air Screw" instead and not put out an international plea to Inmates so late at (a European) night - my apologies!

Notwithstanding; does anyone please have the correct metric thread specification for the BST40 SS Fuel/Air Screw so that I can locate the correct tap to dress up the threads?
Auspuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #1225
Tseta
Lost

Oddometer: 669
Auspuff: If I remember correctly, it should be M6x0.50, but you should probably wait for verification...

Cheers,

Tseta
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #1226
wah64apache
Older Than Dirt

Quote:
Gents,

Any clues please?
Hi Auspuff;
I have mine out right now and will take it to a friend who may have that small of a metric tap. PM me and I'll let you know what I find out. If you have your answer, let me know.
Where are you located?
Cheers, Frank
Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #1227
wah64apache
Older Than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseta View Post
Auspuff: If I remember correctly, it should be M6x0.50, but you should probably wait for verification...

Cheers,

Tseta
Auspuff, after reading Tseta's comment above I will check in my shop as I have, I think, some small M6 bolts out there. Cheers, Frank
Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #1228
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Derek - Thank you for the gentle correction (..."two nations separated by a common language"...); perhaps I should have used "Fuel/Air Screw" instead and not put out an international plea to Inmates so late at (a European) night - my apologies!
The most proper way to refer to the idle mixture screw (aka pilot screw) on a BST carb is as a fuel screw, as it does not adjust fuel and air simultaneously. There are things called air screws on carbs where you adjust the idle mixture by changing the quantity of air being bled into the pilot circuit. The reason this is important is that a fuel screw makes the idle mixture richer by screwing out and leaner by screwing in, whereas an air screw makes the idle mixture richer by screwing in, and leaner by screwing out. Fuel screws are usually on the downstream side of the slide, and air screws are usually on the upstream side (although I have seen occasional exceptions).
Quote:
Notwithstanding; does anyone please have the correct metric thread specification for the BST40 SS Fuel/Air Screw so that I can locate the correct tap to dress up the threads?
The fuel screw thread is M6X0.5.

Regards,

Derek
Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #1229
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
Derek, sent you a PM
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #1230
wah64apache
Older Than Dirt

Quote:
Auspuff, after reading Tseta's comment above I will check in my shop as I have, I think, some small M6 bolts out there. Cheers, Frank
Auspuff it is an M5 with an estimate of 15 threads per CM. I say estimate because there are only 5 threads on it .
Cheers, Frank