Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #1411
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseta View Post
The idea of replacing the plastic choke nut/screw/holder(/whatever) with a more durable version is not a new one and has been discussed also in this thread earlier, some two years ago (linky). It's good that ProCycle has come up with a commercial product to address this problem, although due to corrosion issues, brass might have been a better material choice.

Cheers,

Tseta
The hard anodizing prevents corrosion. It also prevents galling of the threads because it has minor lubrication properties, as well as the extra hardness. It is a long proven technology and works remarkably well.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #1412
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
The hard anodizing prevents corrosion.
The Procycle cold start enrichment plunger retainer does not appear to be hard anodized.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #1413
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,530
apply a bit of anti seize, done and done.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #1414
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
WOOF!

Hi Meaty.

I parked my '03 Adventure 3 years and 2 months ago (2010) when it ran out of rego, but had to move it recently, so I hooked up a jumpstart pack and presto!, it fired up and idled like a bought one on 3 year old fuel.

I love this bike eh. I've been riding my Honda XR600 mostly though, as it has a new top end and needs bugger-all work done to it.

How's yours these days?
Still chasin' my tail... but they pay me to do it so that's good.

My LC4 has a new tail:

been dreaming of one for years (over 5) but at $700+ I couldn't justify it. The US importer was liquidating old stock and had one left, for $350

The carb is in pieces currently - about to ask Derek if he'll be around this week to see if I can buy some rebuild parts.

Looking forward to trying it out! PS - you know you should drain the fuel - luckily you had drained the carb so there's no varnish in there eh?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #1415
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Finally got the bike put back together. Man, the new carb parts really woke the Adv up. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #1416
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrocks View Post
Finally got the bike put back together. Man, the new carb parts really woke the Adv up. Thanks for everyone's help!
Get yourself a fcr and then you will really thank us.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #1417
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
Get yourself a fcr and then you will really thank us.
I would not increase cylinder filling without first verifying that doing so will not cause (or exacerbate) a detonation problem.

Regards,

Derek
Old 07-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #1418
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,117
That is produced by warp 9 i believe.
I have one in black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrocks View Post
I recieved my "insert part name here" from Procycle. Fits perfectly and works as it should.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #1419
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Old 07-31-2013, 05:16 AM   #1420
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
That is produced by warp 9 i believe.
I have one in black.
Yep, the one I got was in Warp 9 packaging.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #1421
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
- about to ask Derek if he'll be around this week to see if I can buy some rebuild parts.
I'm around. I guess I should have said so sooner, considering that the week is almost over...

Regards,

Derek
Old 08-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #1422
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,191
Quote:
PS - you know you should drain the fuel - luckily you had drained the carb so there's no varnish in there eh?
Er, maybe we have better fuel over here........

I've gotten away with this on my XR600R too, years-old fuel and it still kickstarts. I might just drain the tank on my BMW GS though, I don't fancy gummed up fuel injection.

I like your new tailpipe there, it looks kinda stainless and Aussie. You got it for a good price too. The oval cans are louder than the round cans, and if you run them without the spark arrestor the oval ones are noticeably louder. Something to do with the shape and length of the soundwaves apparently.

I gottta look at my front forks, one of them seems to have restricted adjustment in the damping adjuster on the bottom of the forkleg, it doesn't turn anywhere near the number of clicks it should. I tried to zero the damping adjusters and it wouldn't do it, so a strip'n'fix is in order.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #1423
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Er, maybe we have better fuel over here........

I've gotten away with this on my XR600R too, years-old fuel and it still kickstarts. I might just drain the tank on my BMW GS though, I don't fancy gummed up fuel injection.

I like your new tailpipe there, it looks kinda stainless and Aussie. You got it for a good price too. The oval cans are louder than the round cans, and if you run them without the spark arrestor the oval ones are noticeably louder. Something to do with the shape and length of the soundwaves apparently.

I gottta look at my front forks, one of them seems to have restricted adjustment in the damping adjuster on the bottom of the forkleg, it doesn't turn anywhere near the number of clicks it should. I tried to zero the damping adjusters and it wouldn't do it, so a strip'n'fix is in order.
Entirely possible - you usually get what you pay for, and our fuel is pretty cheap.

The new can is a Staintune; I will run it with the dB eater - I don't think its a sparkie - correct me if I'm wrong. I was hoping this machinist fella was going to put together a sparkie for me.

Fork work is fun - just give yourself lots of time (you have the XR so you don't have to ride the LC4). This thread may help:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339544

Old 08-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #1424
meat popsicle
Ignostic

She's back together,

thanks to Motolab for making rebuild parts available for retail and being a good source of technical info on them so I can keep my motochondritis in check.

In a nutshell: the float was way off, the slide, guide, and emulsion tube were all worn, and the needle valve o-ring was worn enough that it fell out when the float assembly was out of the way... rebuild time, ah, yes.

I also cleared the little screen where the fuel line from the fuel pump attaches to the carb, but it was only maybe 10% full (lots of screen still showing). But I think that's about it, so I need to get out to some rough dirt and see if the "bog" is gone.

The Staintune sounds real nice - I'm glad to not be obnoxiously loud any longer!

Quote:
I'll get a measurement of those slide guide depressions when I get in there. And I'll try to take an iterative approach to this, since identifying the cause of a bog behavior in this carb would be useful to some.

Years ago, when I had no such problems with the carb I thought this bog business might be related to over-enrichment, but don't recall how I had come to that conclusion now.

The bike has a screened side airbox cover, similar to the KTM "racing side airbox cover". It also has a more suitable main jet, but I need to check what I ended up with back then. Only other change from stock would be different exhaust can, which is very unrestrictive.

But with the more open airbox I will of course be checking the float height and adjusting to suit. Thanks for the spec. I have a float height measurement tool.

For now I've pulled both carb vent lines; the float bowl line had some gunk in it, which I cleared, but the other vent line (the one with the 90 degree screened "filter") seemed very clear. I'll button her back up and test to see if this was related to the problem.
PS - some links I referenced while doing the work that I'd not seen hereabouts lately:
http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...procedure.html
http://home.everestkc.net/malsin/Mot...theory_101.htm

Old 08-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #1425
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
thanks to Motolab for making rebuild parts available for retail and being a good source of technical info on them so I can keep my motochondritis in check.
You're welcome!

Regards,

Derek