Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
disconnected OP
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,804
Maximum Depth water crossings..... How deep is to deep?

I have a 1100 GS and went for a killer ride in West Virginia this past weekend and I was wondering how deep is to deep? I kept the throttle open the entire time feathering the clutch to keep the exaust clear. I do know the air intake is under the tank. But when do you run into problems.

not to the deepest part yet...

disconnected screwed with this post 08-19-2009 at 07:00 AM
disconnected is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
tmgs
...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected
I have a 1100 GS and went for a killer ride in West Virginia this past weekend and I was wondering how deep is to deep? I kept the throttle open the entire time feathering the clutch to keep the exaust clear. I do know the air intake is under the tank. But when do you run into problems.

not to the deepest part yet...
you don't want to be sucking water into the air box, not on the GS but I have seen water into an air intake bend rods - water does not compress............ that is all the help I can be at the moment

BTW where is that? looks great, I haven;t been off the beaten path anywhere in West VA
tmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
cold_fire
Famous Head Scratcher

Oddometer: 289
If it gets past the front 19" wheel at walking speed without creating a bowl wave, it's too deep. DAMHIK :) You can get slightly deeper by crossing the river from the left bank to the right one as the air intake is on the left side of the bike, but that's pushing it. Any deeper than that and you need a snorkel.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
Look at these tow threads - you need to make my snorkel mod!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18706&highlight=pennytech

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...Water+crossing

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,273
Just A Point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_fire
If it gets past the front 19" wheel at walking speed without creating a bowl wave, it's too deep. DAMHIK :) You can get slightly deeper by crossing the river from the left bank to the right one as the air intake is on the left side of the bike, but that's pushing it. Any deeper than that and you need a snorkel.
The intake, opening of snorkel, is just under the right side of the fuel tank on my '07 GSA..not the left side...it doesn't take much to put water into the induction system....ruins oil and can lock up engine as described in previous post....and if you have the OEM air filter it also can destroy the element..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
LDHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
BIG DoM,

Your pictures of the mod in your linked threads didn't show. Can you post them here?

$bob$
Old 08-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
STROH80
Emerald backroads

Oddometer: 214
I find that the pictures of snorkels links are broken/missing.???

Is there a list someware of the openings that need to be closed up, vent holes and such?

Support the AMA.

01 K1200LTi Blue 66k Still Going Off Road

08 R1200GS Adv 'Johny 5 the dancing hippo'
STROH80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Not sure why they are not opening? Maybe too old? I will e-mail the mod and see if can be rectified as I am nit sure I still have them ... was a good few years ago.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG DoM
Not sure why they are not opening? Maybe too old? I will e-mail the mod and see if can be rectified as I am nit sure I still have them ... was a good few years ago.
There were some server problems a year or so ago (I think ... it all kind of blends together ...). Anyhow, a lot of attached images got wiped out.

Nice pic, Disconnected. That is a heavy bike to take across a rocky stream bed.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by space
There were some server problems a year or so ago (I think ... it all kind of blends together ...). Anyhow, a lot of attached images got wiped out.

Nice pic, Disconnected. That is a heavy bike to take across a rocky stream bed.
Yeah mods have told me they dumped picks some time back to make space before the switch over to the big server. Anyone who wants pics of the snorkel mod PM me youur e-mail address as I am also having problems posting picks to thios site for some rason?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
cold_fire
Famous Head Scratcher

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
The intake, opening of snorkel, is just under the right side of the fuel tank on my '07 GSA..not the left side...it doesn't take much to put water into the induction system....ruins oil and can lock up engine as described in previous post....and if you have the OEM air filter it also can destroy the element..
On my '97 11GS it's on the left side, just under the tank.