Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,011
A credit card with a Full Clip.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #32
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,367
motorcycle jumper cables. zip ties (yes mentioned but various sizes is recommended - think screw holes), small roll of duct tape. Often that it what you will use/share more often than the rest.

Air compressor stirpped and placed under seat; do a search a very cool modification or a bunch of compressed air canisters.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #33
Fast Eddie
GS Boxers forever.......

Oddometer: 420
A red head split tail.

If Emmanuel Kant, can Ghenghis Kahn?

'05 R 1200 GS
'06 R 1200 GS
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #34
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
In fact, lemme put some of the GS-specific ones together...
Old 04-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #35
signit98
Nutcase... really!

Oddometer: 802
Well, I built my tool kit from the ADVDesigns.com list... they sell a comprehensive toolkit model specific and are nice enough to list every tool in there.

With just a few extra things in your tool bag, you are good to go.

With all that said, keep in mind that you are not going to do an engine re-build on the side of the road in the YT. If something major breaks, you'll find the needed tools in the city you'll most likely having to be towed to!

But for most everything else... that'll do just fine. No need to carry the whole hobby shop.

Been there - already forgot about it...!

Follow my Journey, pursue insanity:

www.itwasnotme.com
signit98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #36
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I hate you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
I got the Knipex tools (and the tool roll) at Expidition Exchange (tools at https://www.expeditionexchange.com/knipex/ ). I think I've got the 180mm version. I'll warn you though: They are great people to do business with and have excellent prices, but don't visit their site unless you have lots of time and $$$ to spare!
Don't take it personal. I hate you, hate you hate you. Can I have that hour and $300.00 back? What a great tool site! Thanks
jdbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #37
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Pelecan

Nice site. http://www.pelican-case.com/chart.html
jdbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #38
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,188
Every time a thread like this pops up it amazes me all over again - spend $20,000.00 on a brand new, top of the line motorcycle and it doesn't come with a ferking tool kit? My first minibike 50 years ago had a tool kit, for crying out loud. And, for what it's worth, BMW used to put really nice kits on their bikes. I had a 1994 K75 with an outstanding kit, a 1997 1100RT with a great one, and still have my 2001 1150GS which has a fantastic kit in a special lockable box under the pillion seat. All I've ever had to add to the stock kit was a few specific utility items like zip ties, duct tape, etc. and of course tire changing/repair stuff like a bead breaker, tire irons, some plug-patches, and a pump.

These Motion Pro bead breakers/tire irons are my latest addition and I love them, much better than beating on a stick with a rock or attempting to use your kickstand to break the bead:

I still like my set of three 16" curvy tire irons for changing tires, but these things really do the trick and are 1/3 the bulk and weight.

Doug
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #39
go4mini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Every time a thread like this pops up it amazes me all over again - spend $20,000.00 on a brand new, top of the line motorcycle and it doesn't come with a ferking tool kit? My first minibike 50 years ago had a tool kit, for crying out loud. And, for what it's worth, BMW used to put really nice kits on their bikes. I had a 1994 K75 with an outstanding kit, a 1997 1100RT with a great one, and still have my 2001 1150GS which has a fantastic kit in a special lockable box under the pillion seat. All I've ever had to add to the stock kit was a few specific utility items like zip ties, duct tape, etc. and of course tire changing/repair stuff like a bead breaker, tire irons, some plug-patches, and a pump.

These Motion Pro bead breakers/tire irons are my latest addition and I love them, much better than beating on a stick with a rock or attempting to use your kickstand to break the bead:

I still like my set of three 16" curvy tire irons for changing tires, but these things really do the trick and are 1/3 the bulk and weight.

Doug
+100

I still carry the tool kit from my '94 RSL, plus a few additions for the GS. Add in the supplies, and I've done pretty well for myself and also any one I find broken down along the road....
go4mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #40
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,624
Are you going to change your tubeless tires on the road yourself?

No need for bead breaker or tire irons on a BMW R1150/1200GS.
TUCKERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #41
Thunder Pig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Why is that? I've changed tubeless tires on other bikes and still needed to break the beads loose. Are the GS rims different that they just come off without? I'm making a tool kit myself and want to be able to change a tire wherever I might be and if I don't need something to pop off beads that would be one less thing to carry. Thanks.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Thunder Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #42
TUCKERS
the famous james

If you are changing your own tires on the side of road yes of course you need the equipment. My point is you don't need that equipment to simply fix a flat, as you do that on the bike with the wheel still attached.
Pretty difficult to unseat a bead on a tubeless and remove it at the side of the road, also quite difficult to re-install tire and seat the bead. I expect you will be carrying tires to change?, or having them shipped ahead? I'd change them at a facility with a tire machine.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #43
Thunder Pig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Good point

True, if you get a tubeless flat you would plug it and if you needed to change it do at a shop. One less thing to carry.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Thunder Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #44
L21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Plugs don't always work. Tire irons and a 19 inch tube. Tube works in front and rear tire, just remove the valve stem and your good to go.
L21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #45
TUCKERS
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by L21 View Post
Plugs don't always work. Tire irons and a 19 inch tube. Tube works in front and rear tire, just remove the valve stem and your good to go.

Have you successfully seated the bead with this procedure?