ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2014, 04:09 AM   #1
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,382
2015 lake huron 1000

Jim VanDenBerghe recently released the ride info and it is on the IBA event calender.
Here is the link to the original document.
http://members.triton.net/vandenbe/LKHURON1K.htm

Lake Huron / Three Bridges SS1K
Saturday, June 27, 2015
An IBA Pre-Approved Ride. We do the paperwork, and you concentrate on the ride.

All makes of bikes and passengers are welcome.
This is a great ride for Riders looking to earn their IBA number !!
This is not a mandatory big group ride. Ride in your own small group or do your own thing individually, or ride with the balance of the riders.

This Ride is approximately 1,011 Miles

Start & End at the Speedway station on M-53 in Imlay City, Michigan
( Less than 1/2 mile north of I-69 , exit 168 )
OR : If you live closer to the route than Imlay City, MI , you may Start and End at any location besides Imlay City along the above route. If you pick an alternative Start & End location, you must pre-register.
Note : All IBA Great Lakes Rides require the same Start & End locations.
Have your Passport, Passport Card, Michigan Enhanced Driver's License, or Nexus Card, for easy crossing into Canada and returning to the US. The "Two Document" option can work, also ; Your driver's license and birth certificate. But it will require a slight delay at the border.
You will also need proof of motorcycle insurance coverage in Canada.
( Obtain directly from your insurance company or agent )

I have done all the Rides in the IBA Great Lakes Series of Rides and in my opinion, the Lake Huron Ride is the most enjoyable. And to make this ride as enjoyable as possible, the Toronto area & Barrie will be avoided.
We will be going all the way up to North Bay and then head west to Sudbury, a very unique geological area, and then on to the Soo - See "Wikipedia Sudbury Basin" for more info.
The Lake Huron SS1K is a great ride either for those Rider's with their IBA number or those who will be earning their IBA number on this ride.
Meet & Greet at the Imlay City Speedway station between
5:15 am and 5:45 am, and form small groups if desired.
If not pre-registered, submit a signed Application & Release Form the morning of the ride and pay registration fee ( cash, check or money order, see below ) before the ride.
Download form here . Please have form completed and signed before arriving in Imlay City.
Have your odometer reading recorded before departure.

Note : A full refund will be given if you cancel ( if pre-registered ) or do not successfully complete the ride.

Bikes and Riders will depart at 6:00 am and do a CCW route. Note as mentioned above, the route bypasses the Toronto area ( Trust me, this is part of a good plan ).
If you start & end in Imlay City, only Seven Mandatory Receipts are required.

Blue Water Bridge toll at Port Huron is $3.00 for MC's
International Bridge toll at the Soo is $3.50 for MC's
Big Mac Bridge toll is $4.00 for MC's

Obtain SEVEN ( if you start / end at the Imlay City Speedway station ) or NINE Mandatory gas receipts ( if you do not start & end at the Imlay City Speedway station ).
These are the Receipts you need to turn in at the end of the ride :
NOTE : These receipts are required to confirm you did at least 1,000 miles on the ride.
Your alternative Start location , if you don't Start & Stop at Imlay City. Also an Ending gas receipt at your alternative start/end location.
London, ON - North side of London, before turning onto
Richmond St. [ 4 ]
Sunnidale Corner ,
about 6 miles past Stayner, ON at the junction of 26 & 10
North Bay, ON
Esso Station , at the junction of Hwy-17 ( Trans Canada Hwy ) and Hwy-6 , near Espanola
Harrison, MI US-127 , exit 176
Flint Twp. I-75, exit 116A , Bristol Rd. ( Airport Rd. )
Imlay City, MI if you choose an alternative Start & Stop location.
An Ending gas receipt back at the Imlay City Speedway OR your alternate start/end location, NLT 24 hours after your departure time .
NOTE: All IBA Great Lakes Rides require the same Start & End locations.
NOTE : All Mandatory gas receipts MUST have a legible and accurate date & time and location.

Then proceed to the Imlay City Tim Horton's ( open 24/7 ) near the Speedway station and have your odometer reading recorded, and hand in your Seven Mandatory gas receipts , between 1:30 am and 6:00 am , if you started at the Imlay City Speedway.
If you started at an alternative location along your route, mail legible copies ( check for the date, time , and location ) of the NINE Mandatory Gas Receipts to me ASAP after the ride :

Jim VanDenBerghe
6153 Division
Newaygo, MI 49337
NOTE : All Mandatory gas receipts MUST have a legible and accurate date, time, and location.

Friendly Suggestions :
Immediately after leaving the International Bridge at the Soo and re-entering Michigan, there is a Rest Area right off exit 394. Exit 394 is located basically right at the end of the bridge. There are several 24/7 gas stations just across the street from the Rest Area. This would be a great location to grab a coffee, take a break and meet up with other Riders and groups.

Similarly, another excellent location to re-group and rub elbows with other Riders is the well known Clare Rest Area ( exit , left lane ) in the Lower Peninsula, about 10 miles south of the Harrison Mandatory stop on US-127. After a break at the rest area, it will be an easy 145 mile ride back to Imlay City. An extra break late in the ride is usually a great idea.

Cost for a full package is $45 ( Full Package that includes an IBA certificate, SS1K license plate backer, and Lake Huron pin ), otherwise $40 ( Certificate and Pin only ).
$8 additional for a passenger - includes extra passenger certificate & Lake Huron pin.
Your application for certification by the IBA will be submitted as a group and will be expedited by the IBA . No logs or copies of receipts, and other forms to be submitted to the IBA by you ( unless you choose an alternate Start/Stop location, then mail me copies of all Eight Mandatory receipts) . We do the paperwork, you do the ride.

Contact Jim VanDenBerghe by phone ( 231-224-6970 ) or email ( preferred ) if you have any questions, etc.

You may Pre-Register : Application & Release Form

http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-17-2014 at 11:39 AM
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Smudge!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Thanks, looks interesting.
Smudge! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge! View Post
Thanks, looks interesting.

Yes,it should be an enjoyable and interesting ride.These loosely knit group rides (It is still an individual effort but some ride together or hook up at some point along the way) are pretty exciting.It adds another dimension to the ride when you start with a group of diverse motorcycles from various locations and continually leap frog or bump into each other along the route.Then,at the finish,many hang out together for a bit and have coffee or something to eat while finishing up their paperwork and receipts.It is also a good opportunity to meet other like minded riders who you may decide to tour with on another day.Many of the same riders return for these and get to know each other.If anyone would feel more comfortable riding with another rider,but doesn't know anyone,feel free to contact me and either I will accompany you or set you up with another rider.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
VG44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
In

SmugMug Coupon - Ga3PqQ6TYbYKA
VG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG44 View Post
In
Glad to hear it !!! Finally getting some interest in the Lake Huron ride.The Lake series of rides are alot of fun.I figure many riders probably don't want to deal with Canada, so the Yooper ride is getting more interest so far.I can't wait for the Huron ride !!! Plus we are bypassing the insanely busy Toronto area.During the Lower Great Lakes 1000 this summer, Toronto was still bustling at 7-8 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
drbuzzard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
well you know I'm in on this one cuz
my short term goal is to have a patch for all the great lakes IBA rides
Old 12-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbuzzard View Post
well you know I'm in on this one cuz
my short term goal is to have a patch for all the great lakes IBA rides
Yes sir, after the Huron ride, you will only need the Lake Michigan 1000.That is going to be on the 2016 calender.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Swag

Like most IBA rides, the Great Lakes series has an individual pin and patch for each accomplishment.The products are all high quality with impressive art and design.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-17-2014 at 11:38 AM
Old 12-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
armith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
my preliminary is I'm in!
armith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Excellent, another Ohio rider too.I hope you can make it.A riding partner of mine,Gas Guzzler, is from Ashtabula and he has a brother in Youngstown.Last name is Auer.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
armith
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Excellent, another Ohio rider too.I hope you can make it.A riding partner of mine,Gas Guzzler, is from Ashtabula and he has a brother in Youngstown.Last name is Auer.
If they are on OhioRiders, It's possible I have crossed paths with them. I used to work in Bula and used to organize a covered bridge tour in the fall.

Got the boss's approval and she's not interested in making this a 2up adventure. Calendar is marked.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #12
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by armith View Post
If they are on OhioRiders, It's possible I have crossed paths with them. I used to work in Bula and used to organize a covered bridge tour in the fall.

Got the boss's approval and she's not interested in making this a 2up adventure. Calendar is marked.
Most of Gas Guzzlers family still lives in Ashtabula.He was just talking about all the covered bridges in that area and we are going to try to do a covered bridge tour there next year.

That's good to hear you have the Lake Huron ride scheduled,what bike will you be on ?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
armith
Adventurer

2006 Yamaha YZF 600R
Old 12-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #14
VG44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by armith View Post

When you do the covered bridge tour in the fall add me to the list. Any chance you do the one in Mohican State Park near Loudonville, OH? My dad was the park ranger there for 28 years.

SmugMug Coupon - Ga3PqQ6TYbYKA
VG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #15
armith
Adventurer

I haven't done the covered bridge tour in about 3 years now.. Might have to put a feeler out to see if there's interest to bring it back again.

The one's I did were specifically the covered bridges of Ashtabula County.. With 18 bridges, unless your really scooting and willing to hit some rural dirt roads, it's hard to do all the bridges in one day. Especially with a group.

It would be fun to branch out to other areas for covered bridge tours. I've heard of Mohican State Park but never been there. Heard there's some decent roads and great camping out there. Not to far from Coshocton either. Looks like I will have to add to the list and check that one out.