ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
justlookin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Michigan hammock camping question

Heading to the UP this weekend and intend to hammock camp. I'd like some input as to which way to pack. I would like to take my bare bones hammock and light 40 degree bag but if mosquitoes are a problem I will take the heavier netted hammock. What advise do you local guys think - Am I bringing enough bag and do you think mosquitoes will be much of a problem? Thanks in advance
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,927
Do you have an under quilt?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,203
mosquitos are very hungry in the UP.
be warned.
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,161
I haven't been to the UP yet this summer but in past years have had bud free trips in late August and Sept.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,840
The key to staying warm or comfortable in a hammock is insulating whatever part of your body that touchs the hammock from the cool air flowing beneath it.
If not, you get this cool sensation on that part of your body and you will have a restless night.
It doesn't have to be real cold either, just the normal overnight drop in temp.
Pilot nailed it- Do you have a under quilt ?
I don't think your 40 bag is going to do it for Northern climates and a trip is not the time to experiment unless you have a backup tent and can go to the ground.
Good luck.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,203
bugs

When my bike blew up in BFE on hwy 2 , I was not worried about the bike.
Just got a half million mosquitos biting me at once through my gear...I about went mental in 10 minutes...I flagged down a utility crew and got a can of deet , thank god.
I won't even ride now w/o a can of OFF duct-taped to the bike. You are welcome to experience it firsthand but I am telling you now....you cant even slow down on a trail, get eaten alive.
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,410
I spent a night in a state park near Sault Ste. Marie in July, and nearly froze to death. Leaving Kansas in 100 degree summer, I was not close to being prepared for sleeping outside in upper Michigan.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB View Post
I spent a night in a state park near Sault Ste. Marie in July, and nearly froze to death. Leaving Kansas in 100 degree summer, I was not close to being prepared for sleeping outside in upper Michigan.
Two years ago in Oct. it was in the 80s everyday when I went up to Copper Harbor. Had the air on in the motel at nignt in Marquette. And the colors were peak. Sweet! You never know.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
justlookin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the advice guys - I am an experienced hammock camper - just didn't know what to expect for bugs and temps. Guess I was hoping it would be cool enough to keep the mosquitoes at bay and I could sleep under the stars. I will take the warmer and mosquito protected setup - Thanks
Old 08-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin View Post
Thanks for the advice guys - I am an experienced hammock camper - just didn't know what to expect for bugs and temps. Guess I was hoping it would be cool enough to keep the mosquitoes at bay and I could sleep under the stars. I will take the warmer and mosquito protected setup - Thanks
It varies by location, but be prepared to overwhelming swarms in the woods. I just got back from a trip in the eastern UP.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
justlookin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cannonshot,

Your tracks are my mission, leaving in the morning and can't wait! Thanks for your hard work and advice - I will take my bug netted hammock.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #12
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,399
Justlookin,
If you slept in the 40 degree bag like I'm guessing you did, today is the last day for Arrowhead's UnderQuilt sale.. $75 will get you a Jarbidge underquilt that's good to around 25 degrees..

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s..._Jarbidge.html

The sale ends today and at that price, it'd be hard to make one yourself for much less money.

And they've got other stuff on sale, also..
http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...sary_Sale.html

I'm not associated with them in any way. Just a fan of any equipment that keeps me warm and comfortable in a hammock. And bug free is a huge bonus, too!!
I had no idea what an underquilt was at the beginning of this season and froze my butt off during my first hang. Pilot and Hodag both asked me what I was using and I felt I had enough gear.. WRONG!! I since then made a poncho liner underquilt and have a $75 Jarbidge on the way after seeing their other work..

I hope your camping was comfortable.. This is my set up from last weekend.

Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM   #13
Gadget Man
Out in the Garage...

Oddometer: 72
Hey Paper.

We met at the BMW Rally last May in Money Creek. You were hanging and I was on the ground.
I have 2 homemade hammocks, one single layer and one double layer. The double layer is so I can put my Thermarest pad in between. When I use the Thermarest pad I don"t carry my homemade poncho liner underquilt. I've actually never used it. The pad is a PITA to keep in the right spot all night. I'm constantly messing with it or sliding off.
Do you think I'd be better off forgetting the pad and just going with the underquilt? It would actually take up less space in my luggage. I was thinking of sewing a diagonal sleeve in the double layer hammock to hold the pad at the exact perfect angle, I wonder if that will help?

Gadget Man

Current bike.
2013 V-Strom 650 Adventure
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #14
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
Hey Paper.

We met at the BMW Rally last May in Money Creek. You were hanging and I was on the ground.
I have 2 homemade hammocks, one single layer and one double layer. The double layer is so I can put my Thermarest pad in between. When I use the Thermarest pad I don"t carry my homemade poncho liner underquilt. I've actually never used it. The pad is a PITA to keep in the right spot all night. I'm constantly messing with it or sliding off.
Do you think I'd be better off forgetting the pad and just going with the underquilt? It would actually take up less space in my luggage. I was thinking of sewing a diagonal sleeve in the double layer hammock to hold the pad at the exact perfect angle, I wonder if that will help?

Gadget Man
Hey!! I was just BSing with Thanantos on the Hammock forum and was mentioned you..

I've never used a pad for the same reason as you mentioned.. Every time I've tried to have something under me in a hammock I fight with it.. I made up that poncho liner under quilt and it's night and day difference in freedom!! I've just been using a sleeping bag with the foot area zipped shut, and the rest draped over me, and the poncho liner underquilt under the hammock and it's amazingly easy!! Get in, reach under and position the underquilt, pull the sleeping bag up with my feet in the footbox and make loud snoring noises!!!

My only (and very minor one at that) is that my homemade poncho liner underquilt is only 32" wide. Most production underquilts are 40"-50" wide. While I haven't had any issue with the narrow one at my shoulders, it's pretty easy to not have coverage at my legs because of being diagonal. I've got 2 more poncho liners and I'm going to sew them together and make one 45" wide.. Even with a bigger UQ it's still half of the space taken up by all the normal tent stuff I used to use.

I still haven't been in cold enough weather to need one of the professionally made under quilts from Arrowhead but I know the time will be coming.. Thanantos mentioned we need to get a bunch of the ADV guys together for a ride and hang.. I was thinking of the same thing as I stopped in at Fox Park, just down the lake from Escanaba, last week.. Perfect place to gather at this neat little township park..
And if the weather co-operates I'll be hanging at the Wis Dells BMW rally in a week..

I've PM'd back and forth with Shug from the Hammock forum.. His videos are a huge help and answer a ton of questions.. And the guy just ain't right ..

http://youtu.be/d7NZVqpBUV0