ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #2686
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Grand Rapids View Post
That sounds like fun, even with a fifteen year old.
A fifteen y/o/ DO you happen to know Than and his 14 yomh??

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:55 AM   #2687
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Grand Rapids View Post
That sounds like fun, even with a fifteen year old. I have only been pulled over twice on a bike, and they were both in Manistee County. They were about five years apart and it was the same cop. I would like to go through there with someone who knows the area and how to avoid being pulled over

Good luck on that one Dan....Manistee Co. does not like bikes for some reason. Actually the Co I know really well is Lake, then Wexford next best. The mind says 15 but the body always let's me know I am 62 so I average it and ride like a 40 yr old. That about cover it OFF ROAD GOAT?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #2688
1TRAK
EXPLORER

Oddometer: 213
[QUOTE=buls4evr;17569102]Good luck on that one Dan....Manistee Co. does not like bikes for some reason.

At least they're consistent, when I was a member of the Pathfinders Motorcycle Club a DNR officer chased us for about 15 miles and finally caught up in the Udell Hills. A friend and I were scouting a route for dualsport one sunday and headed west into Manistee county from Carrieville, which is NE of Baldwin.

It was a beautiful morning with great traction so we wicked up our plated XRs and were having a blast. I don't remember the route (was probably 1997 or 98) but we eventually ended at the fire tower in the Udell Hills when this DNR officer comes blasting up the hill, almost hits our bikes, jumps out of his truck like he's going to chase or shoot us and runs right over to us. He tells us we're illegally riding our bikes and seemed pretty agitated till we told him the bikes were plated and once he saw they were and checked licence, registration, and insurance he chilled out.

He told us he'd been following our tracks for a while and thought we weren't legal.... maybe 15 miles of roost ticked him off.

Anyway there's some nice riding there if you get out that way. Steve
Old 12-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #2689
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,160
[QUOTE=1TRAK;17572519]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post

It was a beautiful morning with great traction so we wicked up our plated XRs and were having a blast. I don't remember the route (was probably 1997 or 98) but we eventually ended at the fire tower in the Udell Hills

Anyway there's some nice riding there if you get out that way. Steve
There is some beautiful country in the Udell Hills area. The North Country Trail goes through there and there are miles of marked mt. biking trails. There are also miles of motorcycle accessible two tracks criss crossing the area too. I've ridden some and I bet Buls knows most of them. I've been up to the fire tower on my mt.bike, all uphill of course.....The forecast for the next few days looks favorable for biking. I'm going to be busy but hopefully some of you guys can get out. I hope to get out for a short ride on Xmas just to say I did it. Happy trails!
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #2690
CharlieT
old school

What is this Udell Hills? A town? Just a hill? My maternal Grandmother was a Udell, not a very common name at least around here.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #2691
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

[QUOTE=exoff-roadgoat;17575493]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TRAK View Post
The forecast for the next few days looks favorable for biking. I'm going to be busy but hopefully some of you guys can get out. I hope to get out for a short ride on Xmas just to say I did it. Happy trails!
Snowed last night and the salt trucks have been out. So much for the sunny forecast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
What is this Udell Hills? A town? Just a hill? My maternal Grandmother was a Udell, not a very common name at least around here.
Its a long ridge of hills by Wellston that is crissed crossed by single track and is accessable only by mt.bike or hiking boots. Dust off the Huffy, bring a oxygen tank and some spandex shorts and I'll show you around.

exoff-roadgoat screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 07:09 AM
Old 12-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #2692
CharlieT
old school

[QUOTE=exoff-roadgoat;17583641]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Its a long ridge of hills by Wellston that is crissed crossed by single track and is accessable only by mt.bike or hiking boots. Dust off the Huffy, bring a oxygen tank and some spandex shorts and I'll show you around.

Yeah, you just want to get me out in the back woods and see me in spandex

Old 12-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #2693
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:

Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #2694
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

[QUOTE=CharlieT;17586963]
Quote:

In you dreams Mr T but bring your banjo just in case.........I think a duelly ride through the Udell Hills to the Marilla Hills north to Sleeping Bear is in the making again for next year. There is a lot of deep sand up there, I hope my new 50/50 tires can handle it? I had knobbies last year and cruised right through it but the paved sections really took its toll on them in only two days.....Still no snow and its even sunny today. Anyone getting out?
Old 12-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #2695
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Beauty day!It was so nice I did not one but two RTEs today.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #2696
1TRAK
EXPLORER

Oddometer: 213
[QUOTE=exoff-roadgoat;17592981]
Quote:
In you dreams Mr T but bring your banjo just in case.........I think a duelly ride through the Udell Hills to the Marilla Hills north to Sleeping Bear is in the making again for next year. There is a lot of deep sand up there, I hope my new 50/50 tires can handle it? I had knobbies last year and cruised right through it but the paved sections really took its toll on them in only two days.....Still no snow and its even sunny today. Anyone getting out?
Count me in for the Udell, Marilla and Sleeping Bear, no spandex please.

Got out today, sunny and 46!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #2697
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,591
Quote:
Beauty day!It was so nice I did not one but two RTEs today.
For sure. I got out for a couple hours with the boy yesterday so he could test out his new Christmas moto gear.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #2698
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Afternoon Gents...

The snow today has me considering epic motorcycle journeys (or any motorcycle journeys at all!) so I started thinking of this self-supported camping trip I have been talking about for a while.

I expect this trip will be done cheaply. Camping each night either in friend's/ADVRider's yards, national forests or stealth. However, I might have some cabins to stay at along the way depending on who comes and which friends of mine have theirs open in the UP by that time. At the very least we should have free and legal camping while in the UP. I intend to cook most meals at camp or along the side of the road, but most of the time we shouldn't be too far away from some diner for those that wish to pay.

We discussed and I like the idea of riding the UP loop, but it would be nice to get out of Michigan for a while too so I came up with the route below just messing around today.

http://bit.ly/vt5ZUY

Look at the blue line route not the waypoints. I used Cannonshot's Wisconsin/Michigan adventure route as a base and cut it down from 2,000 miles to 1,150 or so which puts a daily mileage at around 165 for 7 days. Considering the dirt sections I think this is a reasonable figure. We would return via the ferry to either Ludington or Muskegon.

The problem with setting up a dual sport route around here is the varied terrain and what people have for bikes. The lower peninsula section is very sandy with single track, the rest will be more wide open. So, depending on who can come I am open to altering this route to accommodate what ever bikes those folks have or choose to use. However, I do want at least a good portion (around 40%) of this ride to be in the dirt. We have a KLR and DR350 so we are good to go for pretty much any terrain except for extended highway runs or REALLY tight single track.

As far as timing goes I think June would be a good month. Hopefully not too hot yet, but also a decent chance that it will be warm enough overnight not to freeze us out. The dates I have available are either 11th-17th or the 25th-July 1st.

Let me know what you think about either the route or the timing and I hope lots of you can make it!

P.S. Goat if you come we can set things up so we will be near a hotel every night for you or other non-campers.

2013 V-Strom
Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #2699
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Afternoon Gents...

The snow today has me considering epic motorcycle journeys (or any motorcycle journeys at all!) so I started thinking of this self-supported camping trip I have been talking about for a while.

I expect this trip will be done cheaply. Camping each night either in friend's/ADVRider's yards, national forests or stealth. However, I might have some cabins to stay at along the way depending on who comes and which friends of mine have theirs open in the UP by that time. At the very least we should have free and legal camping while in the UP. I intend to cook most meals at camp or along the side of the road, but most of the time we shouldn't be too far away from some diner for those that wish to pay.

We discussed and I like the idea of riding the UP loop, but it would be nice to get out of Michigan for a while too so I came up with the route below just messing around today.

http://bit.ly/vt5ZUY

Look at the blue line route not the waypoints. I used Cannonshot's Wisconsin/Michigan adventure route as a base and cut it down from 2,000 miles to 1,150 or so which puts a daily mileage at around 165 for 7 days. Considering the dirt sections I think this is a reasonable figure. We would return via the ferry to either Ludington or Muskegon.

The problem with setting up a dual sport route around here is the varied terrain and what people have for bikes. The lower peninsula section is very sandy with single track, the rest will be more wide open. So, depending on who can come I am open to altering this route to accommodate what ever bikes those folks have or choose to use. However, I do want at least a good portion (around 40%) of this ride to be in the dirt. We have a KLR and DR350 so we are good to go for pretty much any terrain except for extended highway runs or REALLY tight single track.

As far as timing goes I think June would be a good month. Hopefully not too hot yet, but also a decent chance that it will be warm enough overnight not to freeze us out. The dates I have available are either 11th-17th or the 25th-July 1st.

Let me know what you think about either the route or the timing and I hope lots of you can make it!

P.S. Goat if you come we can set things up so we will be near a hotel every night for you or other non-campers.
Interested. Looking at your route I saw only maybe 20~30 miles that isn't on roads with names, so I would be up for it on the GS. Seems like 165 miles per day is a little conservative, especially for the days with mostly pavement, but I guess it depends on who goes and what their riding ability is.

Steve
Old 12-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #2700
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrnt View Post
Interested. Looking at your route I saw only maybe 20~30 miles that isn't on roads with names, so I would be up for it on the GS. Seems like 165 miles per day is a little conservative, especially for the days with mostly pavement, but I guess it depends on who goes and what their riding ability is.

Steve
Good point Steve, and I should be more specific about the route I envision because I don't think the map shows it real well (it was quickly thrown together to give an idea) and it is pretty diverse.

I plan to follow the MCCCT trails north from the Newaygo area to the moto-campground in Interlochen (or at least as much of it as I can handle on a loaded KLR.)

From there we will follow the map route (including the Tunnel of Trees) to the bridge.

Once in the UP I hope to follow either the Northern or Southern portion of Cannonshot's UP Adventure loop: http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20
Which we take will largely depend on what kind of time we are making at that point. The northern part is much longer.

That will take us to Wisconsin where I hope to enlist the help of some WI ADVRiders (Cannonshot?) to help find a dirty route south to Milwaukee.

2013 V-Strom

Thanantos screwed with this post 12-27-2011 at 12:06 PM