ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #3241
Neubie
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hello, I used to live in Fennville and I've really enjoyed following (lurking) this thread for a while as I have little chance of getting over to the west side of the state any time soon. I am posting becauses I have a question. I live in Waterford and I need advice on a route to Franklin, Tennessee. The catch is I want to avoid freeways and gravel roads as much as possible. Any suggestions on how to map this out? I will be traveling without GPS, and I'd like to make it down there in 2 1/2 to 3 days to visit family with the same time frame to return. Is there any trip planner wedsite where I could I map a course to ride on only state highways, county roads, etc.? Any help would be great. Thanks, Neubie
Neubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #3242
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neubie View Post
Hello, I used to live in Fennville and I've really enjoyed following (lurking) this thread for a while as I have little chance of getting over to the west side of the state any time soon. I am posting becauses I have a question. I live in Waterford and I need advice on a route to Franklin, Tennessee. The catch is I want to avoid freeways and gravel roads as much as possible. Any suggestions on how to map this out? I will be traveling without GPS, and I'd like to make it down there in 2 1/2 to 3 days to visit family with the same time frame to return. Is there any trip planner wedsite where I could I map a course to ride on only state highways, county roads, etc.? Any help would be great. Thanks, Neubie
Google Maps can help out a bit, you can select 'Get Directions' and then hit the "show options" link which will give you the choices to Avoid highways and Avoid tolls. It is pretty basic though. Also the little buttons that show the Person Walking and Bicycle will give you different routes,

Taking non-major highways
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...mra=ls&t=m&z=6
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #3243
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Google Maps can help out a bit, you can select 'Get Directions' and then hit the "show options" link which will give you the choices to Avoid highways and Avoid tolls. It is pretty basic though. Also the little buttons that show the Person Walking and Bicycle will give you different routes,

Taking non-major highways
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...mra=ls&t=m&z=6
I did not know that. Thanks Pete. On a RTE to Grand Haven before it gets to warm. I've been exploring all the dead end roads along the Grand River. I think I'm the only one wearing long pants and a helmet today. How embarrassing.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #3244
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I did not know that. Thanks Pete. On a RTE to Grand Haven before it gets to warm. I've been exploring all the dead end roads along the Grand River. I think I'm the only one wearing long pants and a helmet today. How embarrassing.

Nope I saw one with pants and helmet. Unfortunately he didn't have a shirt . I think he had sandals on also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #3245
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Made it down across the border today into Indiana. Saw a guy and his wife on a cruiser. Guy was wearing just his shorts and sandals, his wife in a shorts/tanktop and flip flops.
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #3246
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
I left the bike pakred I hate riding on amature weekend .....
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #3247
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
I left the bike pakred I hate riding on amature weekend .....
As I said, I worked all weekend, but from what I saw this was a good call.

Bulls is owed an apology by me for jumping on him last year about riding this weekend (sorry about that), but if it wasn't the n00b riders it was the idiot drivers causing car/bike crashes all weekend.

I've ridden almost every day since early March, but was glad to take this weekend off from riding.

I can't seem to pinpoint when it happens (moon cycles, tide, barometer, temp?) but there is just times when people lose their minds and this weekend was one.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #3248
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
As I said, I worked all weekend, but from what I saw this was a good call.

Bulls is owed an apology by me for jumping on him last year about riding this weekend (sorry about that), but if it wasn't the n00b riders it was the idiot drivers causing car/bike crashes all weekend.

I've ridden almost every day since early March, but was glad to take this weekend off from riding.

I can't seem to pinpoint when it happens (moon cycles, tide, barometer, temp?) but there is just times when people lose their minds and this weekend was one.
Hey Than.... I was too strong on my LEO statement last year anyway! That was over the top to bash cops who have to put up with the holiday bozos on my part. I apologize for that to all you LEOS.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #3249
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

I rode all over all weekend and didn't see anything unusual? Being human the bikers can be just as insane as the cagers. I did see alot of bandanas and doo rags, but then it was warm...............
Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #3250
Neubie
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for the advice. The bicycle route looks like it will work really well. On the map, there are a few areas of the route highlighted in a darker blue. Are those areas designated bicycle trails and off limits to motorcycles?. Also, any ideas on gel pads, sheep skins, or something else that might ease my backside ache? My stock seat is causing me grief and I can't spring for an upgrade right now. Thanks again. By the way, I rode to West Branch and back this weekend. Lots of people riding without helmets...I wasn't one of them. Rough way to cull the herd.
Neubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #3251
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,736
Quote:
On the map, there are a few areas of the route highlighted in a darker blue. Are those areas designated bicycle trails and off limits to motorcycles?.
Yes
Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #3252
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. The bicycle route looks like it will work really well. On the map, there are a few areas of the route highlighted in a darker blue. Are those areas designated bicycle trails and off limits to motorcycles?. Also, any ideas on gel pads, sheep skins, or something else that might ease my backside ache? My stock seat is causing me grief and I can't spring for an upgrade right now. Thanks again. By the way, I rode to West Branch and back this weekend. Lots of people riding without helmets...I wasn't one of them. Rough way to cull the herd.
The Alaska Leather sheepskin pads (ADV discount too, check the Vendor section) are nice but I guess it depends on the degree of pain and where the pressure points are. I have also used an Airhawk inflatable pad which was very cushy. Without knowing what you are riding (you might want to update your profile so we know) those are the generic ones.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #3253
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrnt View Post
The Alaska Leather sheepskin pads (ADV discount too, check the Vendor section) are nice but I guess it depends on the degree of pain and where the pressure points are. I have also used an Airhawk inflatable pad which was very cushy. Without knowing what you are riding (you might want to update your profile so we know) those are the generic ones.
Its just like with bicycling, the more you ride the less pain. I have a DR 650 with the gel seat that everyone hates and I have no problems with it myself. My Honda has a rock hard Corbin which I also have no problems with. I think being spanked every day as a child helps too... Thanks Mom and Dad.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #3254
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. The bicycle route looks like it will work really well. On the map, there are a few areas of the route highlighted in a darker blue. Are those areas designated bicycle trails and off limits to motorcycles?..... By the way, I rode to West Branch and back this weekend. Lots of people riding without helmets...I wasn't one of them. Rough way to cull the herd.
As I understand it the reasoning for making Michigan a helmet optional state was purely economical. Its to intice out of staters who don't wear helmet to visit our beautiful state without the inconvinence of having to drag along a helmet. The economic impact should easily offset a few biker deaths. Right?.....What if we made bicycle trails open to motorcycles too? Everyone would flock to Michigan to ride on our thousands of miles of bicycle trails which would lead to a huge economic windfall for Lansing. I can just see me single tracking the North Country Trail. Sweet!...... Just my three cents. Have a nice day.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #3255
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,941
[QUOTE=Neubie;18789755]Thanks for the advice. The bicycle route looks like it will work really well. On the map, there are a few areas of the route highlighted in a darker blue. Are those areas designated bicycle trails and off limits to motorcycles?. Also, any ideas on gel pads, sheep skins, or something else that might ease my backside ache? My stock seat is causing me grief and I can't spring for an upgrade right now. Thanks again. By the way, I rode to West Branch and back this weekend. Lots of people riding without helmets...I wasn't one of them. Rough way to cull the herd.[

Don't forget to check out the Wallyworld ATV seat. I don't have one, but those that do seem to think they are a good value and get the job done.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote