ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #4246
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
If you're into adventure bikes, pick up the new issue of Cycle World. Its their "SPecial Adventure Issue". There's a comparison test between the following bikes: Husky TR650, Kawi KLR 650, KTM 900, Triumph Tiger 800XC, and yamaha Super Tenere.

Oh, and Than......their assesment of the KLR:

1. Basic suspension easily overwhlemed
2. Rubber foot pegs slippery when wet.
3. Not much faster than a VW microbus

So, you see, its not you...its your bike!!
Did it mention also that the KLR is affordable to 99 % of riders?
Its also way faster than a microbus and as easy to work on. Are you trying to stir up trouble Charlie? You know how sensitive KLR riders are.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #4247
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Are you trying to stir up trouble Charlie? You know how sensitive KLR riders are.

What? innocent little ol' me trying to stir up trouble? Hogwash!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #4248
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Well being a not particularly sensitive KLR owner, I'd say what both of you have said is accurate.

The KLR is cheap, but will get you to the ends of the earth with little or no mechanical problems along the way. Although, it will get you there slowly and with little style or comfort.

BUT, then there's the added bonus that if you go down you can always blame it in the crappy suspension :)
Old 03-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #4249
CharlieT
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Well being a not particularly sensitive KLR owner, I'd say what both of you have said is accurate.

The KLR is cheap, but will get you to the ends of the earth with little or no mechanical problems along the way. Although, it will get you there slowly and with little style or comfort.

BUT, then there's the added bonus that if you go down you can always blame it in the crappy suspension :)
Or the slippery pegs. And as for speed............maybe its the bike, not the rider.

CharlieT screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 03:26 PM
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #4250
zookiemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
The new klr to me is just as confused as the the vstrom 650. Built to a price, functional yet missing something.
Plus the plastics feel extra cheesy.
I do like the older klr 650 though. They seem like a solid bike.

Cruised 50miles on the green vespa last night.
Kinda brisk.. lol

zookiemike screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 01:03 AM
zookiemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #4251
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookiemike View Post
The new klr to me is just as confused as the the vstrom 650. Built to a price, functional yet missing something.
Plus the plastics feel extra cheesy.
I do like the older klr 650 though. They seem like a solid bike.

Cruised 50miles on the green vespa last night.
Kinda brisk.. lol
As the current owner of a latest-gen KLR and previous owner of a KLX I will also agree with this, but I'll take my plastics as they are definitely useful on the highway.

The KLR, like every other dual sport motorcycle, is a trade off. IMHO, it's the truest 50/50 bike out there.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #4252
CharlieT
old school

Than didn't you briefly have a DR350?? Isn't that what you rode on our UP ADventure?

What did you think of that? I kinda of miss mine. Was a great dual-sport in my opinion, but it was lacking it the rougher off-road stuff, the single track that I was more into riding at the time. Wouldn't mind having another one. Now don't get me wrong, Im not about to give up the street legal XR600. THat thing is just a flat-out hoot to ride off road, but is is slightly lacking in pavement civility compared to the old DR350.

CharlieT screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 05:59 AM
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #4253
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
If you're into adventure bikes, pick up the new issue of Cycle World. Its their "SPecial Adventure Issue". There's a comparison test between the following bikes: Husky TR650, Kawi KLR 650, KTM 900, Triumph Tiger 800XC, and yamaha Super Tenere.
What a goofy ass test putting the poor KLR into the ring with these other pricy bikes. I haven't read the article but I'm assuming they were just testing bikes from opposite extremes of the so called adventure class? If I had a job I would have one of each................
Old 03-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #4254
zookiemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Than didn't you briefly have a DR350?? Isn't that what you rode on our UP ADventure?

What did you think of that? I kinda of miss mine. Was a great dual-sport in my opinion, but it was lacking it the rougher off-road stuff, the single track that I was more into riding at the time. Wouldn't mind having another one. Now don't get me wrong, Im not about to give up the street legal XR600. THat thing is just a flat-out hoot to ride off road, but is is slightly lacking in pavement civility compared to the old DR350.
I forgot all about the Zuk's.
I'm am kicking myself for offing my xr650l though. That thing did whoop the snot out of you on the street but on dirt roads that pig was awesome.

zookiemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #4255
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

I see in the Press that GR Harley-Davidson is having a Daytona Block Party next week end, the 9th and 10th. They are marking down their $50 tee shirts to $25. What a deal! They are having free food and music but best of all, drum roll please........Eric "Ponch" Estrada is going to make an appearance between noon and three on Sat. Man do these guys know how to party!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #4256
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:

I liked it a lot, and if I ever do pull the trigger on a nicer street bike I'll probably buy another to use off road. Cheap, light enough for solid off road use (could use lots of suspension work), powerful enough to keep up on the road and 6 speeds.

That was Reyer's bike though and he sold it to fund the 650R purchase.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #4257
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I see in the Press that GR Harley-Davidson is having a Daytona Block Party next week end, the 9th and 10th. They are marking down their $50 tee shirts to $25. What a deal! They are having free food and music but best of all, drum roll please........Eric "Ponch" Estrada is going to make an appearance between noon and three on Sat. Man do these guys know how to party!
Lol! Well if Ponch is gonna be there....
Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #4258
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #4259
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #4260
CharlieT
old school

Hey Than, found a Harley for you. Like new and only $5500!!! And its a GT model, so it must be fast.

http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/mcy/3657993372.html