ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #4846
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,255
Just calm down!
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #4847
DeutschMark
Full Tilt Boogie

Oddometer: 300
I am reading this after I just got tipped over at the SOS for $448 for a plate transfer/renewal.

Charlie, if you have a dealer license can't you just use your dealer plate and fleet insurance for your bikes??
DeutschMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #4848
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Just calm down!
Calm down my arse!! Frickin Gestapo should change their dam initials from SoS to just plain SS!! Make up laws as they go along and every dam office does something different to the point you'd think each one made up their own rules. Dam overpaid gov't employees, too boot!

whoops, wait a minute I was a gov't employee>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #4849
CharlieT
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschMark View Post
I am reading this after I just got tipped over at the SOS for $448 for a plate transfer/renewal.

Charlie, if you have a dealer license can't you just use your dealer plate and fleet insurance for your bikes??

ONly a licensed repair facility, not a dealer. Couldn't afford that when the insurance agent said $15k for shop/fleet insurance.

We are going to be applying for a broker's license, though, which means we can sell bikes on consignment. That's only $75 for the lic and $100 for the surety bond.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #4850
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Michigan is a National Insurance Database subscriber....computerized. If they used it correctly they should know W/I days if someone cancels their insurance. Many states in the East now do not even require a rider to carry a paper copy proof of insurance anymore. Works well if you stay in Delaware or VA but you are screwed if they pick you up in a state where there is no hardware for reading it in the squad car.Strangely, some states like new Mexico, are just anal about following your insurance coverage. They probably get burned more there. We are just beginning to see this more here. Like Charlie says though you need to know the rules before you can follow them. I can tell you that my insurance carrier will supply me with a new P.O.I anytime I ask for an updated one. I get new ones every 6 mos.though.Weird that ANY SoS would not want you to buy plates..... That is $$$$..
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #4851
buls4evr
No Marks....

On another bike related note.... The KTM EXC500... WOW in the wet sand particularly. This thing is fast. Needs a steering stabilizer. At 60 mph you put it in 6th. I think it would do 100 but not with me on it! Rear factory tire is a 140 and it is too big. It is a Maxxis and is toasted at 1400 miles. Soon to be replaced with a 130 Dunlop 606 or an M22 Bridgestone.Has been getting 55 mpg regularly at normal speeds!It weighs an actual 261 lbs at our local elevator. Every suspension part is ultra adjustable. You clean the air cleaner w/o any tools whatsoever.Like I told Kent.... If you took any Japanese bike and did all the stuff KTM does to them, they would cost the same.... but this bike weighs 50!!!!! lbs less than my old DRZ400 did. The biggest problem with the bike? Keep your eye on it . The thieves know about them already I am sure.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #4852
dsport_freak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
On another bike related note.... The KTM EXC500... WOW in the wet sand particularly. This thing is fast. Needs a steering stabilizer. At 60 mph you put it in 6th. I think it would do 100 but not with me on it! Rear factory tire is a 140 and it is too big. It is a Maxxis and is toasted at 1400 miles. Soon to be replaced with a 130 Dunlop 606 or an M22 Bridgestone.Has been getting 55 mpg regularly at normal speeds!It weighs an actual 261 lbs at our local elevator. Every suspension part is ultra adjustable. You clean the air cleaner w/o any tools whatsoever.Like I told Kent.... If you took any Japanese bike and did all the stuff KTM does to them, they would cost the same.... but this bike weighs 50!!!!! lbs less than my old DRZ400 did. The biggest problem with the bike? Keep your eye on it . The thieves know about them already I am sure.
Many of my friends have purchased this bike for dual sporting and they can't say enough good stuff about them. They also agree that the bike needs a steering dampener thou. The bikes are so quick, you can get out of shape in an instant.
GLDS Member
AMA Member
dsport_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #4853
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
On another bike related note.... The KTM EXC500... WOW in the wet sand particularly. This thing is fast. The thieves know about them already I am sure.
Just what you need Jeff, a faster bike. You shouldn't have to worry about thieves. Don't you live in a gated community?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #4854
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Just what you need Jeff, a faster bike. You shouldn't have to worry about thieves. Don't you live in a gated community?

Actually I do. Still when you are out on the road I am concealing this baby or chaining it to the truck frame Gib. It draws a crowd.....and you never know about "crowds".
Old 05-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #4855
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,997
Quote:
Actually I do. Still when you are out on the road I am concealing this baby or chaining it to the truck frame Gib. It draws a crowd.....and you never know about "crowds".
Buy a second set of aftermarket plastics and 'subdue' it a bit. I'm thinking an F-ed up flat black rattle can paint job with scratches and some cheezy stickers. No one would give it a second look. Any concerns about the lack of a cush hub? I know there is one at the clutch end, but question its effectiveness.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #4856
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Buy a second set of aftermarket plastics and 'subdue' it a bit. I'm thinking an F-ed up flat black rattle can paint job with scratches and some cheezy stickers. No one would give it a second look. Any concerns about the lack of a cush hub? I know there is one at the clutch end, but question its effectiveness.
I see your point....but then it would not be quite so appealing to me either.

Apparently the clutch hub cushions are pretty good on KTMs.At least that is what the EnduroEngineering guys told me. The big caution is not to overtighten your chain. This is hard on rear wheel bearings and countershafts they say. 2 In. of chain slack seems like a lot but that is what the factory wants. Also you put MolyPaste on the countershaft under the sprocket.Last year they were getting wear on the countershaft for some reason if you were not careful to keep it tight and use that paste on it. They may have changed the shaft hardness in 2013 however.We will see.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #4857
CharlieT
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
I'm thinking an F-ed up flat black rattle can paint job with scratches
So what you're saying is change the silver to black and make it look about like my XR600, eh?

Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #4858
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
So what you're saying is change the silver to black and make it look about like my XR600, eh?
I would still want your XR..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #4859
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentnothstine View Post
I would still want your XR..
And I want the Six Days Penton......but in green, not black.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #4860
CharlieT
old school

You should see what we just got in the shop last Saturday, oldgoat. Guy dropped off a near mint condition Kaw H1 for some carb rebuilds, etc. We let it set out front with the other bikes and in the next 3hrs, five guys stopped and wanted to know how much. One of them slammed on his brakes right in the middle of the road when he saw it. Another turned in so fast I thought he was going to hit the building!!