ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #5056
jbmac
Mitten Man

Oddometer: 125
Camping near Holland

Looking for some insight.

I have a ball tournament just outside of Holland, MI the first weekend in August. The state park near there is booked already and Google didn't seem to know of any other private parks nearby that weren't trailer parks. Wondering if anyone has some good advice on where a good park may be, or any suggested areas for stealth camping.

I would be nice to have a shower between game days, but Lake Michigan is close enough that I can be sure to make a trip in the morning or evening.

Mid-Michigan Tag-o-rama
jbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #5057
The_Boot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hey CharlieT, have an 05 Klr....

05 klr red, wymanwinn 688, em doo, progressive springs in front, progressive Larry Rosseler rear shock, em fork brace, Lexx Mxe exhaust, Ascerbis Supermoto EVO front fender and too many other farkels to mention....
The_Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #5058
The_Boot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmac View Post
Looking for some insight.

I have a ball tournament just outside of Holland, MI the first weekend in August. The state park near there is booked already and Google didn't seem to know of any other private parks nearby that weren't trailer parks. Wondering if anyone has some good advice on where a good park may be, or any suggested areas for stealth camping.

I would be nice to have a shower between game days, but Lake Michigan is close enough that I can be sure to make a trip in the morning or evening.
Most of the camping around here is all commercial RV stuff... Depending on where the tournament is it migh be worth looking toward Saugatuck or grand haven....

05 klr red, wymanwinn 688, em doo, progressive springs in front, progressive Larry Rosseler rear shock, em fork brace, Lexx Mxe exhaust, Ascerbis Supermoto EVO front fender and too many other farkels to mention....
The_Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #5059
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,122
There is a nice private campground on Ottawa Beach Rd. that is just down the road to the state park. I don't know the name. Officer Jones to the red courtesy phone.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #5060
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
There is a nice private campground on Ottawa Beach Rd. that is just down the road to the state park. I don't know the name. Officer Jones to the red courtesy phone.
Ah yes, Oak Grove Campground. Very nice, near the lakeshore but pricey and probably booked already.
http://www.oakgroveresort.com/

Next step down from that is the Dutch Treat campground. Inexpensive, with a little pond to swim in. It's along the business loop so try to get a site in the back.
http://www.dutchtreatcamping.com/

Cheapest is Drew's country camping. Shitty little campground along the highway north of Holland. No pool or lake, the only people "camping" there probably live there, but it's cheap with a crapper and showers. Perfect for ADVRiders.
http://goo.gl/maps/NBn0D

EDIT: Wanted to add one more. Tri-Ponds is a REALLY nice little campground that is actually pretty cheap with a neat saltwater pool. The only issue is it's about 20 miles south of Holland.
http://www.triponds.com/
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #5061
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

So JJ....have you sold the KLR yet?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #5062
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
So JJ....have you sold the KLR yet?
No. So buy it!

2013 V-Strom
Old 07-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #5063
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
No. So buy it!
So ride it! I smell a Yankee Springs ride coming up this week. Buy it? I can barely get two cars, two bikes and a yard trimmer in my garage as it is. It would make a good bike for someone looking for a pampered KLR.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #5064
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
So ride it! I smell a Yankee Springs ride coming up this week. Buy it? I can barely get two cars, two bikes and a yard trimmer in my garage as it is. It would make a good bike for someone looking for a pampered KLR.
Yankee Springs aint that far from me. Road bike or dually? I'll be lurkin on your plans to see iffin I can catch up with you FF's.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #5065
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Oh, I will. I'd love to sell it, but if it doesn't sell I'll just trade it in next spring. I still like the bike.

2013 V-Strom
Old 07-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #5066
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Posted on facebook but on a whim picked up this local bike for a hundred bucks, had a broken clutch lever and owner decided not to bother with it so went into a garage for years.. '75 Honda CB200, even a bit surprised it has electric start.

Got it home, put on a cheap universal clutch lever, dumped in some new fuel and charged the battery and put about a mile on it before the rear tire went flat

85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #5067
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,549
Dumped in new fuel..............uh, don't you think ya might want to change the aged oil before you run it again???

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #5068
XArmy
uhhhhh......

Oddometer: 33
Evening gents... I'm new to these forums. Just wanted to say hey to my fellow W. Michiganders and introduce myself. I'm from the NW GR area. I got into DS back in 2004 when I sold the CR and bought an 04 XR400 and plated it right off the showroom floor. I wanted a DS because the trails are endless for a DS compared to non-DS. I rode it until last year when I went back to a 2 smoker (street plated 08 KTM XCW300e). I enjoyed it last summer, but this year's riding is shot. I've been deployed since March and won't be back until Feb 2014. That said, I gotta admit I feel a bit out of place here. Most of what I read is about vintage or "DS" (meaning 80% street/ 20% offroad) bikes. Or maybe I just haven't read enough yet. Either way, I've been enjoying these forums. With any luck I'll see you on the trails someday... Cheers!
XArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #5069
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Did that also but always glad you're looking out for the best interests. :-)

The right muffler is broken, any idea if any of the CB bikes share a common one?

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #5070
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XArmy View Post
Evening gents... I'm new to these forums. Just wanted to say hey to my fellow W. Michiganders and introduce myself. I'm from the NW GR area. I got into DS back in 2004 when I sold the CR and bought an 04 XR400 and plated it right off the showroom floor. I wanted a DS because the trails are endless for a DS compared to non-DS. I rode it until last year when I went back to a 2 smoker (street plated 08 KTM XCW300e). I enjoyed it last summer, but this year's riding is shot. I've been deployed since March and won't be back until Feb 2014. That said, I gotta admit I feel a bit out of place here. Most of what I read is about vintage or "DS" (meaning 80% street/ 20% offroad) bikes. Or maybe I just haven't read enough yet. Either way, I've been enjoying these forums. With any luck I'll see you on the trails someday... Cheers!
Hey man, thanks for your service. My son actually deployed today.

Most guys here have at least a 50/50 bike, but most guys here also have multiple bikes. We all also love pretty much all bikes so there's a lot of discussion of all sorts of bikes.

Stick around here and hit us up when you get back we'll put together a welcome home ride for ya.

2013 V-Strom