ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #5071
fastdadio
Still gettin faster
 
fastdadio's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Pinckney Mi.
Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by XArmy View Post
Evening gents... I'm new to these forums. Just wanted to say hey to my fellow W. Michiganders and introduce myself. I'm from the NW GR area. I got into DS back in 2004 when I sold the CR and bought an 04 XR400 and plated it right off the showroom floor. I wanted a DS because the trails are endless for a DS compared to non-DS. I rode it until last year when I went back to a 2 smoker (street plated 08 KTM XCW300e). I enjoyed it last summer, but this year's riding is shot. I've been deployed since March and won't be back until Feb 2014. That said, I gotta admit I feel a bit out of place here. Most of what I read is about vintage or "DS" (meaning 80% street/ 20% offroad) bikes. Or maybe I just haven't read enough yet. Either way, I've been enjoying these forums. With any luck I'll see you on the trails someday... Cheers!
Welcome to the asylum! No such thing as Ex-Army, just saying. I was also Army. 76Y, supply/armorer. My son is also military. Army MP in Germany. And like Than said, thanks for your service. Where are you currently stationed?
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #5072
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,629
Than in a rare moment of old goat style niceness, failed to mention that this group has more than its share of vintage riders....and I'm referring to the rider, not the bike. Hell old goat is older than dirt.
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #5073
XArmy
uhhhhh......
 
XArmy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: West Michigan
Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Welcome to the asylum! No such thing as Ex-Army, just saying. I was also Army. 76Y, supply/armorer. My son is also military. Army MP in Germany. And like Than said, thanks for your service. Where are you currently stationed?
Well I started using the name "XArmy" after I got off active duty in 1999. Then for several reasons (one being stupidity I think), I joined the Army Reserves in 2006. I've done a year in Iraq, Afghanistan and now I'm in Africa...

BTW... CharlieT, when I get back I will have to stop by your shop. My unit is in kzoo, just off 94 on Portage rd. Not too far from you at all.

XArmy screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 12:29 AM
XArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #5074
dsport_freak
Adventurer
 
dsport_freak's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Hamilton, Michigan
Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by XArmy View Post
Evening gents... I'm new to these forums. Just wanted to say hey to my fellow W. Michiganders and introduce myself. I'm from the NW GR area. I got into DS back in 2004 when I sold the CR and bought an 04 XR400 and plated it right off the showroom floor. I wanted a DS because the trails are endless for a DS compared to non-DS. I rode it until last year when I went back to a 2 smoker (street plated 08 KTM XCW300e). I enjoyed it last summer, but this year's riding is shot. I've been deployed since March and won't be back until Feb 2014. That said, I gotta admit I feel a bit out of place here. Most of what I read is about vintage or "DS" (meaning 80% street/ 20% offroad) bikes. Or maybe I just haven't read enough yet. Either way, I've been enjoying these forums. With any luck I'll see you on the trails someday... Cheers!
You might want to check out www.gldsmc.org when you get back. Great organization of people who love to follow a GPS track and roll chart thru the forests of michigan.
__________________
Ride On!
'07 KTM 525EXC
'09 BMW R1200GS
GLDS Member
AMA Member
dsport_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #5075
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by XArmy View Post
Well I started using the name "XArmy" after I got off active duty in 1999. Then for several reasons (one being stupidity I think), I joined the Army Reserves in 2006. I've done a year in Iraq, Afghanistan and now I'm in Africa...

BTW... CharlieT, when I get back I will have to stop by your shop. My unit is in kzoo, just off 94 on Portage rd. Not too far from you at all.
From there to the shop is only about a 10min shot down 94! Do have a KTM in the shop...well, kind of....says KTM on the seat, but on the steel tank it says Penton.

Send me a PM with your shirt size and APO. I'll send you a care package. Nothing like some no cost international advertising.

I'd second the GLDS rides, they are an orange bike crowd. More off-road than a typical ADV ride.
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910

CharlieT screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 09:19 AM
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #5076
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Did that also but always glad you're looking out for the best interests. :-)

The right muffler is broken, any idea if any of the CB bikes share a common one?

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
THey are pretty much bike specific. Unless you are restoring it to original, your best option would be to replace both of them with some after market exhaust. Would also be cheaper than trying to find a nice OEM pipe!
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #5077
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,609
Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

I'm bikeless!


Thanantos screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 01:56 PM
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #5078
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

I'm bikeless!

I have a nice, cherry Cushman that we could fit with some DS tires.
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #5079
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
I have a nice, cherry Cushman that we could fit with some DS tires.
Lol, 20mph of terror!
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #5080
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,176
I just rode through downtown GR and there was a big pirate fest going on. There must be something happening? I think I was the only one down there not on a cruiser. Or wearing a helmet. It downpoured earlier and I was glad I had it. My head was the only thing that stayed dry.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #5081
GatSS
Canadian eh
 
GatSS's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: just MI
Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I just rode through downtown GR and there was a big pirate fest going on. There must be something happening? I think I was the only one down there not on a cruiser. Or wearing a helmet. It downpoured earlier and I was glad I had it. My head was the only thing that stayed dry.
Is tonight Blues on the Mall?
__________________
Mat
2012 Super Tenere
2002 XR400R - plated
2009 CRF50
GatSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #5082
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Lol, 20mph of terror!

and then you hit the foot clutch, grab the stick and shove it into high gear and...yaaahoooooo
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #5083
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,609
Found a KLX300 local on CL the guys willing to let go for $1,500.

Good deal, seems like a nice guy and certainly a nice bike, but it's a kicker. I hate kickers.
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #5084
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Found a KLX300 local on CL the guys willing to let go for $1,500.

Good deal, seems like a nice guy and certainly a nice bike, but it's a kicker. I hate kickers.
Wimp.

Back in the old days when real men rode bikes, everyone of them was a kicker. Just sayin'........
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #5085
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
Wimp.

Back in the old days when real men rode bikes, everyone of them was a kicker. Just sayin'........
Totally admit to wimpishness.

It's not the cold kick that bothers me. It's the "laid 'er down on the trail and now the carbs flooded" that sucks.

You know my tendency to "lay 'er down!"
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014