ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #5536
GatSS
Canadian eh

Oddometer: 276
Thumb Ride!

My wife and I got out for a ride on Saturday. It was mainly paved roads until we got into the Allegan area. We then cruised some gravel and even found a short, decent seasonal road. This was her first time on the Tenere and she found it much more comfortable than my old Sporty She even enjoyed the gravel and dirt. The first thing she said when we stopped for lunch was how she wants her own bike

2009 CRF50
GatSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #5537
galland1
n00b

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSS View Post
My wife and I got out for a ride on Saturday. It was mainly paved roads until we got into the Allegan area. We then cruised some gravel and even found a short, decent seasonal road. This was her first time on the Tenere and she found it much more comfortable than my old Sporty She even enjoyed the gravel and dirt. The first thing she said when we stopped for lunch was how she wants her own bike

If you look around there, depending on how wet it is there are a few seasonal roads that are quite challenging. Fun stuff. Maybe not two up though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4
galland1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #5538
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
The first thing she said when we stopped for lunch was how she wants her own bike

I can see how riding with you would bring that thought out.
Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #5539
speeds
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi - I'm new here. I'm struggling to find any seasonal roads to ride my exc350 near st. Joe or anywhere in Southwest MI. I am looking for something I can ride on those weekdays when I don't have time to go way up North. Would one of you be nice enough to send me a note with some ideas?
speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #5540
motodutch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
Hi - I'm new here. I'm struggling to find any seasonal roads to ride my exc350 near st. Joe or anywhere in Southwest MI. I am looking for something I can ride on those weekdays when I don't have time to go way up North. Would one of you be nice enough to send me a note with some ideas?
check out vvmaping.com If you do get up north drop me a pm
motodutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #5541
GatSS
Canadian eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog* View Post

I can see how riding with you would bring that thought out.
Awwww, thanks Wally!
2009 CRF50
Old 08-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #5542
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
I am up at Branch if anyone wants to go riding in the MNF between now and the 28th...... Or a RTE is good too/ also.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #5543
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Awwww, thanks Wally!
You missed another good run. Dead end ATV tracks in Minnesota, you would have felt right at home with all the boulders, mud, and skeeters.
Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #5544
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
I am up at Branch if anyone wants to go riding in the MNF between now and the 28th...... Or a RTE is good too/ also.
A busy week for me but hopefully I can get away for a day or so? I have to change out the Trail Wing before I go anywhere....I got your number.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #5545
GatSS
Canadian eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog* View Post
You missed another good run. Dead end ATV tracks in Minnesota, you would have felt right at home with all the boulders, mud, and skeeters.
Maybe next summer I'll ride... At this point I'm very tempted to sell the XR
2009 CRF50
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #5546
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,629
10% of rain the forecast said early this morning. So drove the wing hack into the shop. Just had to run out and put the top up on the sidecar before it turned into a bathtub. 10% my arse.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #5547
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,609
Nice pics Mat!

Quick yer whinin' Charlie! You'd be happy for a rainy ride in February.

Story/Rant Time Kids:

One of my REAL Dutch bro-in-laws (Born in the Motherland. He eats spicy food, hates Russ' and the Tulip Festival and is *gasp!* a liberal) decides to fulfill his life long dream of buying a Harley :ymca when he finds that his elderly neighbor is game to sell his for cheap as neighbor is too old to twist the throttle anymore.

Sounds perfect....except it's leaking oil from about every orifice.

SO, in a one day, epic wrenching session we rip this bad boy apart, replace the gaskets and put 'er all back together. BTW, ever work on a Harley? Strange combination of car and motorcycle those machines are. Do you know what a primary drive is? I didn't, but I do now!

But, no worries. We got it all back together with no extra parts left over

Problem is when we get it all back together....it won't start. Fuck.

Turns out the battery is dead

This is the kind of crazy shit that has to drive shop owners nuts. Like the customer brings there car in for a brake job and 10 miles down the road the motor blows up.

Two idiots that have no idea what they're doing strip apart an HD, somehow manage to put it all back together correctly and the battery is somehow dead?
W. T. F?

Did I mention that this HD has not just straight pipes, but NO pipes at all? Yup, straight headers with no pipes attached at all. Sounds like a GD M1 Abrams tank starting up. He picked it up just after 9 tonight, and I had to warm it up for him before he arrived to avoid a neighborly call to the police for a noise disturbance from 5 blocks away.

That's it. Thanks for reading

TL;DR That GD HD is finally out of my garage.

2013 V-Strom

Thanantos screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 08:19 PM
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #5548
CharlieT
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post

Sounds perfect....except it's leaking oil from about every orifice.

Turns out the battery is dead

This is the kind of crazy shit that has to drive shop owners nuts. Like the customer brings there car in for a brake job and 10 miles down the road the motor blows up.

Two idiots that have no idea what they're doing strip apart an HD, somehow manage to put it all back together correctly and the battery is somehow dead?
W. T. F?
What's worse is when the bring a bike in for us to work on one thing and we fix that, then when they come to pick it up they point out something else that isn't working and claim that it was fine when they brought it in.

Like they guy that brought in a bike for a rear tire change and when he picks it up, he has no rear brake. Point out the only thing we did with the rear brake was to take two caliper mount bolts out and swing the caliper out of the way. He insists it was working right before we touched it. I get out the brake bleeder tools and show him his master cylinder is not working at all. Still insists it was something we must have done. Tell him again we never touched the hydraulics at all. He's still acting like it must be our fault, because he rode it in here. Tel him I could ride the thing from here to timbucto with only the front brake. After a few more exchanges I tell him to fire it up and get it out of the shop and to never bring another bike in here again. We had worked on the bike in the past and had gotten it running and rideable for him, but he doesn't have much money and IMHO, he was trying to get his rear brake system fixed for nothing.

Only have had a couple of similar situations, but seriously thinking of going over some of these bikes with the owner when they bring it in so we can document what is working and what is not even though it may have nothing to do with what they brought it in for.

BTW, Jeff, it is a Harley....you do know that within 100mi it will start leaking oil again from somewhere.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #5549
CharlieT
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Nice pics Mat!

Quick yer whinin' Charlie! You'd be happy for a rainy ride in February.

But I was afraid I'd get a wet crotch and then it be all over.

BTW, you do know where the primary is on your DR, don't you?

Old 08-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #5550
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
BTW, you do know where the primary is on your DR, don't you?
Well, there has to be some sort of internal mechanism to transfer power from the engine to transmission when the clutch is engaged, but I've never seen it.

BTW? Anyone know if that whole primary thing with HD actually has an advantage or is it just tradition? Just one more piece to put chrome on?

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote