ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #5971
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,660
The anti-fog spray did help some with the inside of the windscreen turning opaque and keeping the glasses somewhat clear. Thanks.

Might have to look for some Rain-X......or just not ride in torrential downpours at night.
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #5972
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer
 
kentnothstine's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Traverse City, MI, USA
Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
or just not ride in torrential downpours at night.
That's my favorite plan.
__________________
2008 XT250(the new one for her to use)
2003 KLX400SR (the new one)
1997 Ural 650cc (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #5973
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,252
Brr..Chilly morning for a RTE.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #5974
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪
 
HOT DAMN!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Hammond, IN.
Oddometer: 7,633
Good day gentlemen. The wife and I will be riding up along the lakeshore from Northwest Indiana to catch the ferry in Muskegon and across the lake to Milwaukee this weekend. Anything along the way, food, sightseeing, or history wise that should not be missed?

Any and all input is appreciated.
__________________
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
HOT DAMN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #5975
dougfromindy
I smell premix
 
dougfromindy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Indpls, IN Lexington, MI
Oddometer: 2,259
yes, don't go to wisconsin, head North thru Michigan and cross a big bridge.
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #5976
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfromindy View Post
yes, don't go to wisconsin, head North thru Michigan and cross a big bridge.
Ha! Yeah, that bridge and much in between is pretty awesome.

However, Milwaukee is a really cool town and north of Milwaukee there is some neat stuff to see. Look through Cannonshot's ride reports for LOTS of info on Wisconsin and some on Michigan. He lives in Wisconsin and is a big history buff:

http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=15667


Directly to your question I bet Goat and Buls will pop in to provide some good places to eat.

There are some neat little towns along the lakeshore like St. Joseph, Saugatuck, Holland and Grand Haven. Muskegon is pretty much.....well....I'll let you make your own opinion, but there is some neat nautical stuff like the Silversides still around and the LST393.

EDIT: If you have some time head north and ride through North Muskegon and take Scenic Drive through Muskegon State Park to the Whitehall area. Good twisty ride and very pretty: http://goo.gl/maps/tpvXE
__________________
2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #5977
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,660
The piers and lighthouses at South Haven and Grand Haven provide great photo ops. Or go to the Oval Beach in Saugatuck and climb Mt. Baldy.

For places to eat in that region, its best to wait for our resident culinary-RTE expert to reply.
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #5978
Reddog*
^ "Look up"
 
Reddog*'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Mi in between the Right and Left
Oddometer: 2,749
West some state.



Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #5979
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪
 
HOT DAMN!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Hammond, IN.
Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfromindy View Post
yes, don't go to wisconsin, head North thru Michigan and cross a big bridge.
I'm no stranger to the UP, but unfortunately time is not on our side for this mini weekend trip.
__________________
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
HOT DAMN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #5980
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪
 
HOT DAMN!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Hammond, IN.
Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
Ha! Yeah, that bridge and much in between is pretty awesome.

However, Milwaukee is a really cool town and north of Milwaukee there is some neat stuff to see. Look through Cannonshot's ride reports for LOTS of info on Wisconsin and some on Michigan. He lives in Wisconsin and is a big history buff:

http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=15667


Directly to your question I bet Goat and Buls will pop in to provide some good places to eat.

There are some neat little towns along the lakeshore like St. Joseph, Saugatuck, Holland and Grand Haven. Muskegon is pretty much.....well....I'll let you make your own opinion, but there is some neat nautical stuff like the Silversides still around and the LST393.



EDIT: If you have some time head north and ride through North Muskegon and take Scenic Drive through Muskegon State Park to the Whitehall area. Good twisty ride and very pretty: http://goo.gl/maps/tpvXE
Milwaukee is a cool town, I travel there for work frequently and have always had a good time.

Great stuff for the Michigan side Thanantos, I'll be sure to waypoint them.
__________________
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
HOT DAMN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #5981
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪
 
HOT DAMN!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Hammond, IN.
Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
The piers and lighthouses at South Haven and Grand Haven provide great photo ops. Or go to the Oval Beach in Saugatuck and climb Mt. Baldy.

For places to eat in that region, its best to wait for our resident culinary-RTE expert to reply.
And yet another 3 spots to waypoint. Thanks Charlie.

I see you're from one of our favorite little brew towns. We can't get enough of the Bells Brewery.



Waiting for the food gurus to chime in.
__________________
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

HOT DAMN! screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 07:12 PM
HOT DAMN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #5982
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,252
Unfortunately there are just short stretches of pavement worthy of riding between South Haven and Muskegon. Saugatuck and Grand Haven are two of my favorite lakeshore towns. Phil's and the Butler are two of my favorite refueling stops in Saugatuck. I don't eat in Grand Haven a lot but Snug Harbor on the channel is one fav. It's too bad you aren't following the lakeshore further north. It gets better the further you go. The ride from Manistee to Northport is epic and the colors this weekend should be near peak....This week looks so nice I might have to cancel my kayak trip and go north on the DR one last time before the shit sets in.

exoff-roadgoat screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 07:49 PM
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #5983
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post

I see you're from one of our favorite little brew towns. We can't get enough of the Bells Brewery.
If you haven't already and you like a good stout, be sure to try their Kalamazoo Stout.
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #5984
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,252
There is a nice brew pub just before you get to Saugatuck in Douglas. The name escapes me? Than must know the owners because all his rides end there.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #5985
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪
 
HOT DAMN!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Hammond, IN.
Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
If you haven't already and you like a good stout, be sure to try their Kalamazoo Stout.
Can't get enough of it my man. Breakfast of champions.

__________________
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
HOT DAMN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014