ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #6106
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer
 
kentnothstine's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Traverse City, MI, USA
Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomed Guy View Post
I met Kent on the Tunnel of Trees run, good guy. Not much dirt out there now, all leaves. I went through a couple 'puddles' the other day and the water was up to my knees as I rode through. A spring dirt run sounds fun, after the floods recede.
__________________
2008 XT250(the new one for her to use)
2003 KLX400SR (the new one)
1997 Ural 650cc (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #6107
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,642
I think newer Goldwings come with a heated shield plug in. Its right next to the cappuccino machine.
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #6108
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,642
Feeling like the American Pickers here. Going thru a pole barn at a barn sale Ted saw an old wheel/fender buried under a bunch of boxes, behind some sheets of plywood. Asked what it was and the person said an old cart of some kind that was missing a wheel. We moved some plywood and lift the boxes off of it. Told the person it wasn't missing a wheel, it was missing two wheels...the two wheels of the motorcycle it would have been attached to. He didn't even know it was a sidecar they had buried back in the corner.



May not look like too much, but inside it was a couple of very old,thick, hard, cracked handlebar grips that said "Indian" along with some old copper oil cans with stampings that were from a company that made them in the early part of the last century.

Scanning the net for antique sidecars and narrowing it down to Indian sidecars, we found that exact wheel/fender on a 1928 Indian sidecar that had a conventional passenger sidecar body. Still searching for more confirmation.

Maybe oldgoat remembers these???
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #6109
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomed Guy View Post
So apparently there is this internet thing where you can look up and find all sorts of things. My helmet is an HJC IS-MAX BT.

HJC site about fogging:
Rain-X & Other Products: Applying RainX or other water dispersing type chemicals work well on HJC shields (except RST mirrored shields) if applied on new shields and if the chemical companies directions are followed diligently. Always use extremely soft and clean cloths for applications.

They also make a heated shield for my helmet:
The HJC Electric Shield stops fogging problems without exception. Constructed of a double lens anti-fog shield with an electric heating circuit between the lenses, it has been used successfully at temperatures below -25 Degrees.

So for about $95, I don't have to reinvent the wheel. I can just throw an extra battery on my bike and use it for heat while on the road, and keep my electrical system free from any damage I would cause from drawing too much power. Or if I wanted to get crafty I could wire the extra battery in parrallel with a disconnect, so it gets charged by the bike and I could disconnect it when I wanted to draw off that battery. Oh, let me count the ways I can make things go wrong...
Jesse you're hard core man!


I have my cold weather standards set at (with the proper gear):

50 and rainy
40 and sunny
35 and sunny after a long period of being off the bike and currently VERY bundled up

I don't know if I want to ride with this guy off road!
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #6110
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
Feeling like the American Pickers here. Going thru a pole barn at a barn sale Ted saw an old wheel/fender buried under a bunch of boxes, behind some sheets of plywood. Asked what it was and the person said an old cart of some kind that was missing a wheel. We moved some plywood and lift the boxes off of it. Told the person it wasn't missing a wheel, it was missing two wheels...the two wheels of the motorcycle it would have been attached to. He didn't even know it was a sidecar they had buried back in the corner.



May not look like too much, but inside it was a couple of very old,thick, hard, cracked handlebar grips that said "Indian" along with some old copper oil cans with stampings that were from a company that made them in the early part of the last century.

Scanning the net for antique sidecars and narrowing it down to Indian sidecars, we found that exact wheel/fender on a 1928 Indian sidecar that had a conventional passenger sidecar body. Still searching for more confirmation.

Maybe oldgoat remembers these???
Headed south soon for some vintage motorcycle porn!
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #6111
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
So if you don't already know Kent nothstine , you need to meet him. He is on the other side of TC right now at the waterworks, looking out the window too. He is also likely to be contemplating riding home on snowy roads. You should PM him.
Careful. I've seen this guy. He's a giant who likes to ride through thunderstorms with little or no lighting depending on his mood.

Be very wary of the Nothstine!
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #6112
buls4evr
No Marks....
 
buls4evr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Michissippi & Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Careful. I've seen this guy. He's a giant who likes to ride through thunderstorms with little or no lighting depending on his mood.

Be very wary of the Nothstine!
All part of that Viking thing up in that Northland. A little freezing rain/snow and a headwind is nothing when you are conquering. Hell, his forbearers had pinetorches for lights on the longships..........
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #6113
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
All part of that Viking thing up in that Northland. A little freezing rain/snow and a headwind is nothing when you are conquering. Hell, his forbearers had pinetorches for lights on the longships..........
Hell, he deserves some kind of a award just for riding on Lakeshore Drive during the tourist season.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #6114
Biomed Guy
Socially Inept
 
Biomed Guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Harrietta, MI
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Jesse you're hard core man!


I have my cold weather standards set at (with the proper gear):

50 and rainy
40 and sunny
35 and sunny after a long period of being off the bike and currently VERY bundled up

I don't know if I want to ride with this guy off road!
The ride in today was a little snowy. Lake effect the entire way, big, wet flakes. My left hand was a wiper the whole way so I could see. Once I got to TC, the roads were dry and the sun was shining. Go figure.
__________________
My '12 DR650 has been riding longer than I have.

My wife: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...
Me: That's not why I hate you...
Biomed Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #6115
Biomed Guy
Socially Inept
 
Biomed Guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Harrietta, MI
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
I think newer Goldwings come with a heated shield plug in. Its right next to the cappuccino machine.
If they have a windshield wiper, you'd be all set.
__________________
My '12 DR650 has been riding longer than I have.

My wife: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...
Me: That's not why I hate you...
Biomed Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #6116
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomed Guy View Post
If they have a windshield wiper, you'd be all set.
What I need to do is rig up a way to drive the rig from the sidecar. That way I could put up the roof and side curtains and be nice and dry......oh and fix up a wiper for the hack, too.....and maybe "t" off the radiator hose and put a small heater core in the hack, too.
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #6117
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,210
Don't forget the peter heater.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #6118
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Don't forget the peter heater.
You mean a handwarmer?
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #6119
Biomed Guy
Socially Inept
 
Biomed Guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Harrietta, MI
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
What I need to do is rig up a way to drive the rig from the sidecar. That way I could put up the roof and side curtains and be nice and dry......oh and fix up a wiper for the hack, too.....and maybe "t" off the radiator hose and put a small heater core in the hack, too.
So... you want a car with a motorcycle bolted to the side of it?
Don't forget the thermal imaging or FLIR camera and monitor, so no matter how bad it gets you can still see to ride. Now that would be cool.
__________________
My '12 DR650 has been riding longer than I have.

My wife: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...
Me: That's not why I hate you...
Biomed Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #6120
epix1718
Studly Adventurer
 
epix1718's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan/Indiana border
Oddometer: 716
First snow down here in Sturgis today.. didn't last more than a few minutes but gave me motivation to start the install my $5 heated grips.
__________________
97 Suzuki DR650
2011 Ural Gear Up 2WD
98 Honda XR250R
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014