ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #8341
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Here's my Babbitt's story. Back in '02 I bought a new Dr650 from a Lansing dealer. I took it to Babbitt's for the 600 mile deal and everything was fine. A few months later it developed the base gasket leak that Babbitt's fixed under warranty. Two months later it started to leak again and it took them two months to get it fixed but hasn't leaked since. The next year the bike started stalling whenever I let off the throttle. I took it to Babbitt's twice trying to get the problem resolved but they couldn't figure out what was wrong. I finally gave up when the service guy said that "it's due to the carburetor design, they all do that". Well, it didn't do it the first year I had it! I then took the bike to Shawmut Hills in Grand Rapids and they fixed it, it was the fuel mixture screw, it was out of adjustment. I went to Shawmut Hills for the next 9 years whenever I needed work done and while their work was always great the problem was that they are 25 miles away while Babbitt's is just 8 miles away. So, I decided to give Babbitt's another try, hoping that things had changed and it did! I've taken the DR650 there now for the last 3 years and the work and attitude from the service department has been great! It was time this past year and after 67,000 miles on the DR to get another bike. Of course, I still have the DR and still ride it a few times a week, but I've always had my eye on the Kawasaki Versys and bought a new leftover '13 from Babbitt's this past June. So, I would recommend them for your needs!
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #8342
Biomed Guy
Socially Inept

Oddometer: 77
Great ride today

I took a ride down to Village Honda in GR this morning to pick up my warranty replacement boots. The originals were supposed to be waterproof, left - yes, right - not so much. After two hours of riding in fog, I got to GR at 8:30, so I stopped at Anna's House for an omlette, yummy. After the guys that were sitting next to me left, I noticed money on the floor. Thought it was their tip that fell. No, it was a couple $100 bills folded up. I looked at the waitress that had the same wide eyed look I had, and said they might want this back. Caught them in the parking lot, ready to leave, they were greatful. When I finished my meal, the waitress said I didn't have to pay, the guy I gave the money back to, called and paid for my food. Yea me, free food! Went and got my boots and had a nice leisurely ride home. Changed and headed into work, but stopped at Hodenpyle overlook for a swig of pop. When I was ready to leave, a couple that had been picnicing, flagged me down. She gave me a bag of cookies. She said he husband is a rider too and he said I would need the cookies. Yea me, free cookies! So now at work snacking on Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked Milk Chocolate cookies. Free breakfast, new boots, free cookies. Life is good.

My wife: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...
Me: That's not why I hate you...
Biomed Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #8343
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,173
I'm obviously going on RTEs with the wrong guys. ..Going for pastys with Buls/Jeff next week. I hope he's not his usual surly self.....
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #8344
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I'm obviously going on RTEs with the wrong guys. ..Going for pastys with Buls/Jeff next week. I hope he's not his usual surly self.....

I hope he is ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #8345
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
So, I decided to give Babbitt's another try, hoping that things had changed and it did! I've taken the DR650 there now for the last 3 years and the work and attitude from the service department has been great! It was time this past year and after 67,000 miles on the DR to get another bike. Of course, I still have the DR and still ride it a few times a week, but I've always had my eye on the Kawasaki Versys and bought a new leftover '13 from Babbitt's this past June. So, I would recommend them for your needs!
Good to hear! Like I said I am trying to go in with an open mind so this helps. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomed Guy View Post
So now at work snacking on Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked Milk Chocolate cookies. Free breakfast, new boots, free cookies. Life is good.
Good for you Jesse. I am convinced that karma always works out in the end. Enjoy those cookies, and the next time you are in West Michigan let me know so we can ride!

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #8346
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Speaking of surly...I have a tendency towards that myself

Have fun and tell us of your adventures, but not the routes.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #8347
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Speaking of surly...I have a tendency towards that myself

Have fun and tell us of your adventures, but not the routes.
I certainly don't need a damn GPS to find Richland! With Jeff as the trail boss I don't need a damn GPS period!.....
Old 07-18-2014, 04:55 AM   #8348
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
I certainly don't need a damn GPS to find Richland! With Jeff as the trail boss I don't need a damn GPS period!.....
Yeah, I don't need no GPS to find Richland either!

When you headed this way?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #8349
Biomed Guy
Socially Inept

Quote:
Good for you Jesse. I am convinced that karma always works out in the end. Enjoy those cookies, and the next time you are in West Michigan let me know so we can ride!
Will do. This was just a quick run to get boots and breakfast.

Quote:
For me, every ride is a RTE.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #8350
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:

For me, every ride is a RTE.
Same here, only two RTEs today. With you being in Harrietta it must be a long ride for lunch? Just the Mushroom in Mesick.

I was in Gramd Haven today. Lots and lots of noisy V twins headed north.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #8351
Biomed Guy
Socially Inept

Quote:
Same here, only two RTEs today. With you being in Harrietta it must be a long ride for lunch? Just the Mushroom in Mesick.

I was in Gramd Haven today. Lots and lots of noisy V twins headed north.
Funny thing about that, been at this location for 9 years and never been to the Mushroom. It just seems too close to home. When riding out, not ready for food at that time, when coming home, almost home, already ate or I'll just grab something from the fridge. But let me tell you, the Old Mission store on Old Mission Penninsula has some awesome subs!

I saw several groups out today, heading south.

By the way, M37 up Old Mission should be called Tar Snake Hwy for the first couple miles. I need to get one of those fancy online picture things so I can post pictures.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #8352
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:

My groups were headed north and yours south. I'm guessing its biker weekend in Muskegon?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #8353
Biomed Guy
Socially Inept

Quote:
My groups were headed north and yours south. I'm guessing its biker weekend in Muskegon?
Where ever the biker weekend is, it sure is going to be a nice weekend to paint the house.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:21 AM   #8354
patj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
I took a ride down to Village Honda in GR this morning to pick up my warranty replacement boots. The originals were supposed to be waterproof, left - yes, right - not so much. After two hours of riding in fog, I got to GR at 8:30, so I stopped at Anna's House for an omlette, yummy. After the guys that were sitting next to me left, I noticed money on the floor. Thought it was their tip that fell. No, it was a couple $100 bills folded up. I looked at the waitress that had the same wide eyed look I had, and said they might want this back. Caught them in the parking lot, ready to leave, they were greatful. When I finished my meal, the waitress said I didn't have to pay, the guy I gave the money back to, called and paid for my food. Yea me, free food! Went and got my boots and had a nice leisurely ride home. Changed and headed into work, but stopped at Hodenpyle overlook for a swig of pop. When I was ready to leave, a couple that had been picnicing, flagged me down. She gave me a bag of cookies. She said he husband is a rider too and he said I would need the cookies. Yea me, free cookies! So now at work snacking on Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked Milk Chocolate cookies. Free breakfast, new boots, free cookies. Life is good.
all this free stuff and you live in Harrietta, MI, its a wonderful life...
patj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:28 AM   #8355
patj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Funny thing about that, been at this location for 9 years and never been to the Mushroom. It just seems too close to home. When riding out, not ready for food at that time, when coming home, almost home, already ate or I'll just grab something from the fridge. But let me tell you, the Old Mission store on Old Mission Penninsula has some awesome subs!

By the way, M37 up Old Mission should be called Tar Snake Hwy for the first couple miles. I need to get one of those fancy online picture things so I can post pictures.
I watched the MSP ride in a parking lot at Bike Time yesterday. He said he would do his stuff a bit faster but the tar snakes were warm ....this guy was good, and even he hates the snakes...
patj is offline   Reply With Quote