ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #8341
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DR Donk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Western Michigan
Oddometer: 345
Here's my Babbitt's story. Back in '02 I bought a new Dr650 from a Lansing dealer. I took it to Babbitt's for the 600 mile deal and everything was fine. A few months later it developed the base gasket leak that Babbitt's fixed under warranty. Two months later it started to leak again and it took them two months to get it fixed but hasn't leaked since. The next year the bike started stalling whenever I let off the throttle. I took it to Babbitt's twice trying to get the problem resolved but they couldn't figure out what was wrong. I finally gave up when the service guy said that "it's due to the carburetor design, they all do that". Well, it didn't do it the first year I had it! I then took the bike to Shawmut Hills in Grand Rapids and they fixed it, it was the fuel mixture screw, it was out of adjustment. I went to Shawmut Hills for the next 9 years whenever I needed work done and while their work was always great the problem was that they are 25 miles away while Babbitt's is just 8 miles away. So, I decided to give Babbitt's another try, hoping that things had changed and it did! I've taken the DR650 there now for the last 3 years and the work and attitude from the service department has been great! It was time this past year and after 67,000 miles on the DR to get another bike. Of course, I still have the DR and still ride it a few times a week, but I've always had my eye on the Kawasaki Versys and bought a new leftover '13 from Babbitt's this past June. So, I would recommend them for your needs!
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #8342
Biomed Guy
Socially Inept
 
Biomed Guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Harrietta, MI
Oddometer: 77
Great ride today

I took a ride down to Village Honda in GR this morning to pick up my warranty replacement boots. The originals were supposed to be waterproof, left - yes, right - not so much. After two hours of riding in fog, I got to GR at 8:30, so I stopped at Anna's House for an omlette, yummy. After the guys that were sitting next to me left, I noticed money on the floor. Thought it was their tip that fell. No, it was a couple $100 bills folded up. I looked at the waitress that had the same wide eyed look I had, and said they might want this back. Caught them in the parking lot, ready to leave, they were greatful. When I finished my meal, the waitress said I didn't have to pay, the guy I gave the money back to, called and paid for my food. Yea me, free food! Went and got my boots and had a nice leisurely ride home. Changed and headed into work, but stopped at Hodenpyle overlook for a swig of pop. When I was ready to leave, a couple that had been picnicing, flagged me down. She gave me a bag of cookies. She said he husband is a rider too and he said I would need the cookies. Yea me, free cookies! So now at work snacking on Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked Milk Chocolate cookies. Free breakfast, new boots, free cookies. Life is good.
__________________
My '12 DR650 has been riding longer than I have.

My wife: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...
Me: That's not why I hate you...
Biomed Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #8343
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,173
I'm obviously going on RTEs with the wrong guys. ..Going for pastys with Buls/Jeff next week. I hope he's not his usual surly self.....
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #8344
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer
 
kentnothstine's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Traverse City, MI, USA
Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I'm obviously going on RTEs with the wrong guys. ..Going for pastys with Buls/Jeff next week. I hope he's not his usual surly self.....

I hope he is ;)
__________________
2008 XT250(the new one for her to use)
2003 KLX400SR (the new one)
1997 Ural 650cc (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #8345
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
So, I decided to give Babbitt's another try, hoping that things had changed and it did! I've taken the DR650 there now for the last 3 years and the work and attitude from the service department has been great! It was time this past year and after 67,000 miles on the DR to get another bike. Of course, I still have the DR and still ride it a few times a week, but I've always had my eye on the Kawasaki Versys and bought a new leftover '13 from Babbitt's this past June. So, I would recommend them for your needs!
Good to hear! Like I said I am trying to go in with an open mind so this helps. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomed Guy View Post
So now at work snacking on Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked Milk Chocolate cookies. Free breakfast, new boots, free cookies. Life is good.
Good for you Jesse. I am convinced that karma always works out in the end. Enjoy those cookies, and the next time you are in West Michigan let me know so we can ride!
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #8346
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I'm obviously going on RTEs with the wrong guys. ..Going for pastys with Buls/Jeff next week. I hope he's not his usual surly self.....
Speaking of surly...I have a tendency towards that myself

Have fun and tell us of your adventures, but not the routes.
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #8347
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Speaking of surly...I have a tendency towards that myself

Have fun and tell us of your adventures, but not the routes.
I certainly don't need a damn GPS to find Richland! With Jeff as the trail boss I don't need a damn GPS period!.....
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:55 AM   #8348
CharlieT
old school
 
CharlieT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo
Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I certainly don't need a damn GPS to find Richland! With Jeff as the trail boss I don't need a damn GPS period!.....
Yeah, I don't need no GPS to find Richland either!


When you headed this way?
__________________
A good bike mechanic only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, use the WD40. If it does move but shouldn't use the duct tape.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #8349
Biomed Guy
Socially Inept
 
Biomed Guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Harrietta, MI
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Good for you Jesse. I am convinced that karma always works out in the end. Enjoy those cookies, and the next time you are in West Michigan let me know so we can ride!
Will do. This was just a quick run to get boots and breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I'm obviously going on RTEs with the wrong guys. ..Going for pastys with Buls/Jeff next week. I hope he's not his usual surly self.....
For me, every ride is a RTE.
__________________
My '12 DR650 has been riding longer than I have.

My wife: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...
Me: That's not why I hate you...
Biomed Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #8350
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomed Guy View Post

For me, every ride is a RTE.
Same here, only two RTEs today. With you being in Harrietta it must be a long ride for lunch? Just the Mushroom in Mesick.

I was in Gramd Haven today. Lots and lots of noisy V twins headed north.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #8351
Biomed Guy
Socially Inept
 
Biomed Guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Harrietta, MI
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Same here, only two RTEs today. With you being in Harrietta it must be a long ride for lunch? Just the Mushroom in Mesick.

I was in Gramd Haven today. Lots and lots of noisy V twins headed north.
Funny thing about that, been at this location for 9 years and never been to the Mushroom. It just seems too close to home. When riding out, not ready for food at that time, when coming home, almost home, already ate or I'll just grab something from the fridge. But let me tell you, the Old Mission store on Old Mission Penninsula has some awesome subs!

I saw several groups out today, heading south.

By the way, M37 up Old Mission should be called Tar Snake Hwy for the first couple miles. I need to get one of those fancy online picture things so I can post pictures.
__________________
My '12 DR650 has been riding longer than I have.

My wife: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...
Me: That's not why I hate you...
Biomed Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #8352
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomed Guy View Post

I saw several groups out today, heading south.
My groups were headed north and yours south. I'm guessing its biker weekend in Muskegon?
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #8353
Biomed Guy
Socially Inept
 
Biomed Guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Harrietta, MI
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
My groups were headed north and yours south. I'm guessing its biker weekend in Muskegon?
Where ever the biker weekend is, it sure is going to be a nice weekend to paint the house.
__________________
My '12 DR650 has been riding longer than I have.

My wife: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...
Me: That's not why I hate you...
Biomed Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:21 AM   #8354
patj
Adventurer
 
patj's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: west michigan sand lake area
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomed Guy View Post
I took a ride down to Village Honda in GR this morning to pick up my warranty replacement boots. The originals were supposed to be waterproof, left - yes, right - not so much. After two hours of riding in fog, I got to GR at 8:30, so I stopped at Anna's House for an omlette, yummy. After the guys that were sitting next to me left, I noticed money on the floor. Thought it was their tip that fell. No, it was a couple $100 bills folded up. I looked at the waitress that had the same wide eyed look I had, and said they might want this back. Caught them in the parking lot, ready to leave, they were greatful. When I finished my meal, the waitress said I didn't have to pay, the guy I gave the money back to, called and paid for my food. Yea me, free food! Went and got my boots and had a nice leisurely ride home. Changed and headed into work, but stopped at Hodenpyle overlook for a swig of pop. When I was ready to leave, a couple that had been picnicing, flagged me down. She gave me a bag of cookies. She said he husband is a rider too and he said I would need the cookies. Yea me, free cookies! So now at work snacking on Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked Milk Chocolate cookies. Free breakfast, new boots, free cookies. Life is good.
all this free stuff and you live in Harrietta, MI, its a wonderful life...
patj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:28 AM   #8355
patj
Adventurer
 
patj's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: west michigan sand lake area
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomed Guy View Post
Funny thing about that, been at this location for 9 years and never been to the Mushroom. It just seems too close to home. When riding out, not ready for food at that time, when coming home, almost home, already ate or I'll just grab something from the fridge. But let me tell you, the Old Mission store on Old Mission Penninsula has some awesome subs!

I saw several groups out today, heading south.

By the way, M37 up Old Mission should be called Tar Snake Hwy for the first couple miles. I need to get one of those fancy online picture things so I can post pictures.
I watched the MSP ride in a parking lot at Bike Time yesterday. He said he would do his stuff a bit faster but the tar snakes were warm ....this guy was good, and even he hates the snakes...
patj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014