User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
alanforn OP
alanforn

Oddometer: 44
airhead cafe completed

Some time ago I acquired a 79 r100 in need of major help, a year and half later and I'm finally on the road. Thanks to members of this site for guidance and help with parts(Walking Bear). Some of the mods:
Lucas headlight shell,idiot lights relocated to bezel
Relocated all electrics to rear of bike under tailsection, ignition switch relocated by seat
Eliminated stock tach/speedo-installed trailtech vapor
Installed Woodcraft clip ons-welded upper triple clamp bar holes shut
Modified Honda SL350 headlight ears(shortened)
CafeRace.com rear section (modified)
Leather seat (local upholster)
Paint-House of Kolor Apple Red
Norton Commando parts- mufflers(inlet swedged to fit), tag/signal holder(modified), seat hold down clamps(mounts on upper shock bolts)
LED signals and brake light-JP Cycles
Built battery box and airbox blank off, Ebay whisky flask belt buckle catch can
Other little odds ends, a fun build. This is my first airhead, a blast to ride! If I can figure out how to add more pics I will show more detail.
Attached Images

alanforn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,133
Holy cow, that's nice.

Very sanitary.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
bongodave
Legalize it, already

Oddometer: 39,145
Put some knobbies on it!
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
I think it looks great! Very nice job. Don't think i've ever seen those (snowflake?) wheels on a cafe but they seem to fit the bike.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,567
Other little odds ends, a fun build. This is my first airhead, a blast to ride! If I can figure out how to add more pics I will show more detail.[/quote]

AMEN to the "figure out how to add more pics" part... show more! What did you do with the old rear brake... most airheads have that standard HUGE brake lever sticking below the exhaust and rising outside of it... your is NICE!

Post again, more pics!

B Peckham
Vero Beach FL

(in process of tearing down and re-doing my /75 60/6.... thanks for the inspire...)
Old 06-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
JustAL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
Clean lines. I love it

alGARDNER
alexandergardner.com

flickr

--

WANT TO SAVE $5 ON SMUGMUG? USE MY COUPON! - raflgiWZAtPVY
JustAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
FUTURE
Left right out

Oddometer: 742
The only thing I don't like is the battery. I know you need one. But could it have been housed where the airbox was??? other than this I think it is one sexy cafe.
2009 Triumph Speedmaster.
FUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,012
Very Nice.

Any idea of the weight of this bike. I am interested in how much weight you shaved off the stock bike.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
Sparkdaddy
aventurero

Oddometer: 926
I like it. Tell us about the pipes. Why Norton? Seems like more work. Were they cheaper?
Sparkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
chappy
Porkchop Sandwiches

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTURE
The only thing I don't like is the battery. I know you need one. But could it have been housed where the airbox was??? other than this I think it is one sexy cafe.
Or a gel battery laid on its side in the tail section
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,396
Cool, nice work!

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:48 AM   #12
DucatiPete
In denial

Oddometer: 162
Fun build+fun result=Fun all round...

NICE!
1973 R75/5 - Black Beauty - love @ 1st ride
1972 Ducati Sport - must look at the 'ol girl again soon
DucatiPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:19 AM   #13
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,887
Good Job, Nice clean looking bike.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #14
alanforn OP
alanforn

[ What did you do with the old rear brake... most airheads have that standard HUGE brake lever sticking below the exhaust and rising outside of it... your is NICE!

Post again, more pics!

B Peckham
Vero Beach FL

(in process of tearing down and re-doing my /75 60/6.... thanks for the inspire...)[/QUOTE]

I purchased the Tarozzi universal rearsets off Ebay, If my memory serves me, I modified the stock backing plate behind the footrest hanger to allow me to properly locate the angle of the new rearset. I then welded a new bracket to make the transition. I believe it worked out that I used the old shifter linkage on the brake side, final angle was adjusted with the linkage. I made a pattern of the footrest hangers out of 16 gauge metal and welded them to the backside of both hangers for additional strength, I don't know if this was needed but felt better about doing it. Full Disclosure- I'm confident that the rear brake does not work as well as it used to, I believe in the process of changing angles and the shorter level contributed to this. Having said that, I don't use it much with the exception of some trail braking.
The Norton pipes were literally lifted off my Norton, currently in pieces but now with less. You can see in the picture that I needed to have them enlarged a bit as the O.D.s were the same. I was hesitant to buy new repros until I made sure they would work. If my memory serves me, repros can be had for about $100.00 apiece, probably switch over to new this winter as I am happy with them. A local muffler shop swedged the mufflers slightly to allow them to fit the header pipes They did this for me in a few minutes and didn't charge. I used the stock muffler mount locations using new mounts which I welded up. I set everything up on the bike, measured and looked about a hundred timed then welded the brackets. I welded shut the old passenger peg mount and installed the small Roundel.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #15
alanforn OP
alanforn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTURE
I went back and forth on the battery, downsizing, eliminating the starter and stashing either in its old home or under the tailsection. The tailsection was out of the question as I used all the available space to locate the electrics that used to reside in the headlight shell, I fabbed a weather resistant steel box to house all the stuff in.
I decided I wanted to keep the starter, this bike has the 5 speed with kicker which I have read is somewhat weak. That left the previous airbox location. I mocked it in and looked at it, in my opinion everything looked a bit cramped. The rear section of the bike looked ultra naked making the bike appear a bit front heavy. Anyway, I decided to go with the smaller BMW mat? battery and build a new box. I used the stock lower tray and cut the rest off and welded the new box to it, this allowed me to utilize the rubber mounts and drains. Finished it up with a little "redneck engine turning" on the metal and shot it with clear coat. In the picture you can also see the blankoff plate made out of 16 gauge metal, the whisky flask belt buckle catch can and the abbreviated choke cables.
Attached Images