Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #16
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
Your bitter disappointment in the Nolan helps in small part to explain the "help me find a narrowly specific motorcycle thermometer made precisely to my specifications" thread.

"happiness is an intellectual choice."
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #17
MotoErik
like a kid in a candyshop

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
... becuase it is made in Italy...
Snort.

That's your problem!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #18
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,578
A lot depends on the bike and the windscreen.............It is impossible to ride my DL650 V Strom with an MRA Vario screen and a BMW Schubert helmet. Terrible buffeting and amazing amount of noise. My Nolan N-102 is perfect on this bike...............I have a 103 on order.

Shows ta go ya................
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #19
the kaz
has become "FERAL"

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Your bitter disappointment in the Nolan helps in small part to explain the "help me find a narrowly specific motorcycle thermometer made precisely to my specifications" thread.

I see a trend happenning
Old 08-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
rx35285
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Foam under cheek part (under strap) Nolan N-103

Franc - is the foam to which you refer specifically produced for this problem? Is Compaco a Nolan distributor? Maybe you could post a picture of the foam so others could try to duplicate it. Thanks, Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by francs
N103 is noisy,on mine majority of the noise come from the cheek part (under strap), you ned a good service, Compaco in Slovenija fix that with foam (so italian service can do to, if they wanted to) some noise is still there, but it's much better, also new pading is available (better fitting aroud neck). Only reason that I bought Nolan is service with reputation and 5 year warranty.

Franc
rx35285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #21
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Staxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #22
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,907
I now have two years and close to 20k miles on my N103. Started having some minor issues: the chin vents were difficult to open and the sun visor started falling down when I hit small bumps, which was a real surprise at night!

It was also disgustingly dirty after a 4k ride from Vermont to Tennessee and back (and lots of curves thrown in on the way). The helmet liner, in particular, was practically slimey from my sweaty noggin.

I sent it to CIMA along with my list of woes. Six days later there was a box on my porch. Six days! They had completely overhauled the helmet, replaced the scratched pinlock visor, and scraped out the disgusting liner to replace it with a brand new one...all at no cost. It was covered under warranty.

I like the helmet. I love the service!

Pete
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #23
xaphod
n00bin' around europa

Oddometer: 158
hey Tage long time no see - maybe we'll do another freezing ride at christmas to see you again :)

Just wondering - i remember seeing you in the N103 in Corsica and i meant to ask, but forgot: when you're using the intercom with S., are you using speakers or headphones to hear? If speakers, how much depth is there in the N103? I need a new helmet and i'm trying to find one that can fit both my ginormous ears ( ) and speakers, because i hate putting in / taking off earphones all the time. In my helmet (scorpion exo 700) the speakers have basically nowhere to go and they kill my ears with pressure, couldn't stand them.

X
xaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #24
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
And, its an ugly f-----g thing.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #25
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,918
am on my 2nd N102 and need a new hard hat soon

did someone here switch from a 102 to a 103 and can compare?
thanks
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #26
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
from reading about a few "minor" faceplants where a good helmet would of had a better result.
but with a Nolan there was concussions and some brain damage.

i never thought the Nolan Felt particularly sturdy nor safe. i would never wear one.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #27
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
from reading about a few "minor" faceplants where a good helmet would of had a better result.

i never thought the Nolan Felt particularly sturdy nor safe. i would never wear one.
Could you please cite a few of those threads? I don't recall reading a single one about brain damage attributed to a particular helmet. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Pete
Old 08-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #28
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox
Could you please cite a few of those threads? I don't recall reading a single one about brain damage attributed to a particular helmet. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Pete
errorwife biffed and ended up with some IIRC bleeding on the brain.

anyway. every nolan i've ever handled felt like it was made of plastic.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #29
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Quote:
errorwife biffed and ended up with some IIRC bleeding on the brain.

Thanks. My question was how was the helmet related to the bleeding? How did the helmet fail in such a way that it was the direct cause of the bleeding? If you take a direct hit to the head the brain bounces around inside in what is called "coup-contracoup;" it doesn't require the skull to be damaged in any way, it's just the brain snapping forward and hitting the inner skull, then being redirected and hitting the opposite side. Both impacts can result in subdural hematomas. I don't believe there is a helmet made that can prevent that from happening if the head's movement is halted abruptly enough.

I hate to see anybody fecked up, but blanket statements of blame just add to the body of misinformation. The one thing you said that I can relate to is the plastic feeling of Nolan helmets, but they appear to hold up pretty well and IMO the manufacturer certainly stands behind their products.

Regards,
Pete
Old 08-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #30
road2blue
road2blue

Oddometer: 840
Quote:

Interesting comment....how would anyone "know" that a different helmet "would have had a better result" ? I'm not defending Nolan, I've only had Shoei, Arai and Schuberth on my head but always wondering what the next helmet will be. So how do we "know" these things after a wreck?
road2blue is offline   Reply With Quote